Window treatment ideas wanted.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Window treatment ideas wanted....

I'm thinking of changing the standard venetian blinds in my camper. I notice the new Trillium has wooden blinds. I see some owners have curtains, thinking about woven shades. I want something that will allow ventilation as well as privacy. The other issue is ease of mounting, I have a bulkhead over 2 windows but not over the third. Thanks for any suggestions, pictures would be appreciative, they are worth a 1000 words.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Along those same lines, I'm thinking about getting rid of the blinds and am wondering how some of you hang your curtains. Thanks.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Wooden Blinds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm thinking of changing the standard venetian blinds in my camper. I notice the new Trillium has wooden blinds. ....
I think you are mistaking day/night shades for blinds.

trilliumrv.com

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We have valances hung on the standard curtain rods, plus auto sun shades cut to fit and lined with fabric on the inside (foil facing outside). The valances allow lots of light and air, and the shades (adhere with velcro) block the light for sleeping or privacy needs. We like not having anything hanging in the way and these fit that bill.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Previous thread link on this subject

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ins-28470.html
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
curtain hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Along those same lines, I'm thinking about getting rid of the blinds and am wondering how some of you hang your curtains. Thanks.
I posted some pics on another thread of our curtain hanging:
Black Out Curtains

This thread went off in different directions from just black out ideas, as many threads do. You can probably find curtain ideas and hanging suggestions on other threads if you do a search.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Bath towels from Chinamart secured to rods with "claw" rings at three windows in aft dinette/sleeper. Worked well at side windows as rod holders can be screwed to underside overhead locker. Not so great in the great "proscenium arch" above the Burro rear window. Rod hangers had to be attached to inside window frame which puts "curtains" a bit low to block lite at top. Should add grommets at same intervel as the rings which would put material slightly above rod and block lite. OK, it wasn't exactly a house-beautiful idea but it was cheap and my wife won't ask me why I'm wiping my hands on the "curtains" hardy har har. We have nothing at the window of the smaller front dinette (which is now permanent with el cheapo swiveling boat seats atop the lockers in place of cushions). Rock guard there blocks lite so as new owner who is rather busy correcting and fitting out, I'm not looking to correct problems I don't have.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A no-thru-the-shell solution for hanging curtain rods:
Attached Thumbnails
BarOnWindowForCurtains.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I simplified. Got rid of the blinds (too much trouble putting them up and down all the time because of the dogs). We bought a vinyl coated table cloth to sort of match sheets, cut it, sewed it (as best as I could ha ha), and just fastened them up with velcro. Now it is quick and easy to open and close curtains. (AND MUCH LIGHTER)

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A no-thru-the-shell solution for hanging curtain rods:
Donna, What a great idea! Is the black metal piece only riveted to the window frame? And this would not get in the way of closing the slider window?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pam, it's not mine. I've had the pic for several years and don't know where I got it... but yes, the bar is riveted to the clamp ring only. I'm thinking you could angle it a bit and put a longer curtain rod on which would allow the curtains to move all the way away from the window for better viewing.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Bob,
I found plastic tracks at Camping World that I mounted at the top and bottom of each window, using a few of the screws for the window frame itself. After sewing up some curtains, I attached the mating slides (also from CW) to the top and bottom of the curtains. The slides come on a strip of thin plastic that you can just sew to the back of the curtain. The white strips at the top and bottom are the tracks.

These photos probably don't show the hardware well enough. I'll see if I can get better photos that will explain it better.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Curb-Side.JPG   Steet_Side.JPG  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here are mine - they have thermo lining on the back to block out light
Attached Thumbnails
small Int 2photo (2).jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Other than Donna D. I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount curtains or blinds or whatever to an all fiberglass interior. Maybe I just glue some wood around the frames that wouls allow mounting brackets?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim looking at the eggcamper site it looks like you have two chooses for mounting the hardware. One you could attach the curtain holders to the window frame directly and make the curtains with grommets which allows you to have a bit more of a header on them so the top part of the window frame is covered or you could you an extension like Donna's photo. I personally perfer using grommets or rings as I find them easier to open & close than pocket curtains. Or you could mount the curtain rod holders hanging down from the fiberglass overhead bins - that way you would not be going through the outside of the trailer. I seem to recall having seen photos here at one time or another of it having been done that way.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I was referred to this thread by DonnaD (of course) in another thread. My Burro had instructions involving a combination of the aluminum window frame and short screws through the inner shell (only) to hang curtain rod brackets. Less work were some little hooks that a previous owner attached with short screws to the inner shell that took stretchy curtain cords instead of rods. I haven't put all of that back together yet, but now I have a couple of options to work with. Of course just gluing the rod brackets up with fiberglass epoxy is another option.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My idea would be to treat the windows nicely.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I like the black out idea... I have a front kitchen Surfside so I want the curtains to go all the around the U-shaped seating area non-stop. Found some flexible plastic track but still have details to work out. pics too come as I get into it but I'm going for a kind of Airstream look
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote