Winter Use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Scamp 16'
California
Winter Use

Hey all,

I'm picking up my new 16' Scamp in a few weeks, and I want to use it over the winter months. I plan to try to stay in warmer climates, but I know I'll have to be where it's cold some of the time.

Any advice?

Leslie
LeslieGErickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGErickson View Post
Hey all,

I'm picking up my new 16' Scamp in a few weeks, and I want to use it over the winter months. I plan to try to stay in warmer climates, but I know I'll have to be where it's cold some of the time.

Any advice?

Leslie
If it will be below freezing, winterize the plumbing, then go camping sans the water works*.
---
* that is to say, no use of water tank, comode, shower, etc. Be like a tent camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
suggestion

You may want to look at installing an electric baseboard heater. I have the standard heater which works for us but can be a little noisy. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the insulation works.
John
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
You might ask Scamp to install a couple extra layers of their insulation if not too late in your build. That would help if they are are willing.

Also insulated (thermopane) windows would be great.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Will you be using it when in cold climates? And how cold are your talking?

Have traveled north to south in winter and its not hard to keep it from freezing up if your only staying in the cold climate a night or simple passing through.

If I stop over in an area where it is freezing out I do the following:

1) Keep the grey tank empty as I can as it is located outside.

2) Carry a gallon of plumping anti freeze with me and pour some down the sink drain and the shower drain & run the shower pump.

3) Never leave the water hooked up to city water connection.

4) Run the hot water heater so I do not need to worry about that tank. The heat from that will also help keep the cabinet it is located in warm as well as any plumping lines in that area.

5) Keep the bathroom door open so the blank tank which is inside the trailer gets some heat.

6) Open up some cabinet doors so heat from the trailer reaches some of the plumping lines located in the back of them.

If your only spending the night someplace and its only a few degrees below freezing you will not need to worry much about your fresh water tank or your toilet tank as both are located inside the trailer.

If your going to park it someplace in freezing weather for more than a few days & or traveling through areas below freezing for more than a day you are going to want to also empty your fresh & hot tank and do a full winterizing. Carry separate water containers for drinking and washing and use public washrooms.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

California
Thanks everyone! I'm eager to see how this all works as I'll be full-timing it after the first of the year. I'm going to have to dry dock it for November and December in South Dakota, so I'll not have any water to deal with. I may sleep in it some, and I'm interested to see how well the heater keeps up.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback!

Leslie
Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Winter use..... I travel to warmer climates in the winter and have gotten caught in cold weather. I found the furnace can keep up at pretty low temps. (we were at 5°F) But, it did go through a lot of propane and no pipes frozen.
Let me give you my configuration as far a water. 12 Gallon fresh water tank and a 26 gallon gray water tank. All the fresh water, tank, tubing(piping) are inside the shell. The gray water is underneath floor in the dinette area.
I never let the inside get near freezing temperatures, 45°F is about as low it ever gets (I run the furnace all night with approx. 50°F thermostat setting.

A bit of thermodynamics information might help. With all the fresh water inside the shell and the fresh water tank kept over 50% full it's going to be pretty difficult to freeze. The gray water tank will have soap, coffee and other stuff in it which lowers the freezing point. Also since it's protected from the sky it's less likely to freeze.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

California
Thanks Byron! That's kind of what I thought.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Simple just don't put water in It until you get to Florida. We have fantastic state parks and you will get to meet all the locals. Most of the people I know that camps that live around here prefers to camp in the winter. Something to do with our god awful humidity we have in the summer. Come on down and enjoy.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We camped in our 16 ft Scamp at temperatures as low as -17 F.
Winterize the plumbing , leave all the tanks empty ( NOT the propane) , carry drinking water / food in your vehicle when traveling and leave the cupboard / bathroom door (s) open when camped.
Thank God it doesn't get as cold in Iowa as it does in Canada or the Northern states . Camping at temps well below zero is difficult at best . Still camping in our Scamp was much more pleasant at below zero temperatures than winter camping in a tent.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote