12 volt system - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
My (recently purchased) U-haul has an AGM battery mainly to power the vent fan, lights are all individually powered LEDs. There is not charging system at the moment, but I would like to install something. Can I rig the battery to charge off of the vehicle when connected via a 4-pin harness, or would I have to change to a 7-pin harness?
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #42

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You could rig it. At that point it might be just as easy (and cleaner) to install the 7-pin, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Yeah. I'm leaning toward keeping the 4-pin and running a separate power wire for battery charging. Our other trailers are all set up with 4-pin connectors.

Rigging power would also give me the option of keeping the 12V fridge in the camper instead of the vehicle while on the road.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #44

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Yeah. I'm leaning toward keeping the 4-pin and running a separate power wire for battery charging. Our other trailers are all set up with 4-pin connectors.

Rigging power would also give me the option of keeping the 12V fridge in the camper instead of the vehicle while on the road.
Be careful putting your fridge in the trailer. Make sure it is firmly secured so it won't bounce around too much.

Also, make sure the charge connection to your TV is only active when the vehicle is running so you won't drain the TV battery when stopped. Some other members learned the hard way that even getting it installed by professionals doesn't guarantee that.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #45

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yep, do what works!

FWIW, many 7-pin connectors are also wired with a 4-pin connector, so you can connect both types. Mine is that way.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Either way would work
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #47

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Wire it up the way it makes it easier and works best for you Steve. I wired up the flat four, round 6 pin & the 7 on my truck so I don't have to use adapters with any of my trailer herd .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #48

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
I had my 1975 13' Scamp wired for solar and had a battery installed this past summer. The battery is housed under the dinette seat (on the drivers side) and is vented to the outside. So far no problems!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote