Winterizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2015 SCAMP Sixteen-Footer
Michigan
Winterizing

Folks always seem to be looking for this around this time of year!

charleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
possible flaw....

that video would not work for me.....I don't have access to my fresh tank. It is underslung. Given the shape of the tank I can't be sure that when the pump runs dry there is not a certain amount of water left in the tank. If I poured the AF directly in the tank there very well may be residual amount of AF left in that tank that would take dozens of flushes in the spring to get rid of it all...and that might just be wishful thinking!!

The video is from Scamp with it's tank under a seat somewhere.

I suspect that BF supplies a winterizing pick-up tube and isolation valves because of all the above.
Attached Thumbnails
winter4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Escape 17B sold, 19 on order
Colorado
draining hot water heater tank

I have been unable to remove the white plastic plug/drain from the hot water tank. The video says it is 7/8" socket, but that is too small. Interestingly the owners manual states a 1 1/16 socket, which is far too big. Scamp parts dept said to 'just use a crescent wrench' which doesn't work either.
Anyone else have this issue? The trailer is a 16' 2017 Scamp.

thanks, Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
channel locks....

otherwise referred to as "water pump pliers" (dunno why) work for me....the narrower the jaws the better...good luck
Old 10-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
I have been unable to remove the white plastic plug/drain from the hot water tank. The video says it is 7/8" socket, but that is too small. Interestingly the owners manual states a 1 1/16 socket, which is far too big. Scamp parts dept said to 'just use a crescent wrench' which doesn't work either.
Anyone else have this issue? The trailer is a 16' 2017 Scamp.

thanks, Catherine
Better than knowing its a 16' 2017 Scamp, would be knowing what make and model the water heater is. My 16' 2015 Scamp 16 Std uses an Atwood model and the drain plug requires a 15/16 inch socket wrench.

Note that the plug is plastic and quite tight. Go slow. If you have used the wrong sized tool on it then you might have stripped the head of the drain plug, in which case channel locks or vice grip pliers might work, but its a tight space to work in. I would get a few extra drain plugs and replace them anytime there is any wear or damage at all on the plug, before it gets to the point that it is hard to remove.

Or just do as I do. forget about the water heater. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove for washing dishes, and use showers in campgrounds, truck stops, etc.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If the plug is hard to get a wrench or pliers on, a basin wrench might work
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
On my previous Scamp I replaced the water heater's drain plug with a valve. Worked great. Its on my to-do list on my current Scamp. This one might work, though I used a higher flow ball valve from the local hardware store. I think I remember having to hack-saw the handle down a bit to fit the confined space.

Floyd reminded me to remind you that using teflon tape is a good idea when joining dissimilar metals, in this case brass and aluminum though I think it was iron to aluminum in my long ago Scamp. That's probably why these tanks ship with plastic plugs. Thanks Floyd.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 7.53.53 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just winterized my Scamp. 1 gal of RV antifreeze is all I've ever needed/used on my 13' with bath/shower.

Also, I always drain my Atwood water heater. I dont even travel with it full of water. That's just nearly 50 lbs of unnecessary weight to haul around. Plus, I now use a "Hottrod" water heater unit that screws into the same hole.

Not sure about the nylon being stuck unless it has been in there a long time. Here's a tip that MAY help. Use the nylon tape on the plug that isused on pipe fittings. It works and it's NO problem to loosen when you get ready to take it out. I've used this method for 7 yrs of ownership with NO problems what so ever. Just make sure you look and retrieve any leftover tape out of the threaded hole once the plug is removed. If it's draining, it will more than likely wash out.

[QUOTE=charleeb;668440]Folks always seem to be looking for this around this time of year!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
forget water heater???

"Or just do as I do. forget about the water heater. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove for washing dishes, and use showers in campgrounds, truck stops, etc"

Is that stove wood or coal burning ?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"Or just do as I do. forget about the water heater. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove for washing dishes, and use showers in campgrounds, truck stops, etc"

Is that stove wood or coal burning ?
Its propane of course.. I don't understand the similes.

I'm just pointing out that IMHO the water heater is way more trouble then it is worth (of course YMMV). Keeping it simple means less work, less expense, less trouble and in this case also less wasted water since with the on-board water heater you have to run some water to get the hot water through the pipes. Heat water on the stove and there should be no waste.

I wake in the morning, heat a little water on the stove, pour it into a basin, then wash my face with it. Then take the basin and use the same water to flush the commode. A little water goes a long way.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #11

New York
I have the "Hotrod" electric element that Darral has. John has an interesting idea with the valve, but I prefer the larger hole when I pull the Hotrod out so I can stick the flush tool in and rinse out any debris that may be in the water heater. Our Casita does not have the water heater bypass valve.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #12

I do too Bob. I wasnt going to post the link, but since you mentioned the hole-size, I want you to look at my setup and see what I did. This is why I was suggesting "nylon tape"...yes even on the nylon bushings! I can literally hand-tighten my Hottrod and it will not leak with the tape on it.

BUT, I do have a special tool I made for removing/installing both the Hottrod AND nylon plugs that works SUPER! You may have to scroll down to see it as I detail all of the HOttrod's installation. But the special aluminum tool I designed and machined is at the bottom of the pics. I've never had to use pliers or anything else.

I'll go ahead and explain one quick thing you will see in these pics... I show 2 different bronze bushings that comes with the HR. I used neither and opted instead for a nylon bushing. Another plus or major "upside" to this installation is, with me draining my waterheater as often as I do, this nylon will not wear out the alum. threads in the Atwood. After about 4 yrs usage, I replaced the nylon bushing out for the first time before our last trip about 1 month ago. Not bad!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57648895548394

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have the "Hotrod" electric element that Darral has. John has an interesting idea with the valve, but I prefer the larger hole when I pull the Hotrod out so I can stick the flush tool in and rinse out any debris that may be in the water heater. Our Casita does not have the water heater bypass valve.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
the smiles....

either way, you're burning propane...you could go "simpler" still by building a campfire and boiling water on that

I do know what you're talking about...for twenty years I cruised on small boats....I boiled my fair share of water on the stove for everything...including to add to the solar shower bag to shower up on deck! Don't get much simpler than that.

"wasted" water is not an issue for me. I live in the rainforest and water is pretty well everywhere

A propane bottle lasts me a LONG time as it is....if I wanted to use even less I could go out and shut the heater off BEFORE showering....but I like to keep things "simple" and avoid "trouble" so I don't bother...

to me walking across a campground to a shower house or a parking lot at a truck stop is "complicated" and a lot of "trouble"....when my shower is right there in my trailer... it's clean...ready to go with no surprises/dissapointments

one of those "hot rods" is in my future... I sort of prewired for one when I ditched my converter (a duplex recepticle on it's own breaker....always in the "on" position, every time I plug in at a campground the charger will come on as well as the water heater.... for storage at home I'll pull the water heater plug under the left dinette seat

I like the shower in my trailer so much...I added HEAT to it ! (it can get cold in the rainforest!) The older I get, the more I like my "comforts"
Attached Thumbnails
winter1.jpg   bath2.jpg  

bath9b.jpg   bath5.jpg  

Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
nice install Darral

certainly covered all the "bases"...nice you had the room for a separate breaker too....well done
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Thanks Fran. Nice compliment and glad you liked it. Lowes had a double breaker so I got it and now have a spare. I use my breaker as my on/off switch. Some people simply run a drop cord from the HR out to the pedestal at a campground. I wanted all of mine internal. The most difficult part is installing the thermostat as u can probably tell from the pics.

For what it's worth, what is it you have in your shower to stand on? I want that for ours as I'm tired of standing in residual water at times while brushing my teeth etc.

The Hottrod:
One MAJOR word of caution concerning the "Hottrod". If you'll notice in my pics of the install, I have a very visible light right at the sink. That's for a reason. I havent tried it nor experienced it, BUT the HR instructions clearly state that if you plug it in with the water heater empty, it will only take seconds to minutes and it will burn out the anode heating rod!

Quote:
certainly covered all the "bases"...nice you had the room for a separate breaker too....well done
Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
either way, you're burning propane...you could go "simpler" still by building a campfire and boiling water on that

OIC
Well it probably takes about 5% or less as much propane to heat enough water on the stove for most things, as it does to heat six gallons in the inefficient water heater (ever feel how much heat comes out of the vent on it?).

And there is a big difference between showering in your camper vs. a Scamp. And in a Scamp with a side bath, most men will struggle to fit inside even. So the water heater in a Scamp makes less sense than in larger campers.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #17

Our little 13'er has the front bath. Since we have MANY onlookers, many have complimented how we have more room than their larger RV. Depends on which RV they have of course. But our front bath is very roomy and wouldnt be without the bathroom/shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OIC
Well it probably takes about 5% or less as much propane to heat enough water on the stove for most things, as it does to heat six gallons in the inefficient water heater (ever feel how much heat comes out of the vent on it?).

And there is a big difference between showering in your camper vs. a Scamp. And in a Scamp with a side bath, most men will struggle to fit inside even. So the water heater in a Scamp makes less sense than in larger campers.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #18

New York
Nice setup Darral, and I like the tool and the idea of the nylon bushing. Wonder if a standard issue crowsfoot would fit as I have a couple sets of those., even some that are made for tubing. I'm using the brass bushing and just use a deep socket to remove the Hotrod. Of course sometimes it unscrews from the bushing, sometimes the bushing comes out too. The person that can't get their nylon plug out should have used a 6 point socket, it's probably rounded off now and may have to be drilled and a big easy-out to remove it
Old 10-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
shower floor mat...

I wish I could remember the name....got these at Home Depot....

12x12 squares click together....less than a quarter of an inch thick

(used the same product in a cockpit of a sailboat for years and loved it...so when I got the trailer I realized right away something was needed in bathroom and it HAD TO BE THIN !....you'd probably find it at a marine store too if that was more convenient)
Attached Thumbnails
bath9.jpg   bath9d.jpg  

Old 10-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

Bob, my wife tells me "Your brain never shuts down does it?" Well, I told her I HOPE NOT!

So, I was trying to figure what I was going to use SINCE I have to reach OVER the large nut of the HD to get to the nylon bushing. Not your typical application for any tool. So one night, I was walking around in "Sears" as I always do just browsing the tools. I came across something I'd never used before; I guess because I never had a use for it- and that was a "Crows foot" tool/wrench. It's made for reaching straight in tight places where's there not enough room for wrenches etc. The light came on in my head and as they say, "the rest is history". I came home and started drawing up some ideas. I made a prototype from plywood then converted it to aluminum to the tool in the pic. It had to be really thin and have the weird handle. But it works.

As far as removing the old plug??? One FINAL suggestion I would have if you cant remove the nylon with a wrench and I'd be cautious about drilling it out because of getting shavings inside and/or bumping the threads of the alum outlet). A hot soldering iron. I have a hand-held Wellers "Pistol" style and I've torn into plastic MANY times with it. I promise it will work with some patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Nice setup Darral, and I like the tool and the idea of the nylon bushing. Wonder if a standard issue crowsfoot would fit as I have a couple sets of those., even some that are made for tubing. I'm using the brass bushing and just use a deep socket to remove the Hotrod. Of course sometimes it unscrews from the bushing, sometimes the bushing comes out too. The person that can't get their nylon plug out should have used a 6 point socket, it's probably rounded off now and may have to be drilled and a big easy-out to remove it

Tags
scamp