Wiring Adapter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wiring Adapter?

The trailer I just bought has electric brakes and needs "a round plug" according to the current owner. Our Nissan Xterra has the flat 4 post connector. Is this http://www.reese-hitches.com/wiring_adapters.htm#4-Way what I need to be able to pull the trailer and have the lights on it work? I understand the brakes won't work with this. I don't want to fork out the $$$ right now to get the brake thing going, but I do want to pull it soon!

Thanks! - Jeremy :wave

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #2

4-way to 7-way adapter

It's most likely a 7-prong round that is on the trailer now.

The first adapter (the 4->7) is the closest to what you likely need. However - it's really pretty easy to make the adapter you need yourself by just buying the two connectors (7-way car end and 4-way trailer end). The only trick is making sure you hook the wires up right. :)

I had to do this the other week when I went to pick up our new trailer. I initially shelled out the $25 for the adapter, only to find out even THEY didn't bother hooking up the ground wire! I returned it and bought the raw components I needed to hack together the adapter. After some initial worries about what wire went where - it took about 5 minutes to put together.

mkw

Old 06-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #3

use your 4 pin

you can make an adapter or splice a 4 wire plug into existing wireing on trailer. no brakes no auxillary power .
running turn and brake lights will work.
I have towed my trillium without brakes once that was its trip home.
Brakes are very nice to have. Heare in Va tourist area it is next to impossable to leave extra stoppimg distance between cars some one always pulls in ahead of your saftey zone .enough said
have a fun summer of egg-ing it
Al

Old 06-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #4

Connect the Brakes

Hi Jeremy

Get a brake controller! Don't tow without connecting the brakes.

I've towed my Scamp with and without connecting the brakes. I will never tow it without connecting the brakes again.

If you want to see how the regular Scamp trailer wiring is connected, see my web site and click on "Manual".

-- Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/