Wobbly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Michigan
Wobbly

I have a 16', 1990 Scamp that feels a little wobbly when it's all set up. I know it's not going to top or something wild but it shakes and jitters a bit when your inside and moving and especially when my kids are tossing and turning. My questions then are:

1. Is this the stabalizers? Could they need replacing, how can you tell and could/should I put the scissors style on? Can I even?

2. Could it be the front Jack? Ours mounts on the side. I've seen newer ones where it's in the middle of the tounge. Do those get old and less stable?

3. Is this a sign of the Avery being bad? It looks good. There's soaked between the tire tops and wheel wells. I can add pics if anyone wants to inspect.

4. Is this just normal. It's not earthquake shaking. Just enough to about me and make me worry my pre scamp is falling apart. I do realize I've got a 16 foot structure supported on a bar in the middle (that's designed to have some give) with just 3 points of contact for stability. Maybe I could set up a little better. Too much on the stabalizers or not enough?

I realize that's questions bundled inside more questions but I appreciate any insights? I haven't been at this long (5 trips total) so it's all quite new. I still don't all know what I don't know.
UP Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I use the screw type stabilizers at the front corners, and the telescoping or "stab" type stabilizers at the rear. If you come up with some kind of supports for the front corners of the frame it will make a big difference.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Michigan
I've thought about that. Do you have them attached to the frame or just bring a lose pair that you stick under when you set up?
Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Before considering any mod, carefully inspect your frame and jacks for any contributing defects.
The sidewinder tongue jack does wobble more than a vertical jack and it could be easily replaced with a vertical jack, especially if you have a 2" coupler.
Replacing the stock stabilizers with BAL stabilizers will make a major difference .
Scissors jacks are no more stable in most applications than the stab jacks.
BAL does make individual jacks as well as the ones shown. They can be installed in the front just fore of the door. I did install both types on a 16 once and it seemed like it was on a solid foundation, no wobble.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0007.JPG   DSCF0008.JPG  

DSCF0011.JPG   DSCF0012.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
A pair of these at the front corners may help:

Camco Screw Jacks

Also, you can transfer more weight onto your rear stabilizers by tilting the trailer nose down a bit and then setting them tight. When you tilt it back to level, you will have more weight on the stabilizers and less on the tires.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I do a maneuver similar to DeBreez to reduce wobble when setting up. I tilt down the tongue an inch BELOW level, then extend the rear stabilizer jacks all the way down, then bring the tongue back up to level. Finally I add 2 screw type stabilize jacks in front corners of the body.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Steve View Post
I've thought about that. Do you have them attached to the frame or just bring a lose pair that you stick under when you set up?
I'm using the jacks similar to the ones Debreez linked to. The ones I had were too tall so I had to shorten them. I like Floyd's solution, more expensive but better.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
on my 13 foot I use the standard Scamp under the rear bumper swing down stablizers.

In the front under my side mounted tongue jack I use a flat foot not a wheel. If you use a stack of blocks under the foot so the jack isn't extended all the way down it will be much more stable. I also use a jack stand screw jack under the tongue on the driver side as close to where the frame goes under the body. This becomes very stable.

I carry extra Leggo type blocks for this and leveling the trailer. I do not use the stabilizers to lift the trailer. The less you need to extend the jacks the more stabil the trailer will be.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Lev...-10pk/21907582
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #9

Michigan
Are those pretty heavy duty? Could I use them to prop up my Scamp up of the axel during winter storage? Dual purpose jacks seem like a good buy!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

Michigan
We just got some of the leg blocks. Quick question on them. How do you block the tires so they don't roll when you're on the Legos? Or is it not really a concern?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Steve View Post
Are those pretty heavy duty? Could I use them to prop up my Scamp up of the axel during winter storage? Dual purpose jacks seem like a good buy!
If you're referring to the Camco screw jacks I linked to, no. They are very light weight, which is great, but not designed for heavy loads. I would get a set of steel jack stands, you can find a pair of 3-ton stands for $20-25.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I block the opposite side tires. With all four jacks down, the trailer has never gone
anywhere.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Name: Fernando
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
New Jersey
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Falicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I mounted a second pair of Attwood like on the rear in front.
Since I have a different front with braces to hold my mini-split compressor I used them and they fold front to rear so ant wiggle might be in a different direction front the rear wiggle.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote