wooden "tires" for winter storage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
wooden "tires" for winter storage?

I thought I saw on here once, and I've searched and searched but to no avail (may not have seen it here after all) but anyway, it looked like someone was winter storing their camper and replaced the tires with wooden "tires". I considered jacking up my boler with jack stands and taking the tires off and storing them inside. But I read the winterization thread and it looks like I'll be just fine keeping the trailer on the axle. I guess I don't have to worry about the bearings either. Anyway, most probably just cover the tires, but I liked the idea of putting the trailer on a temporary tire for storage. I'm not even sure if I'm describing it right.
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Being an ex-St.Vitaler, I know all too well about storing ANYTHING outdoors in the wintertime. With regards to trailers, I'm told its still BETTER to take the weight off of the bearings. Removing the wheels/tires IS a good choice IMHO and while still living in Winterpeg and storing vehicles outside I have even taken a good quality plastic bag and securely wrapped it around the now exposed hub/bearing assembly. Storing the wheels/tires in a dry(LOL!!) warm location is ideal.

What the Trailer Goddess and I now do (living out here on the Best Coast) is put some 'snowies' on. We remove the mag style wheels we have on the trailer (seasonally) and replace them with sacraficial rims n tires. We also jack the trailer up and support it on stands taking the weight off of the axle assembly.....
First snowfall still around Oct 31?? LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

You might not get the same winter, but our summers are way better. I'll take snow 6 month a year, rather than rain 11 months a year! lol

I think I agree with you. I'd rather take the weight off of the axle all together. But then I'm worried about if the storage place needs to move the camper. I hope not. But either way, I suppose I could jack it up, and wrap the tires and axle assembly and therefore the tires are protected from UV and they don't have as much weight on them. Or like you said, I could just get some old rims, and do that.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

Registry
oops, didn't realize you had it an an imound yard, LOL and possibly subject to mobility issues! Better bet then to find spare rims/tires and do a seasonal swap that is unless you aren't too concerned about possible winter damage to the rims/wheels. If you jack it up, would the lot owners lower it, move it and rejack it for you??? (just thinking outloud!!)

I see i ts unseasonally hot there now!!
Balmy 68 degrees n clear here as I type.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

Unseasonably hot? Its august! This is beautiful. And even more beautiful at night, it doesn't drop to frigid temps, but isn't as hot either. I love it. I don't really understand Fahrenheit but isn't 68 kind of cool? Just giving you a hard time!

Anyway, I don't know if they would have to move it. You wouldn't think so? But I also have another option, a friend of my parents said I can store it there, in which case, I would just jack it up and remove the tires all together. But I'd almost rather use the company because its more secure, and might not have as many critters (family friend is a farm). I'm just not sure, this is my first boler (first camper!)
Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 Boler
[QUOTE=Doug Mager;219295]oops, didn't realize you had it an an imound yard, LOL and possibly subject to mobility issues! Better bet then to find spare rims/tires and do a seasonal swap that is unless you aren't too concerned about possible winter damage to the rims/wheels. If you jack it up, would the lot owners lower it, move it and rejack it for you??? (just thinking outloud!!)

I see i ts unseasonally hot there now!!
Balmy 68 degrees n clear here as I type.[/QUOTE

You need to come to Port Alberni The average temp is around 80f.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #7

Right now at 5:30pm its 84f, which is 29c and the temps have come down already. Love it!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-43115.html

There's some talk about it in that thread. It deals with getting it in to a garage but the wooden wheels are pictured in that thread.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #9

Registry
....another option I was toying with was the use of 'tireless' steel wheels of 8 or 10" diameter. They WILL get ruined if used to excess and MAY even wear into a concrete garage floor, but this issue could be circumvented by using sheets of plywood under the steel wheels while the trailer is being moved.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
....another option I was toying with was the use of 'tireless' steel wheels of 8 or 10" diameter. They WILL get ruined if used to excess and MAY even wear into a concrete garage floor, but this issue could be circumvented by using sheets of plywood under the steel wheels while the trailer is being moved.
When you say tireless, do you mean just some old rims without rubber?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #11

Registry
...NOT necessarily OLD rims unless you happen to have a pair of 8/10"ers layin round, LOL but YES no rubber TIRES. That might mean you'd have to actually go out and BUY a pair of new 'smaller' wheels, unless your friendly local auto dismantaler happens to have a pair on hand???

The smaller wheels with no rubber on them would drop the overall height considerably.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #12

Yep, I'm going to have to see what I can find. Looks like I'm going to be camping into October, so I don't have to worry about it quite yet, but time does fly!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Gord,
I made a set of plywood tires to get our trillium in the garage, for indoor storage they worked out well and were not too expensive or complicated to pull off easily. I would be concerned if there was a chance that the plywood wheels would get wet (outside), I guess that is just common sense, id be worried that the plywood would swell and get soft.

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires