To answer several questions. The ring is made from a scrap piece of 3/4"HDMWP. It is fastened into the cup with using 2 of the pan head SS 10-24 bolts (I still have lots of them left) The bolts just carry thru far enough into the outer shell of the plug to hold it in place. I sealed the back side joints with a thin strip of poly butyl tape.
While I was still working in the pulp mill up north I was able to pick up numerous scraps of this material that was in the scrap bins. It machines, drills, threads very nicely. It doesn't need painting
or sealing. Great stuff to work with.
Doing this mod served a couple of purposes: it freed up a lot of space under the sink by getting rid of the huge 30 amp. cable. and sealed off the opening preventing insects (Wasps) from getting in. One of my earlier posts showed how the wasps had almost closed off my furnace
vent with their nest.
I fail to see why a Boler
that has a 110v. fridge
and 1 fluorescent light
needs a 30 amp. rated cable and circuit breaker. The only other item we run on 110v. on occasions is our instant hot water heater and sometimes a small TV.
Well maybe the plug was $4.99 I can't recall at the moment.
The cup was the original 1977 cup with the spring loaded flap. The picture shows the final mounting without the flap installed yet.
When I looked around for new ones, I found the same thing as some of you did. Very expensive of cheap crap plastic. I ran into the same thing on my water tank filler fitting and ended up rebuilding that also. There is just no quality to the stuff anymore. If there is it is too expensive. The old stuff is is much better made and worth rebuilding.
The mill wrights at the pulp mill told me the same thing. They found it was better to rebuild 30 years process pumps than replace them as the new ones where not standing up as long.
That's my rant for the day folks.