As previously mentioned, we are currently renovating our house, and working on the Trillium
isn't our first priority right now. But I did work on it a bit, just to get out of the house for a change.
My next big job will be the electrical
system. I will redo pretty much everything, AC and DC. However, there are a couple things I need to do before I can start working on it.
One of the things I needed to fix, are the upper cabinets and shelves on the ends of the trailer. The reason is my future electrical
system includes new light
fixtures, and these fixtures are mounted under the upper cabinets and shelves. There must have been 3 ou 4 differents types of light
fixtures in that trailer, installed by the previous owners over the years. Every time a fixture was installed or replaced, new screws were used, new holes were drilled under the cabinets. As a result, the cabinet's bottoms are full of holes. Also, various curtain rods and blinds have been installed and removed over the years, they were also screwed under the same cabinets, and also left a bunch of holes. So the bottom of the cabinets and shelves are not looking very good, and the wood has serious damage in some places.
Here's how these cabinets and shelves look in a 5500. I'm talking about those up near the ceiling, the ones with the sliding panels, and on the sides they are simple shelves. The front and the rear of the trailer have a similar arrangement (this picture is not from my 5500 but mine is made the same):
All these cabinets are made with aluminium extrusions and angles, and thin 1/8" plywood with a "fake wood" finish. Everything is held in place with a bunch of screws, attached to the windows' interior wood frame. So it's simply a matter of removing a few screws and the whole cabinet/shelf assembly comes off.
Here are a few pictures of mine. Pictures are taken with the camera pointing up, to show all the holes and wood damage under the cabinets.
The interior of the cabinets wasn't very good looking either. As it was on bare wood, it was almost impossible to clean thoroughly.
So I was looking for a way to fix or hide the damaged wood, have a proper surface to mount my fixtures, and make the inside easier to clean.
I decided to replace all the plywood parts, except the sliding panels, which are still in good condition. I got some 1/8 plywood from my local hardware store, and I used the old ones as a template to cut the new ones. No need to saw, the thin plywood is easily cut using a simple utility knife. Here I've cut the bottom of both main cabinets:
One issue I had was the old plywood had this "fake wood" finish, and the new one was on bare, natural wood. Finding a wood stain that matches that faux finish proved next to impossible. There are too many colors available, and the type of wood also affects how the stain will look. So after a couple tests we decided to do it differently.
When I rebuilt the cabinet above the counter last spring, I lined the underside of the cabinet with a thin sheet of aluminium, to protect it from the heat of the range burners. It looks nice, the bare aluminium matching the stainless steel countertop and the aluminium extrusions of the cabinets. So we decided to do the same with all the cabinets and shelves.
The aluminium sheet I used is regular aluminium flashing you can get at most hardware stores. Thin and light, it is usually painted on one side and on bare aluminium on the other side.
It is easily cut using a utility knife.
On the inside of the cabinets and shelves, we put some metallic finish, Con-Tact brand adhesive shelf liner. Very durable, easy to clean, and looks super nice.