110v Dinete Florescent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp Side Dinette 16 ft / 2006 Honda Pilot
I have a side dinette with an under cabinet florescent fixture above it. For the life of me, this fixture seems to be installed "backwards." That is, the solid portion containg the electronics is on the aisle side and the clear cover is toward the wall. The end result is that more light splashs out through the window than carries to the inside stuff, like the fridge and sink across the aisle.

From online pics, it looks like this is the standard installation. I have been inside only one other Scamp ever, there being few in these parts. It was a new one we saw in a neighboring town. In the few minutes we were in it, neither my wife or I noted the position. It was a bright, sunny morning, anyway.

Is it worth turning it around?
RonnieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I would say, "go for it" since that may be the only way to find out if it works better for you. I racked my brain trying to think of why one mounting position might be favored over another. Possibly an "indirect" lighting concept so when you are seated at the table, the light does not shine directly into your eyes?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #3

I don't think the "indirect" effect is anything they were after. There are two 12v lights that anchor each end of the 110V, so the ends are blocked.

I have been reading some prior posts about lighting in general and I see where people have moved away from the "hot" florescents. That may be something I do down the road. Right now I am dealing with what I have and letting myself discover the unit. It was a pretty big leap of faith on my part to grab this unit, having essentailly no experience with the eggs. I was inside a Casita once for 20 minutes. That was what I originally saw in a Vermont campground that got me thinking. Then, a fellow nearby bought a new Scamp last year and we imposed ourselves on him going by one Sunday morning. We live out in the country and people seem a wee bit more disposed to someone walking over for a talk, so we took advantage of that.

But other than that, it has all been looking at pictures and visiting this amazing website. We have been out four times now, three times with electric service and once in the boonies. I expect that ratio to reverse itself as we swapped our tents for a trailer to extend our camping season in the woods. Two of our electric trips were to the ocean side to "developed" campgounds. Little summer left here in New England. My first year on this property a killer frost took out the garden in August.

So, with the anticipation of cooler weather soon, we will be doing exclusively boondock woods camping. I will probably turn that light around for the heck of it even as I use the alternatives to the 110v.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The one in my Scamp is installed "backwards" too. I can think of a couple reasons it might have purposesly been installed that way.

Standing at the sink with the light on, the light could shine directly into ones eyes (depending on the height of the individual)

Light will reflect off the back surface (maybe not a whole lot because of the rat fur..but some) and provide "more" light than if the light was installed facing forward.

What the heck, give it a try and turn it around...if it works for you..Great! If not, you can always turn it backwards again.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Hey Donna, I thought mine was installed backward too. But figured out the light was right, the trailer was installed backward. Sorry MikeB
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #6

Don't think I will have time this winter to turn the whole trailer around. So, guess I will opt to just turn the light around.

Reminds me of what a fellow named Steven Wright related once. He said that one time when he was away absolutely everything in his house was stolen. Then replaced with an exact duplicate.