Wiring electrical question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Steven. With all due respect to Mr. Kirchhoff's laws and the National Electrical Code, the original post described a single wire, most likely less than 5 ft. long, with two glass fuses of different values. I can't think of a practical reason for doing that so I suspect there is something missing. Not to put you on the spot but can you think of a reason to put two glass fuses of different values that close together in a series circuit in a trailer? Can you think of a reason to put two glass fuses of the same value that close together in a series circuit in a trailer? I suspect there is a branch circuit missing between the fuses or as I indicated in my original post the fuse at the battery is to provide an easy disconnect for the battery. Raz
I wasn't sure of the exact situation but your description made it clear ,So NO not in this situation. Sometimes in equipment they will put a larger fast acting over current device to provide short circuit protection and a time delay device for running overcurrent protection in series. I am assuming in this case the fuses are the same size and have the same trip characteristics .My point was that not all series connected over current devices are redundant and in some cases are required and necessary . I taught electrical theory , machine control and code at the Vo Tech College for many years (33) and sometimes I see a complex answer to a simple question. I need to work on not doing that

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I . I taught electrical theory , machine control and code at the Vo Tech College for many years (33) and sometimes I see a complex answer to a simple question. I need to work on not doing that
Me too. Twenty five years at the college level. Mostly Electronics, DC and AC. I usually avoid the electrical posts as the terminology tends to get in the way but this one had me curious. Take care, Raz

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #17

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
The Battery Fuse:

Should there be a SHORT in the cable that connects to the tow vehicle, and/or a short in the tow vehicle wiring, the fuse will blow at the camper battery to protect the wiring of the camper and tow vehicle.

Converter Fuse:

1. Should there be a short in the camper wiring beyond the inline fuse in the camper, the inline fuse will blow to protect the converter and outbound camper wiring.

2. Should the camper be connected to the tow vehicle while the converter is powered up and Should there be a SHORT in the cable that connects to the tow vehicle, and/or a short in the tow vehicle wiring, the fuse will blow on the inline fuse that goes to the converter to protect the wiring of the camper and tow vehicle. Both fuses should blow in this situation.

Tags
electrical