1 pound propane bottles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
1 pound propane bottles

I want to cut down on the weight on my trailer so I thought about attaching a 1 pound propane bottle instead of the 20 pound tank. I need to know how long will a one pound bottle last on a two burner stove in a 1977 scamp. Also I have a coleman two durner portable stove for outside cooking, how long will it burn on a one pound bottle. I plan to use scamp for traveling and two day one night camping. While traveling I can pick up new one pound bottles at WallyWorld.
TomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I think, if you use the existing lines, you'll spend half a one lb bottle pressurizing and purging each time unless you adapt it to a more direct connection, which, depending on the construction of your stove might require the addition of a regulator.

You can get smaller LPG tanks than 20lb. They are more expensive. BTW, How are you heating? 20lbs isn't a huge weight savings, so I take it you are looking at other areas? Do be careful your other load lightening efforts don't destabilize your tow. You do need weight on the hitch!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
You can get a 5lb tank at camping world. They weigh about half of what a 20lb tank weighs empty (10lb vs. 19lb). So, a full 5lb tank would weigh about 15 pounds versus a 20lb tank that weighs 39 pounds. A reduction of 24 pounds... Not bad.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
A couple additional comments for your consideration. I just purchased a 20 lb fiberglass propane tank off of craigslist (I got a great deal!), it is significantly lighter than a standard 20 lb propane tank, a standard steel tank weighs about 17 lbs + 17 lbs of propane = 34 lbs give or take, you'll save about 4 - 6 lbs using a fiberglass tank which weigh around 9 - 13 lbs depending on the make, not a great weight savings but some.
20 lb Propane Tank - See Thru

You can also buy 10 and 5 lb propane tanks that are smaller and lighter but way more expensive than a 20 lb steel tank.
Google

10 lb fiberglass
Google

5 lb steel tanks
Google

Another option as you suggested are the 1 lb "disposable". But you can buy a refill adapter for about $15 and refill the 1 lb tanks using a larger bulk tank up to 6-8 times or more depending. I have read up on refilling them and the vast majority of people have very positive reviews on the adapters use. When using the adapter the key is to warm the bulk tank to room temp 70-80 degrees, and cool the 1 lb canisters in the fridge or freezer for about 30 minutes, when refilling turn the bulk tank upside down.

Refill adapters here
Google
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Here is a hybrid solution for you. A Coleman Power Pack Coleman Gemini Power Pack at REI.com

I use it for emergency back up. I have a sencond 20 lb tank that I am going to get rid of as soon as it runs out of propane, also to save weight. I have used the power pack on my Wave heater.. which does consume a ton. It lasted for 3 days of heavy use until I got my larger tanks filled.

I actually only paid 15 bucks for mine at Camping World.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
'Gina's' Coleman Power Pack

Not having looked too frequently at my 20 lb. propane tank connector...it does look like the 2-pack has the converter already built in to the outside carrying case. Is that right?
I love it, although I LOVE the UTTER cuteness of the teeny tiny, squat 5 lb. steel tank. I've noticed that it's at least $10-15 more expensive than the 20 lb tank. Why are the smaller items spendier than their larger counterparts? Why, WHY, WHY?
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The main reason that large tanks are cheaper is Supply and Demand. Because there is more demand for large tanks, more are produced, more companies sell them which results in competition, and price is lower.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Not having looked too frequently at my 20 lb. propane tank connector...it does look like the 2-pack has the converter already built in to the outside carrying case. Is that right?
I love it, although I LOVE the UTTER cuteness of the teeny tiny, squat 5 lb. steel tank. I've noticed that it's at least $10-15 more expensive than the 20 lb tank. Why are the smaller items spendier than their larger counterparts? Why, WHY, WHY?
Because you can make one for a million dollars each, or a million for a dollar each. Don't forget, you will lose the possiblity of exchange with the smaller tank and many refill places won't list the 10lb tank for flat rate refill. We bought a tank with a float guage and we think it is worth the minor inconvenience. That 10lb tank is really cool and will likely last for more than one season running just the stove.
We have a stove , furnace,refrigerator, and a hot water heater and our 40lb tank lasts a couple of seasons.The stove uses the least fuel of all the appliances.
If you keep your 20# tank and are like most campers, you could easily lose the difference in weight in onboard supplies, by picking lighter packageing, taking fewer clothes and one less pair of shoes. shop for supplies on the road, or just before your jump-off point when boondocking.
We review our gear about once a year or so and now carry less than half of what we carried when we started, smart packing is the best way to save weight.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Tom, why the need to reduce your trailer weight at the expense of your convenience, comfort and wallet?
Is it a power or fuel economy issue?
Just curious!
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be care of propane loss using the 1# over and over. They have a tendancy to leak. I have friend's that almost lost their monster 5th wheel to a leaker! Penny wise and pound foolish is a very sad way to lose a desirable asset like your trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yes, the coleman is set up for any line which has an acme nut on it. Most trailers now have them. If not, it is simple to add one. You just change the end in the input of the regulator.

I have noticed no difference when using this with a regulator either. I don't use it that often, however. Its only for back up.

I forgot to fill my tanks today tho.. I may let you know in the morning again...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #12

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Tom, you might just want to use the coleman prone stove set up for the 1 lb bottle. These really do last quite a while, it is just hard to quantitate, certainly no less than 20-30 pots of coffee!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: 2005 Casita FD
Georgia
Registry
Donna, Not sure what you are saying, "using the 1# over the other".
cmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cynthia, my friends that I spoke of, had a couple of 1 pounders that leaked in the basement of their monster 5th wheel. They leaked because my friends had screwed on and off the 1 pounders to their barbecue. The seals eventually leaked. And I doubt you'd ever find these people will ever try to refill a disposable propane canister. My friends now only carry these canisters in the open bed of their truck.They figured this was a thump on the head to wake them up and they now choose to heed the warning.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote