10 ft Horizon Awning on 16 ft Scamp?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Hi a friend just purchased a 2002 16 ft Scamp and would like to add a 10 ft Horizon Awning like I have on my Casita.
Has anyone done a Horizon on their Scamp or have advice pro or con?

Thanking you in advance,
Alva
Alva C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I put a 8 ft. Horizon awning on my Scamp about 4 years ago.

Donna D. just put a 10ft. on her 16 Scamp. I'll let her give some info. on the placement of the trailer brackets. I didn't follow the direction for placement so I had no problems.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes, I did get it mounted and with Joy's help it did go pretty smoothly. The important thing I found out AFTER the fact, was I shouldn't have followed the instructions from Dometic! I should have asked more questions and taken some pictures of the mounting on a Casita, or if Joy was parked near me...really looked over her trailer. The important thing, is there isn't any good brackets available commercially for a Scamp, they have to be made (I have the template information if someone needs it). I even purchased brackets from Casita and sent them back. The ones they sell for their 16' were cheesy at best. FYI...they were right at $100. Between getting the brackets made and purchasing the awning (on sale!!!) total cost was right at $900. OUCH. But worth it to me

This is a picture of the bracket I had made, it's 3" wide 1/4 aluminum and although it's hard to see in the pic, it's actually longer on one leg.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BracketWeb.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	6019

If your friend decides he wants to go through with it, let me know and I'll post as much info as I can, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #4

Yeap, that's the bracket I shared with Donna. I too have the original template/schematic for them.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Yeap, that's the bracket I shared with Donna.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Or you can go the cheap route and use this easy up screen porch instead. Thanks to the list I got one at Walmart last summer and love it. The Scamp door opens and closes easily within the porch. We do take the cover off in high winds but it is very quick to take off and put back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_with_addition.JPG  
Mary Gessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Or you can go the cheap route and use this easy up screen porch instead. Thanks to the list I got one at Walmart last summer and love it. The Scamp door opens and closes easily within the porch. We do take the cover off in high winds but it is very quick to take off and put back on.
Ok Wally World is good !!!
what make is it --name?
I want one

and thank you
right now we just have a tarp that I sewed a channl into & theaaded a rope to fit in the metal channel on the trailer -- works ok but then we still need a bug housejava

looks like you found a great setup!!!!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I like that one from wally world -- I think I want one. But----------
How easy is it to set up and how long would it take me to set it up?
I do camp alone. If it works for the Scamp it should work with a Casita too.

I am looking for something kind of "insta set up" that won't take me all day.

thanks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Thanks for the replys regarding the Horizon awning. Since she just picked up the Scamp last week I'm sure she will ponder her options. We live in Wisconsin so we wont't be doing any additions before March.
If she decides to go fot the Horizion I will contact you Donna D for your template.
My friend is going to retire in a few years and she wants something she can handle easily by herself.

Thanks to all who replyed,
Alva
Alva C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Alva, that is the key, we "youngin's" need something we can do by ourselves. I hate asking others for help, (especially strangers) even tho I am more than happy to help others. I just like that independence of knowing I can do it

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:24 AM   #11

Quote:
If she decides to go fot the Horizion I will contact you Donna D for your template.
My friend is going to retire in a few years and she wants something she can handle easily by herself.

Thanks to all who replyed,
Alva
Let me know too, because somewhere I have the name and phone number of a fellow in Ohio/Indiana maybe, that has been selling Horizon's at a very reasonable price.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Let me know too, because somewhere I have the name and phone number of a fellow in Ohio/Indiana maybe, that has been selling Horizon's at a very reasonable price.
Yep between Joy and I we can probably give her all the info she needs and MORE. Just remember, the awning for a 16 trailer has to be shipped TRUCK freight...not UPS, etc. that adds to the cost. It cost me $60 to go 12 miles
Old 01-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I like that one from wally world -- I think I want one. But----------
How easy is it to set up and how long would it take me to set it up?
I do camp alone. If it works for the Scamp it should work with a Casita too.

I am looking for something kind of "insta set up" that won't take me all day.

thanks
Sorry about the delay but I've been gone. The one I purchased is an Ozark Trail, made by Northpole Limited. It's Model WMT-1410, 14'x10'x84". I paid $44.73 for it at
Walmart last June. I have set it up by myself with no trouble. It took me 10-15 min. See the thread titled "Never Buy An Accessory Bigger Than The Trailer" in the Modifications forum in June for more opinions.
Mary Gessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Ann B, if you want to go 1 step further, Crappy Tire sells a Woods Dining Shelter that has panels on 4 sides that roll up and down.

They are a more expensive, but the side flaps are worth it. There are 2 sides that have a zippered access. We use ours as a standalone dining shelter, but have seen it used in the same manner as in the photo posted by Mary G. Been using ours for about 3 years now, not too hard to put up and take down. They are usually on sale last week in June or first or 2nd week in July for about 50 to 75 dollars off.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Talking

I am new to this forum and not sure what I am doing yet. Was wondering if I could get the information on how to make the bracket to mount an A&E awning on a 16' Scamp. I am in a wheelchair and need help to setup my current awning and wish to replace with the crank ou type.

Thanks in advance
Roddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #16

Roddy, if you are unable to stand and reach up into the case, you will be unable to pull the legs out and down. The awning is first cranked out about 2-1/2 - 3 feet, then the legs are pulled out of the case and rotated to the ends. Then as the awning is cranked out, the legs are physically moved out as the awning is cranked. It only takes a couple of minutes, but I have to walk the length of the awning to move the legs and the go back and crank some more. If you're still interested, let us know... I think I still have the information. The brackets and the awning... total cost was about $900.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #17

Do you think I could use a pole with a hook on the end of it or my extra long grabbers to reach in and pull the legs out. I am currently looking around for someone or a dealer, that may have one that I can look at. Nothing is beyond me when I am determined enough.

Thanks!

Roddy
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #18

I certainly am not going to dissuade you, only you know your limitations. However, the legs are down inside the case and are "locked" in. I find I have to grab the end of the leg near the end of the awning while pulling the leg toward the end of the awning to "unlock" it from a bracket that's in the case to secure the legs during travel. It's something that requires actually grasping the leg, I don't think it would be possible with anything other than a hand. But, as you have mentioned... you're determined. What I will tell you, is don't spend the money until you can physically check it out. These awnings don't come cheap, but are worth the money if can be used (in my opinion). And don't forget, it's not only getting the legs out... it's putting them back in and securing them for travel. You certainly wouldn't want to move the trailer far without the awning case being locked.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #19

Cool

HMMM! Thanks for the insight and will certainly look at one before going further. Would you post the information on what you did to install your awning (bracket and plans) for my files. It would be greatly appeciated.

I am redoing the inside of the trailer (1982 16' Scamp), insulation, plumbing, cabinets, etc... Lot's of fun to me, a part time retired engineer.

Thanks for any help!

Roddy
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #20

I'll have to look for the plans, they're around here somewhere. Be patient.. might be the weekend.

Best of luck

Tags
scamp