Winterizing my UHaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Question Winterizing my UHaul

This winterizing stuff is new to me. We got a light freeze last night and it has already snowed on the Mesa so I had better get this done. I hope I'm not done camping for this year, but I will take water with me if I go after the winterizing process.
I read the tutorial but could not find much that would apply as I think my little trailer is much simpler. Need help in what specificly I need to do. Some RV antifreeze in fresh water port? Some in sink drain? Where does the sink drain out?
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: '84 CT-13 U-Haul
Michigan
Registry
Where does the sink drain out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Where does the sink drain out?
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti

The sink in my CT13, drains directly outside, under the trailer. There isn't a grey water tank.
Wolfyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I took the water tank out of our CT13, but it had a drain valve on it so it could be emptied. I'd put a little rv antifreeze into it through the fill port on the side of the trailer. Also check to see if there is any low spot in the water line that a garden hose screws onto, get some antifreeze into it somehow, perhaps a funnel and small hose. Take out the battery if you have one, store it in a warm place if possible, charge it before reinstalling it next spring. Main idea is to get out any water or get antifreeze mixed in with it. At least put something under the tires, like a board, if trailer is parked outside for the winter. If you decide to jack the wheels off the ground, DO NOT support the trailer with concrete blocks, they can break or crumble, a potential hazard. Shut off propane tank valve. If it's the typical Uhaul that has leaky windows, move all cushions away from them. Put in a few mouse traps and check them occassionally. That's all I can think of right now. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I don't like putting antifreeze in my system. I simply empty the tank as much as possible, including the water lines, and pump the faucet until it pulls air. I take out the battery and store it in the house for the winter. Then I put in some packs of dehumifying crystals and lock the door. That's the beauty of no indoor plumbing. there is nothing to winterize. Oh, and I do bring in the cushions too, to avoid any dampnes/leaks/mouse nasties.
BTW, If you look under your trailer below your sink (just ahead of the axle) you'll see a threaded plastic piece. You can attach a short hose to it and drop it into a grey water collector so you don't drain onto the ground (a no-no in campgrounds).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Smile

Thanks Bob and Pam,
I'm lucky that my trailer will be sheltered from the weather and parked on a cement slab instead of in my side yard. Appreciate all your help. Now I know specifics of what I need to do.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul