Winterizing and Winter Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2002, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Winterizing and Winter Camping

:wave
I know many of you do winter camping. I assume that you take bottled water for all uses, but what about using the toilet? I cannot think of a better time for indoor plumbing than on a cold night. However, if there is RV antifreeze in the line, even if you use water from another source, won't it get into the black water tank when you flush? Also, wouldn't this deplete the system of antifreeze? Or is it something like disconnecting the water line to the toilet and then pour water in?

:red Leave it to me to come up with a question that everyone knows the answer to but me. But thanks for helping;)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:23 AM   #2

Suz,

I’m not the best to answer this, I live in California where we don’t winterize.

That said, the holding tank is inside your Casita for the black water. Also, you are adding warm fluids when you use it. Don’t turn on the water pump (which will empty your antifreeze) and use bottled water to flush. With the inside of your trailer at room tempurature, you won’t have a problem.

Double check me on this Charles.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:38 AM   #3

Flushing

Thanks, Michael. Will do. My main concern is that when depressing the lever to release the contents into the black water tank, it will open the water line, thus releasing the anitfreeze into the bowl. I guess that was my real question. I also have noticed that some removed the anitfreeze prior to winter camping. Perhaps the real answer would be just to blow out the lines to remove all water and not use the anifreeze. Hummmm......:chin

Since you were so nice to answer my question, I won't give you a hard time about living in wonderful California where you don't have to winterize!:winky

Old 11-11-2002, 12:20 PM   #4

Hi Suz!

>>won't depressing lever empty antifreeze

Only if you have the water pump on or city water hooked up ... otherwise depressing the toilet lever does nothing, because the "antifreezed" line isn't under pressure.

Besides, once you run antifreeze through all your lines, some folks then blow out the antifreeze with compressed air ... because, after all, all that would be left in the lines are few pools of antifreeze ... and there'd be nothing in the lines to freeze if all the antifreeze ran out.

Michael's right. Don't turn on the pump. Don't connect to city water. Use jugged water to "flush" the toilet. If it's really cold (well below freezing) we might add a jug of antifreeze to the toilet before using.

Michael's also right ... if you are using the toilet, you are adding 98.6 F (37 C) body fluids to the mix on a regular basis. It takes a long time to bring that temp down to freeze (and by then, you're adding more.)

Hate to be so scatalogical here, but as a rule when dry camping or winter camping, Pam doesn't flush toilet paper under #1 circumstances and instead places it discretely in a bag besides the toilet.

Under #2 circumstances, if we can't get to a pit toilet when dry camping or winter camping, it all gets flushed ASAP, no questions asked.

Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 PM   #5

Thanks, Charles!

>>Only if you have the water pump on or city water hooked up ... otherwise depressing the toilet lever does nothing, because the 'antifreezed' line isn't under pressure.

That's another one of those 'head whackers.' It's always those obvious, easy ones that get me!:red

Thanks to both you and Michael as I really hope to do some winter camping and that is one more thing I can remove from my check list. You guys are great!

Old 11-11-2002, 01:12 PM   #6

Thinking outside the box (or the tank as it were), this is a good reason for having one of the small Coleman cat heaters to take to the pit toilet with you; aim it at the seat before sitting down.

Pete and Rats who don't have to leave cage

Old 11-11-2002, 03:12 PM   #7

Pete

Pete, man, it looks like your rats are running loose under your name. Did you remember to put them into the cage?:)

Old 11-15-2002, 02:05 PM   #8

potti seat

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton

Thinking outside the box (or the tank as it were), this is a good reason for having one of the small Coleman cat heaters to take to the pit toilet with you; aim it at the seat before sitting down.

Pete and Rats who don't have to leave cage
===========

Well, Pete:

Some Casitas come with a quick release potti seat so that you can take it (pre warmed) to the outhouse. Even comes with a mitt like the pizza delivery guy carries.

It's so new, it may not be on the list of options yet.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:27 PM   #9

Quick Release Potti is...

a $195 option, according to the pricing sheet I got
today.