Winterizing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #15

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Thanks all for your input and alot of it makes sense when you read it.
I will take the cushions inside the heated basement and for peice of mind the batery also
I am hesitent to have electricity running in the trailer all winter with 4 or 5 feet of snow around it.
I guess common sense will tell me what can and cannot be left in the cold
I do have a new 3 way check valve under rear bench seat with the one line that use to go to the storage tank under trailer now just going to a longer line that I put into a portable water tank when I get to a camp without running water so I will have to make sure this is dry. The one that was in the trailer when I got it was cracked due to freezing at one time.
I guess your right also about jacking frame and reducing air pressure in tires will put stress on frame where it was not made to handle it, so this year I will just support weight with jacks and leave tires on ground.
I want to raise the front end because the pooling of water is in the rear part of roof, where heavy air conditioner sits.
If I keep the majority of weight on tires, on ground, and lower rear end so water will not collect will this cause a problem?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Looks like you are on the road to a good "storage season". Having the trailer on an angle shouldn't cause any problems. What are you doing about keeping your refrigerator "fresh"? (Odor free??) We keep a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a small bowl and leave the door open. If your door wants to close on its own accord, you might want to consider parking the trailer with a sideways tilt (to keep the door open by itself!) instead of front to back. Be sure that all your water taps are left open as well. This helps ensure against freeze up problems because when water freezes, it needs to expand. IF there is air trapped in a closed water line the water freezes, expands and cracks the piping "somewhere". IF all water lines are open and the water freezes, it has room to "push" the surrounding air outwards thus negating a burst water line...... (I'm not 100% sure I have a solution to keeping the line open to the toilet however!!!)

Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #17

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I back the trailer up onto three sets of leveling blocks to raise it about four or five inches then lower the tongue to the ground so as to drain all water from the tank. Leave the draincock open and lower trailer to the ground and drop the tongue all the way down to let the snow slide off. Inside I lower the table to the bed position and put bedding in large nylon stuff sacks[breathable] and add one of those drier softener sheets to each. Makes them smell good in the spring. Make sure the dometic fridge latch is locked in a cracked open position so air can circulate. Don,t forget to remove the foodstuffs from the cupboards. Leave nothing that can freeze and then leake all over, or things that will attract critters. Better to use up these things during the winter and restock with fresh in the spring. I clean and spray the tobar and ball with WD40 then stow it in the garage so it won't rust in place during the winter. A little WD40 in the recepticle helps to keep the roadsalt at bay as well.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #18

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
(I'm not 100% sure I have a solution to keeping the line open to the toilet however!!!)
Could you actuate the "Valve" (I think we are talking about the flap in the bowl that opens to allow your rosey smelling waste down) and put a paper towel tube in there to block it from closing all the way? The tube would not only keep it from closing, but allow air to get down there.

What do I know? I just pull a handle and it stays open, or I pick up the thing and bring it inside...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Could you actuate the "Valve" (I think we are talking about the flap in the bowl that opens to allow your rosey smelling waste down) and put a paper towel tube in there to block it from closing all the way? The tube would not only keep it from closing, but allow air to get down there...
The flush valve in the toilet of my Boler B1700 is a sliding design (a gate valve). Last winter I placed a plastic bottle in the opening, tied up to something so it wouldn't fall in. I don't really know if the water supply valve was open - that may require holding the flush pedal down.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #20

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Probably not if you like the grass. The worms will thank you tho.
What Roger said. I live where it snows and freezes often in the winter. I have never put pink stuff in my lines. The trouble with freezing is expansion of the water, putting pressure on the sides of whatever it's trapped in. A liitle drop or trickle can do no damage if it's in a normal sized line. It freezes, expands a knats hiar and melts. Valves may be another problem, but it sounds like you have a Simple 13 without the bells and whistles to worry about.

(I think I will have a love/hate relationship if I ever get my BF 17 with bathroom )
Speaking of worms, here's a can of them. Some swear by doing this, some swear AT doing this. My battery stays put, with 7 watts of solar trickle charger hanging on it. I have no problems.
I simply crank my tongue DOWN an inch or 2. any slope works, gravity is gravity. There is no stress on the frame this way.

I also wouldn't cover with a tarp if you like your finish. A proper trailer cover will protect it. $$$$ I know.

Here is what my trailer lives thru part of the year, with only the simple things listed above. (Once again, I hear laffing from Minnesota)
Hi: Where can I buy a Gnats Hair for my drain Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #21

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Everything is perfect except this :
You should never put any kind of stress on the frame. Keep it on wheels.

And this :
Yes that would cause stress and particularly uneven stress which is even worst. That would also be bad for your refrigerator.
Hi: What about changing wheels and tires for a pair of compact spares from the wreckers. As long as the bolt pattern is the same...leave the trailer on wheels for the winter!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Where can I buy a Gnats Hair for my drain
You have to harvest them on your own.

First, go get a LITTLE set of clippers.....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #23

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
You have to harvest them on your own.

First, go get a LITTLE set of clippers.....
Hi: Sorry Gina...I only have a pair of Geezer Tweezers to pull out whats left of MYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hair!!! I'd have lots of hair if it was in a bowl of soup... Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
As I read through this, water is the real issue. I've never put water in any of the tanks. So is leaving the SCAMP outside during the winter all bad? Have some done it w/o a problem? I do plan to remove all food products. But I am thinking about using the SCAMP a couple times during the winter. Even if it is just an over-night to do some xc skiing up north. I'm in MINN. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Steve, although some members of this forum are fortunate enough to have a garage which can accommodate their trailer, I think very few RVs of any kind are stored indoors over the winter in this area - and we do get real winter. If there is no water in the plumbing, and snow loads on the roof are managed, I don't see a problem.

My B1700 has probably never seen the inside of a building, other than when it was made and when it has been into RV dealerships (or car washes) for maintenance. I have an open-sided shelter - still to be assembled - and if the Boler fits I'll put it under there; however, there's little chance I will ever have a garage for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Steve, my Scamp 16' lived outside all last winter. It didn't complain at all.

While my 25' trailer will enjoy being in enclosed storage for the winter, my 17' trailer will stay outside at the house and get used!

Roger
Old 10-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Roger, I too have been wondering about what to do with my 16 ft scamp for the winter. We purchased it 2-1-06 and it sat out side since then. Do you think it is neccesary to store them indoors fro the winter? My only real concern might be the snow weight and how to deal with that.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Use Gel-Gloss on it twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Wash it regularly and it'll be fine outside. The roofs in those built in the last fifteen or so years are all braced for A/C units. They won't accumulate enough snow to be a weight problem.

Roger