wintering of battery and propane tank? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #15

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Recommendations for how to store my new battery and propane tank over the winter months? I will be covering my Scamp with it's canvas "suit" and placing it under commercial roof-covered storage.

Recommendations for the new battery and propane tank? Do I leave them on the trailer (disconnected), or remove to an enclosed garage (not too keen on propane tank stored next to my car in tiny garage)? Weather predicted to be warmer this winter (El Nino) in Pacific NW but more rain.
Appreciate all responses. Thanks.
No need to fret about the battery. As another one said, a fully charged battery will not freeze. Just make sure the top of it is clean and dry. And you can disconnect the negative cable to be sure there is no trickle load on it.
The propane bottles stay hooked up and shut off.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Never store a propane tank indoors. You will find it is a violation of the Fire Codes in most states. Insurance companies will void your policy and deny claim if evidence of a propane tank is discovered after a fire loss.

Leave your propane tank on the trailer in a well ventilated location...valve off.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #17

Name: rick
Trailer: scamp 16 [front bath]
Colorado
Marilyn,
Below is a link to a 10 watt solar panel with a PWM controller and the necessary connectors to keep your battery charged all winter. Just disconnect your trailer wiring, connect this to your battery, set the solar panel out in the sun and you're good to go for the winter - and the price is right [$50 from Amazon]. Moreover, it will be available during the summer to "help" with maintaining your battery while camping.
Rick

Instapark® NEW All Black 10W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel with 12V Solar Charge Controller
Old 10-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #18

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Darral: is this the unit you suggest? Amazon Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger @ $24.95.
I looked at Battery Tender.com and they can't ship these to CA or OR.

Would you leave it plugged in 24/7?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Charge the Battery
clean the top
place a shower cap over the top
place on a shelf
retrieve in the spring.

The battery should hold a charge as long as there is no conductive path from the positive to the negative posts. Cleaning the top will pretty much accomplish this, and the shower cap will pretty much keep the battery top clean.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 AM   #20

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Yes, that's the one. I own three of them. I have one on a model airplane toolbox battery (gel cel), one on my riding mower and one on my Scamp as I type. It stays plugged in 24/7. I've lost a couple of batteries (not the Scamp) because of lack of use through the winter. When these chargers are in "maintain" mode, they pull VERY little current.

In the past, I would go down about once a month during the winter and plug in my Scamp for a day or so to make sure my battery stayed topped off. But I dont with this charger. The led is red when it's charging. When it gets near the max charge, it will start blinking green. When the led is solid green, it's in a "maintain" mode. The instructions that come with them explains it thoroughly.

Alot of people will use cheaper chargers like from Harbor Freight. I personally dont trust them- I do the Battery Tender. Again, the warranty speaks very well for this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Darral: is this the unit you suggest? Amazon Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger @ $24.95.
I looked at Battery Tender.com and they can't ship these to CA or OR.

Would you leave it plugged in 24/7?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
For what its worth - I totally agree with Darral. I've used a Battery Tender on a motorcycle battery for a touch over seven years now and it is still going strong. Simply plug it in and forget it (almost). I do check the fluid level in the battery once or twice a year just to make sure.

Bill
Old 10-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Never store a propane tank indoors. You will find it is a violation of the Fire Codes in most states. Insurance companies will void your policy and deny claim if evidence of a propane tank is discovered after a fire loss.

Leave your propane tank on the trailer in a well ventilated location...valve off.
Very important - should there be a fire in the building the tank will go off like a bomb - very dangerous for those fighting the fire !!!!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #23

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
For anyone interested in the Deltran battery tender, there is an Oregon & California approved version for $29.95.

Last winter I stored a battery and found it dead this spring and had to replace it.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...I'm going with a battery tender from now on.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #24

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Thank you M Scott for pointing that about about the Cal/Ore models. That information may prove helpful to others as well.

[QUOTE=M Scott;555029]For anyone interested in the Deltran battery tender, there is an Oregon & California approved version for $29.95.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Very important - should there be a fire in the building the tank will go off like a bomb - very dangerous for those fighting the fire !!!!
It will vent just making a bigger fire.
So do you store all your aerosol cans out doors?
What about your MIG,cutting torch, propane torch, lawn mowers, cars etc?
Store them all outdoors?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It will vent just making a bigger fire.
Creating yet another flame war?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I lived in Wisconsin with no natural gas. In winter our 200 gallon propane tank used for heating the house and cooking was just fine even buried halfway up the sides in the snow. Kinda looked like a long skinny igloo, actually.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
My preference is to leave the propane and battery on the trailer. Just shut the valve on the propane, and ensure the battery is fully charged. If you have no way of running electricity out to the trailer, you could just check the voltage to make sure you are near or over 13V, and all will be good. If it was to start dipping, you might want to bring it in to connect to a smart charger. CTEK has some good ones too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, propane