Yardage needed to redo ensolite on a 13' Perris Pacer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Suzy
Trailer: '74 Perris Pacer
California
Yardage needed to redo ensolite on a 13' Perris Pacer?

Does anyone know how much yardage is needed to redo the ensolite in my 13 footer? I'm assuming it would be approximately the same for all of them, but I think my Perris Pacer is closest to a Boler. Also, does anyone know if you can paint the ensolite or if there is one available with a smooth finish that you can paint?

I'm a total newbie at this! I've been looking for one of these for about 3 years and finally got one! I really don't have any technical knowledge about things like wiring, axles, propane etc., so I'm going to need a lot of help. However, I am willing, eager and able to learn just about anything, and want to do as much myself as I can!

I'll be posting pix soon!
Suzy I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy I. View Post
I really don't have any technical knowledge about things like wiring, axles, propane etc., so I'm going to need a lot of help. However, I am willing, eager and able to learn just about anything, and want to do as much myself as I can!

I'll be posting pix soon!
The search button is a good place to start learning. Try the regular, advanced and google.

I would not replace the ensolite unless absolutely necessary. Depending on whether you have seam tape or T-molding there is a slight difference in the prep. Many paint the ensolite, different kinds of paint have been used. Have a look at how I did mine and how it turned out. Most of the cleaning and painting is on pages 2 and 3 of this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Suzy. I'm not lazy, just conservative and I'd clean the dickens out of the ensolite first before painting and THEN decide if it needs it. I've seen some pretty grungy ensolite brought back to life and since you need to clean it anyway before paint... why not?!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

California
Thank you, Donna and Roy. I should have been more specific in my post. I currently have rat fur which is glued directly to the fiberglass, with no insulation underneath. There are two reasons why I wanted to explore other coverings. The first is that it's very thin and I'm worried that it's not going to provide very good insulation. The second is the way it looks; the PO did a terrible, very piecemeal, sloppy installation job, and the fur is grey, which makes it feel dark and dingy inside. What I was actually thinking of doing was installing the Ensolite (or other material) right over the rat fur, which would give me better insulation and a nice, bright, clean look! But I didn't want to bore you all with the details, so I just asked for the yardage!

But thanks for your responses anyway, and Roy, I just have to say WOW! Did you really just clean the stuff (was it ensolite?) and put it back up? What an amazing transformation! I really would not have believed it was possible, looking at those before pictures. Nice job!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy I. View Post
..... What I was actually thinking of doing was installing the Ensolite (or other material) right over the rat fur, which would give me better insulation and a nice, bright, clean look! But I didn't want to bore you all with the details, so I just asked for the yardage!

But thanks for your responses anyway, and Roy, I just have to say WOW! Did you really just clean the stuff (was it ensolite?) and put it back up? What an amazing transformation! I really would not have believed it was possible, looking at those before pictures. Nice job!
If the PO did a sub par job of rat fur application going over it with ensolite would mean you inherit the quality of PO attachment, your sticking to their rat fur and if it does not hold up neither does your work.

Would do some research on glue also, ensolite glues well to hard, rough FG but if I was doing what you suggest I would be concerned that my glue would only be bonding to the surface fibers of the rat fur and might not get a solid bond.

There have been some threads on insulating paint, no experience with using that, you might want to use the forum search and see if you can locate some information.

You really only need enough insulation to control condensation from temp difference between inside and outside. I doubt ensolite has a great R value but you can keep a 13' Scamp toasty with a small cube bookshelf heater. It's only about 360 cu. ft of space to heat.

Good luck!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If the PO did a sub par job of rat fur application going over it with ensolite would mean you inherit the quality of PO attachment, your sticking to their rat fur and if it does not hold up neither does your work.

Would do some research on glue also, ensolite glues well to hard, rough FG but if I was doing what you suggest I would be concerned that my glue would only be bonding to the surface fibers of the rat fur and might not get a solid bond.

There have been some threads on insulating paint, no experience with using that, you might want to use the forum search and see if you can locate some information.

You really only need enough insulation to control condensation from temp difference between inside and outside. I doubt ensolite has a great R value but you can keep a 13' Scamp toasty with a small cube bookshelf heater. It's only about 360 cu. ft of space to heat.

Good luck!
Hmmm...good points. And some of the rat fur is already peeling off, revealing some pretty weak glue. In light of this, what would you sugges? Oh, and also, I'm more interested in keeping the heat out, not in! Probably won't do a whole lot of cold weather camping, although Yosemite in the winter time is spectacular!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You should only need one yard for this project. And you probably can choose between the back yard and the front yard.

I couldn't resist....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote