Winterizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Winterizing

A friend suggested a method last year that worked. Not so right now and checking to see what I'm doing wrong?

1. Antifreeze in water tank, already run through cold line nice and pink.
2. Hot water tank isolation valve was closed beforehand and nylon plug already removed. All tanks were previously drained of water.
3. Friend suggested with cold water faucet on, turn on hot water faucet and put hand under spigot, forcing antifreeze through line and into hot water tank.
4. This year I have antifreeze all over my shirt. All that's coming out drain hole on hot water tank is more fresh water, not pink tinged. It was already drained.
5. Also friend suggested that when I was done, push on check valve at city water connect and antifreeze should squirt out. Nada. Nothing.

Reading the written directions like last year that worked. What sounds wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I personally hate the pink antifreeze in anything that I may drink or even put in my mouth. It also adds a lot of work in the spring to preparing your trailer for spring use in that you have to flush out the entire water system, even after numerous flushes it still tastes.

The method I use is low pressure (40 psi or less) compressed air, blow the water out of the system, no water = nothing to freeze. You still need the pink antifreeze but only in the drain traps
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have by-passed the hotwater heater (and it sounds like you did) don't expect any pink stuff to go into it (and it doesn't need to if it's drained). Item #4
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm going to sell Scamp. I can't handle this. After all that work with tail lights, we got rain last night and I have a little water seepage again in floor. Tail lights are dry. This is beyond my skill set and I have no time single parenting and teaching. Thanks for all your help but I couldn't be any more upset tonight and I am just too pressured in my life for time and too dumb I guess. Did the wire thing through the window weep holes and no drainage out weep holes still. Yet no water stains under window frame on rat fur. This is too hard for me.

Thanks just the same.

Wendy.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote