1 quick question from a techno-dope - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 78 Burro
1 quick question from a techno-dope

I can*t find the "search forums" spot I thought I remembered. I*m trying to find out how difficult it is to buy a Canadian trailer & transfer the title etc to the states (Minnesota to be percise). is it easy-peasy? some hoops but doable? or don*t even bother trying, you*ll still be in a tent in the year 2092? Any help navigating (I*m sure this has been covered) or quick answers would be much appreciated. thanks.
richard j. olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
A few years ago I brought back to NY a Bigfoot trailer from Canada. The P.O. and I went to a DMV there and did some paper work, then the rest was done @ the border. I had no trouble at all and no fees , just make sure that you dot the i's and cross the T's. And make sure your trailer ID # is right on all the documents even the one's they make out at the border. But that's another story. I do know that the trailer has to be make in Canada for there to be no fees going to the US. At least that the way it was for me at the time.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I tried doing a screen shot like Donna D but no luck.

When you are online in the forums go to the top of the page and under your name is a line of options that goes clear across the page.

The third one from the right side is Search with a triangle beside it that will give you a drop down menu. Use the Google search for best results.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard j. olson View Post
I can*t find the "search forums" spot I thought I remembered. I*m trying to find out how difficult it is to buy a Canadian trailer & transfer the title etc to the states (Minnesota to be percise). is it easy-peasy? some hoops but doable? or don*t even bother trying, you*ll still be in a tent in the year 2092? Any help navigating (I*m sure this has been covered) or quick answers would be much appreciated. thanks.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard j. olson
Step 1) buy an iPad

Step 2) download free FGRV app from app store

Step 3) touch "search" button at bottom of screen

Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard j. olson
To be more helpful... I will say that it might b easier to register it as a home built trailer. My scamp is registered that way, since a previous owner lost the title at some point. It will be issued a new VIN number and title. This is very common around here, since we are a boating town, and boat trailer titles go missing all the time.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 78 Burro
thanks!!!

I want to thank you guys for replying. I found the search drop-down (duh). I*m famous for "Honey have you seen the...?" The usual replie is "Did you check your pockets????"
richard j. olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Richard

Here are a couple of old FGRV discussions on this subject:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ada-38396.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ada-22856.html

But you may find these links to U.S. Customs and Border Protection more informative...
PERMANENTLY IMPORTING A TRAVEL TRAILER: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...NneVB5aw%3D%3D

REGISTERING A FOREIGN REGISTERED VEHICLE: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...iler/related/1

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote