winterizing scamp and pests - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #15

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And, sometimes we just go, and don't even bother with reservations.
I NEVER bother with reservations. I never know where will I spend the next night in my Scamp. It could be a state/county/city/national park or commercial camp ground or Walmart parking lot or wildlife preserve. Who knows? I'm travelling.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I can see that method working in many areas, as it did in California 40+ years ago, but doing it in 2015, in the Golden State, (even in what is called "Winter" in some areas,) can be a bit difficult.

In the "Season" in So Cal, roughly February until January, most of the places you mentioned will be booked solid, especially if a weekend day is involved, and Wal-Mart overnight parking, and other free sites are almost non-existent.

But our camping style is to go somewhere to do and see something, so we tend to be more interested in worrying about having enough adult beverage on hand, than if we can land somewhere for three+ nights.

As I mentioned, even Yosemite Valley, with 250 sites available, was booked solid for last weekend.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #17

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
I winterize mine by taking out all the cushions and paper goods and anything not bolted down and tempting to mice, I do the antifreeze as per the manufacturer's instructions, remove and store the battery in the basement, and I put a sachet of Fresh Cab (look on Amazon) inside the camper and change it midway through the winter. Fresh Cab is a peppermint rodent repellant. I used to put q Damp Rid tub in the camper too, but it really wasn't necessary once we found and fixed the leak in the window gasket. So far so good, but if mice were still bothering it I would set snap traps out. Congrats on your new camper!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
BOB

Some of us do have to winterize, it's a fact of life. I lived in sunny southern CA for eight years. Best weather in the world. Also some of the worst traffic with many road rage incidents, some the highest gas prices in the country. What are you going to do when your water runs out in Riverside? The quake .faults are something we 'winterizers' don't loose much sleep over either Bob.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
Some of us do have to winterize, it's a fact of life. I lived in sunny southern CA for eight years. Best weather in the world. Also some of the worst traffic with many road rage incidents, some the highest gas prices in the country. What are you going to do when your water runs out in Riverside? The quake .faults are something we 'winterizers' don't loose much sleep over either Bob.
Yup, SoCal is good weather for sure and the traffic can be bad depending where you live. I do have to chuckle a bit to the quake comment though as I've never lost any sleep in over 50 years to a fault or quake. Felt many in varying degrees but haven't had to shovel snow since 1961 .
Old 11-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #20

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
BTW: How do you "Winterize Pests"
That's how I read the title of this thread too.

I assumed you left out saucers of milk for the mice and then once they had got used to them, switch the milk for RV anti-freeze.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #21

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
OK now... feeling a bit overwhelmed learning all of this! Teal
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #22

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
I winterize mine by taking out all the cushions and paper goods and anything not bolted down and tempting to mice, I do the antifreeze as per the manufacturer's instructions, remove and store the battery in the basement, and I put a sachet of Fresh Cab (look on Amazon) inside the camper and change it midway through the winter. Fresh Cab is a peppermint rodent repellant. I used to put q Damp Rid tub in the camper too, but it really wasn't necessary once we found and fixed the leak in the window gasket. So far so good, but if mice were still bothering it I would set snap traps out. Congrats on your new camper!
This is exactly how we winterized ours, too. Perhaps you've even shared this before and that's where I found the instructions We DO have the Damp Rid in ours, but I don't think we'll need it. One of us goes to storage once a week and checks on our little egg...so far, so good!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
When the lakes freeze over and you can drive on the ice then its winter.
When the ice comes off the lakes then its Summer
In my opinion California has Winter in name only .
Winter to me means below zero temperatures

Tags
scamp