12 volt outlets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Gwendolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
12 volt outlets

Neither of the 12 volt outlets on my new scamp work. I was assuming I could use this to charge my cell phone etc is that wrong? Is there a switch for them somewhere? I've called scamp a couple times and left messages but they haven't gotten back to me yet. The trailer is still under warranty but if I'm doing something wrong and just being stupid I guess I'd like to start there. Thanks for the help!
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Have you checked the fuse in the power panel? Do any of your other 12 volt items work? Are you running 120 volts and converting to 12 volts or are you running only on your battery? If your running on 120 volts make sure everything in your power panel is turned on.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Do you have a switch to go from 120 to 12V?
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
You say your trailer is still under warranty, so it is a 2015 or 2016? If so, the lights are 12 volts. Do they work? If so, most likely culprit is a bad fuse for the 12 volt outlets. If you don't already have one, get a cheap multimeter so you can check voltages on your rig. Also, do as stevebaz suggests; make sure the main breaker and the one for the converter are turned on. If all that fails, lift up the port side seat hatch and check that no wires have come adrift from the terminal board you will see there. The 12 volt circuits are those towards the front of the board.
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensrest View Post
...If all that fails, lift up the port side seat hatch and check that no wires have come adrift from the terminal board you will see there. The 12 volt circuits are those towards the front of the board.
Don't know about the OP's rig, but in a 2015 Scamp 16 there is no terminal board in the port side hatch (under the seat)... there is a converter, but the power distribution panel is separate and in the port side cabinet below where the standard fridge would be if I had one.. so don't be confused if your set up is different.

By this time you should have talked to Scamp so they can guide you as to where the wiring for the outlets is, what color wires, where the fuse(s) are, etc. for your rig.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes, you can charge your phone from "working" 12v outlets in the Scamp.

As some mention in a different way, you NEED to be able to "troubleshoot" with some very simple tests.

First, did you get the onboard battery? It would be sitting up front on the tongue...or at least my 2010 does. If not, then you wont have 12v unless you're hooked up to your tow vehicle or plugged into shore power (120v pedestal). IF you have the battery, is it charged? You could check this with a simple volt meter. Your onboard battery also has an inline "fuse". Mine is located in the front closet next to the bathroom. Is the fuse good?

Second and somebody's suggested it already... does any of your smaller 12v lights work? The reason I say "smaller", they included a 16-18" fluorescent light over my sink that is 120v only.

The answers to the questions above could take us to the next troubleshooting area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
Neither of the 12 volt outlets on my new scamp work. I was assuming I could use this to charge my cell phone etc is that wrong? Is there a switch for them somewhere? I've called scamp a couple times and left messages but they haven't gotten back to me yet. The trailer is still under warranty but if I'm doing something wrong and just being stupid I guess I'd like to start there. Thanks for the help!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
I'm not sure if I have 12 volt outlets in my 2005 Scamp (bought second-hand). So I bought a Viatek Pocket Jump (emergency vehicle jump starter & portable power pack); fits easily in my vehicle glove box, and will also charge all my portable devices. I don't expect it to work on a poor battery, though.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

Usually, Scamp install's one 12v as standard. I had an extra installed on the bulkhead and it's accessible as you come through the door. I use one of the voltage meters that plug in. It saved me one time as I was plugged into shore power showing less than the standard 13.6 volts that the converter puts out. I found my converter had come unplugged inside the water heater/electrical box compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm not sure if I have 12 volt outlets in my 2005 Scamp (bought second-hand). So I bought a Viatek Pocket Jump (emergency vehicle jump starter & portable power pack); fits easily in my vehicle glove box, and will also charge all my portable devices. I don't expect it to work on a poor battery, though.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Usually, Scamp install's one 12v as standard....
Not that it really matters but I am quite sure than even the first 12 VDC outlet is an option only ($30 at last check).

I added two 12 VDC outlets and one two port USB outlet myself because I did not like the location where Scamp puts them.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I'm not sure if I have 12 volt outlets in my 2005 Scamp (bought second-hand). .
The socket that used to be used for a cigarette lighter has been adopted as a 12 volt socket. Most vehicles have at least one. Look around yours and you'll see what they look like. Some times they have a flip up cover. I bet there is one somewhere in your Scamp but maybe not.. My Trillium didn't have any. . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

Oregon
According to Scamp 2005 brochure, the 12 volt plug is an option, even on the deluxe. I assume any installation at the plant would be in the same location on the trailer. Does anyone know where I should look?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
According to Scamp 2005 brochure, the 12 volt plug is an option, even on the deluxe. I assume any installation at the plant would be in the same location on the trailer. Does anyone know where I should look?
Yes that is the way I read the brochures also...

I think that the standard install is on on the side of the cabinet by the dinette / bed, near the 120 volt outlets and water pump switch (which I also relocated by the way).

I also believe they use the outlets without covers.

If there is not one in plain sight, than I doubt you have one.

If you want one, however, its not hard.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Sometimes the 12V plug is on the same outlet/connection as the TV Cable connection if you have one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #14

Oregon
Thanks, Gordon. No outlet found, so guess I'll stick to my Viatek Pocket Jump which might also be good on kayak trips.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #15

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
We have a 2014 13 scamp and I had an extra 12volt plug added. Here is what works for me. If plugged into shore power (120 volt) use a plug in charger. If running off the battery use the 9 volt charger. I take both with me to charge up devices.
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #16

Gordon and others....I stand corrected! The 12v outlets ARE an option. I finally pulled my invoice tonight to verify and yes, back in 2010 they were $30 each. The first one they installed at the end of the kitchen cabinet to which I've since moved elsewhere. And as I said earlier, I had them install one on the bulkhead as you come in my door.

The "standard outlet" provided is an electrical 120v one also located on the end of the cabinet. I DID have an extra 120v outlet installed at the bottom of my closet. It has been VERY handy and so has my 12v outlets. I've since added an outside outlet and ran it to the one I had installed at the closet. The only thing I did different was replace the closet outlet with a GFI since the down stream (outside outlet) is accessible from outside my Scamp.

Sorry for the mis-info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Not that it really matters but I am quite sure than even the first 12 VDC outlet is an option only ($30 at last check).

I added two 12 VDC outlets and one two port USB outlet myself because I did not like the location where Scamp puts them.