Wood Cabinets Sagging in Lil Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot
Hello there! I recently picked up a "used" 87' 13.5 bigfoot. I don't know much about these campers but I'm excited to make this into a comfortable rig for my family outings. It seems that many of you have acquired much knowledge fixing and renovating fiberglass campers and I was hoping to tap into any info possible so that I may do things right the first time. My first of many questions to come is about the wood cabnets. They are sagging a bit and the previous owner didn't know what to do for them so he installed support braces.
For instance, the cabinet above the sink has bracing that rest on the counter surface and attaches to the bottom of the cabinets. What is the best way to remove these and support the cabinets right? The interior that the cabinets rest against an inch thick soft foam wrapped in a leather like fabric. I can feel small blocks inside this foam that I would assume are there for the cabinets to tie into.
The cabinets above the dinning table and above the bunk beds are doing the same thing, however; running the length of the "headrest" is quarter inch thick plywood wrapped in wall paper that starts from the front cabinets and finishes in just behind the back cabinets. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

stevebgrassvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hey Steve -

You're right - there are wood strips glued to the interior of the shell. Problem is, the glue gives out. If you're planning on gutting it, you'll want to clean the area around these supports and sand all of the old glue off about 6" around the blocks. Then, tab them in place using fiberglass mat and resin.

I'm by no means a pro with fiberglass, but it worked for me. I could literally hang off my wood supports now as they've become 'one' with my trailer.

The only way to get in there and do it right though, is to take it right down to the bare walls.

Mike
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot