12 volt computer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Emmit D. Acklin

* * * * * * I have a 10.8 volt laptop I would like to run on 12 volts, will it work or will I fry it????
I made some pictures but see no way to get them off my disk into this post!!
Sage,

Are you sure the Toshiba is 10.8 volts? All the Toshibas I find are either 15 VDC or 19 VDC. If you look at the AC adapter (that you plug in to the wall) it should tell you the output voltage and current.

I'm just guessing, but it looks like the Lind model # TO1545-580
is the DC adapter you need. It's $99.95 direct from Lind, maybe less elsewhere. It's output is 15 VDC at 5 amps.

Where did you see the 10.8 volt specification?

How are things in Terrapin Knob? :wave

Old 07-03-2003, 01:19 PM   #16

Bingo! The Lind site Morgan posted is correct. Lind is the brand I prefer to buy, for the following reason: Many of the companies that sell these adapters sell a "univeral" one that comes with an assortment of tips to fit different brands and models of laptop. They autosense the voltage requirements of the laptop, and adjust accordingly (actually, I don't think it's as fancy a process as "autosense", but that gets the idea across). But, when you put the correct tip onto the adapter, you have a rigid connector that is about 1-1/2" long sticking out of the power port on your laptop. I've found this is succeptible to damage, and if it's the laptop that get's damaged, it's a $300 repair. (We use primarily Dell laptops at the county, and the major weakness we've found in the Dell is the power port on the back - it's not real sturdy). Lind sells adapters to match specific models of laptop, so you get a much less damagable connection. Targus is another company that makes these, but theirs use the tip adapters. My personal one is from Xtend, has a model-specific tip, and was purchased from www.igo.com .

Old 07-03-2003, 01:25 PM   #17

10.8 volt is the battery spec

3600mah 10.8 volts
Old 07-03-2003, 05:30 PM   #18

Aha! Now we get into the meat of the matter. The battery (part number PA2487U) is indeed a 10.8V 3600mAh battery. However, the power pack that you use to plug the Toshiba into AC is probably a PA2450U (guessing, I have an older but similar Toshiba 400CDT) and outputs 15VDC. As I predicted in an earlier message, the laptop will have it's own charging circuit and regulators. Remember, when you plug into the back of the Toshiba, you're not effectively connecting directly to the battery. You're connecting to a built-in charging and power management circuit that charges that 10.8V Lithium Ion battery (at significantly greater than 10.8V anyway).

So, you can buy a power 'adapter' and that is probably the easiest thing to do, but it is electrically safe to plug right into trailer power..
Old 07-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #19

adapters

Some how some some of my posts keep dissappearing, but I have two get my two cents in.

This model laptop has the adapter built in, I have an old compact the same.
all you have is a cord like a razor to plug in right?

if so there may not be an alternative.
Check the connectors on the back of the laptop and see if you can find one that says dc in and gives a voltage.
If you have one, this is the voltage required for an adapter.
I did not find an adapter listed for the 405 models(dc that is) so you may be out of luck.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:44 PM   #20

cheers

:cheers
Old 07-03-2003, 09:58 PM   #21

Sorry your having trouble, Joe. We appear to be haveing some post that aren't loading. We hope to find out the cause and clear up the problem. Glad you kept trying.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:17 AM   #22

That's correct

This model laptop has the adapter built in, I have an old compact the same.
all you have is a cord like a razor to plug in right?
------------------------------------------------------
You are correct Joe, just a razor like cord, no converter. There is no writing around there, just a little wavey line like a "Tilda" .

I guess I'll play it safe and go hug a tree when the battery runs down. A person needs a little creative "Thinking" time now and then anyway.
Thanks everyone!!!! What a gang, What a gang!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #23

weird. I have another toshiba like that but it's a 110CS. I thought anything newer than that would have the external adapter. You might have to go the expensive inverter route then. If you get a cheap one, there's a chance you'll blow the power supply inside the laptop due to the square wave output of cheap inverters. Try to find one that claims to have 'sine wave output' or that shows the output on a graph on the back in the form of a sine wave. But beware, you can expect to pay upwards of a few hundred dollars on a small one. Might end up being cheaper to buy a used laptop with an external power pack. I know it sounds dumb...