Wood cabinets in the Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Wood cabinets in the Scamp?

Are the wood cabinets a necessary option to get in a new Scamp? Or does the weight make it an unnecessary option?
PMWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Patrick, wood cabinets are necessary if you want the bigger bed. It really depends on your wants/needs rather than considering it a universal unnecessary option.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMWIZARD View Post
Are the wood cabinets a necessary option to get in a new Scamp? Or does the weight make it an unnecessary option?
Here is a comment which I wrote yesterday at Scampers Yahoo group which addresses the question of the deluxe wood interior...

"Most of you know that the Deluxe Interior makes the SCAMP weigh more... and the rest know it ain't so!"

"I would not contest the assertion that the average deluxe weighs more than the average standard.
However I contend that nearly none of the additional weight is due to
differences in equivalent cupboards.
Common sense tells you that the the average deluxe buyer will buy more options and accessories as well as additional actual cupboards.
Comparably equipped the difference is negligible.
In fact two Identical Scamps can vary in weight by a considerable amount, simply by how long the individual parts spend in the mold under the gun.
Now, a lot more emphasis is placed on weight than such factors as frontal area and aerodynamics.
The Scamp shape has proven to provide better towing performance for me than any other fiberglass trailer which I have towed, and my Scamp is far more equipped and heavy than any other 13ft fiberglass trailer which I have brought home so far. That is based on such subjective things as handling and towability,and such objective things as fuel economy on two different TVs.
While the advent of offering a shower in the standard 13 may have affected sales of the deluxe to some degree, there are too many variables to be sure.
I have always expressed a great enthusiasm for these little trailers in every available form. I have an egalitarian affection for them all! Still, I am able to appreciate the unequaled craftmanship which goes into every Custom Deluxe, and the real value which is added by the talented folks at Scamps Custom cabinet shop.
No other Fiberglass trailer maker offers the variety of choice and thus the
value level of a Scamp."

Now, to answer your question... By definition, no option is necessary.
I have had a fully loaded (plus some) Scamp Deluxe for eight years now and have pulled it 60,000 miles without incident, most of that was with a 4CYL Ford Escape. The 10" wider bed is perhaps the only substanitive difference which remains as far as options are concerned, the rest is just a matter of surrounding yourself with the subjective luxury of the finest interior in the industry.

If you like the Deluxe, buy it. If you don't..don't, but there is no need to see this particular option as any sort of impediment to towing.
Our Scamp has propane, a 29 battery, refrigerator, fantastic fan, A/C with heat strip,Bal stabilizers, square tube bumper, furnace,flush toilet, water heater,shower, microwave, and much more. Each of these options adds weight and not one of them is necessary.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Ohio
Thanks for the information. My reasoning was in terms of weight to towing capacity. That is, do you need on the towing vehicle that towing package for the radiator and transmission?

I have a 2011 CRV without a towing package, would this work if I got a 13 ft Scamp that included the shower package?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMWIZARD View Post
Thanks for the information. My reasoning was in terms of weight to towing capacity. That is, do you need on the towing vehicle that towing package for the radiator and transmission?

I have a 2011 CRV without a towing package, would this work if I got a 13 ft Scamp that included the shower package?
Talk to Norm and Ginny (Honda03842) they have experience with a CRV.
You read what I tow and with what.
If you have an automatic transmission, you might consider adding the cooler. Trailer brakes are a good choice also.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi Floyd, Last year I spoke with a fellow at the Scamp
factory in MN. He said that the wood cabinet option added
approximately 400 pound to the weight of the 16 footer.
Why drag around the extra weight unless you need to see
the wood finish? Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Ohio
Thanks Floyd for the information. Yes I have the automatic transmission on my CRV. I thought that the transmission cooler would be a smart addition to the vehicle. Thanks for the advice on the cooler and trailer brakes. That are additions that I will have to get added to the vehicle.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a !999 Scamp standard 16ft. with side dinette and bath I bought it used but if I was going to buy a new Scamp 16 ft , I would get the Deluxe . I find the bed in my standard a little small and the style and finish in the Deluxe to be a lot more pleasing. I do not believe that adding 400 hundred pounds is that big of a factor in your gas mileage . I would rather have what I want and like, then make weight be the only deciding factor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Ohio
Steve,

I am 6 ft so the deluxe may be the way to go the way to go. Also, you are correct in your statement that 400 lbs is not a big factor. You are definitely correct that I should get what I like.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ron Mayo just sold his 2005 13' Scamp Deluxe. In this ad http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-53235.html, he says "Traveling weight is around 1900 pounds with tanks full."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

Ohio
Thanks Donna for that information. That gives me more things to think about. As far as if my All Wheel Drive CRV will be able to tow the trailer.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C Hanson View Post
Hi Floyd, Last year I spoke with a fellow at the Scamp
factory in MN. He said that the wood cabinet option added
approximately 400 pound to the weight of the 16 footer.
Why drag around the extra weight unless you need to see
the wood finish? Larry H
I have explained my position in detail in the post above. Not only do I reject your premise, I am puzzled by the fact that you would ask me to explain it all again....

"Most of you know that the Deluxe Interior makes the SCAMP weigh more... and the rest know it ain't so!"
Apparently you subscribe to the former position and you are certainly welcome to it.
BTW;I see you own a Trillium, I had one once.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Best thing to do about the CRV is to ask a Honda dealer what is included in the tow package, then evaluate what each of the add-ons contributes and whether you think you need it.

Best way to settle the weight discussion is to buy one of each (identically equipped except different cabinets) and weigh them both. Any volunteers?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Ohio
Thanks for the advice Mike. I will do that and find out.

Well buying both won't happen because I am on a fixed income. But if I win the Powerball tonight that won't be a problem. Just have to see what the wife wants then go from there.

Tags
scamp