13' Boler - Support for cabinet question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #1

Name: C
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
13' Boler - Support for cabinet question

We bought our Boler last year, somewhat modified from original.

It still has the above sink overhead storage compartment.

Should this overhead storage be supported via rod(s) from the countertop? I think they were, but I've seen many Bolers where there is no such support.

I have no issues right now with the overhead bin, and only keep light goods in there, but I thought I'd ask lest it become an issue.

Thanks,
Chris
Guy with a Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Chris, I wish I could speak for the Boler needs a bit better. My Scamp 13 uses the wrought iron supports from sink counter to upper cabinets. There are two of them.

Does it appear that supports used to be there? Any fiberglass repair or holes remaining? If so, I would put in supports, but you don't have to use wrought iron. Dome folks have used wood, as in balistrades used on decks. The supports in my scamp do function to help support upper cabinets. That's all I know, but another fine folk will share more soon.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, it would be best to provide some support. It has to do with maintaining the shape of the shell as much as the weight of what's in the cabinets. I believe Boler used a single metal post in the center near the wall.

You can use almost anything to provide the support. Scamp's twisty metal piece is available from the Scamp parts store, but you can rig your own from hardware store stock if you want, as Wendy describes. If you only support one end, it should be the left (rear) side, since the closet helps reinforce the shell toward the front.

If yours has been without support for a long time, it's likely the shell has settled and bulged a little on the street side. You can correct that before installing supports by applying gentle pressure to the roof. Two squares of thick plywood against the floor and ceiling and a 2x4 slightly longer that the ceiling height wedged in place should do it. Screw lightly into the plywood to hold it in place for a day or two while the shell settles into shape. Just be careful not to screw into the floor or shell!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Boler cabinet support

The centre post at the back of the counter on bolers is to bring up the wires for lights, etc. It doesn't provide support like the side, wrought iron supports. Not too bad on paved roads, but I took "Betsey" up a 42 mile rough gravel road and now have damage to the fiberglass from lack of support. Ordered 2 of the wrought iron things to put in since we have so many neat gravel roads up here. But almost anything for support will help.
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's interesting, Jim. I assumed the post provided support, though it did seem an odd location.

I like your idea of adding two, especially since you do a lot of backroad travel.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Name: Lenna & Roy
Trailer: 71 Boler & 73 Boler & 74 Boler
British Columbia
Jim where did you order the wrought iron supports from?? I have 3 bolers in different stages of renovations, 3 different years, and none of them have any evidence of having had supports. I would like to add them if I can find them.
Lenna K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Lenna,

You can get the metal supports from Scamp, however, since they started making the roof 3 inches higher, that metal support is also 3 inches higher. You will have to modify the bend-outs for it to fit between the counter top and the bottom of the upper cabinet. It can be done if you have a hammer, large pliers and an anvil to reshape it.

It would be easier if you can locate one from an earlier model Scamp that has the shorter support. If you can't find one of those, then it may be easier to use a center support made of various materials as posts above have suggested.

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #8

Name: Lenna & Roy
Trailer: 71 Boler & 73 Boler & 74 Boler
British Columbia
Supports info

Thanks for the info Jim. Will give Scamp a call.

Cheers
Lenna
Lenna K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You can use almost anything to provide the support. Scamp's twisty metal piece is available from the Scamp parts store, but you can rig your own from hardware store stock if you want, as Wendy describes.
And it certainly doesn't need to be twisty metal or even metal at all. We've seen everything from Scamp's solution to a nice wooden table leg to polished driftwood to a chrome pipe. Be one of one, rather than one of many!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Lenna,

You can ignore my comment that the new metal bracket from Scamp will have to be reshaped to fit the older campers. It dawned on me that I had to reshape my new one because I raised the kitchen counter top 2 inches when I installed the larger frig. The ones from Scamp should fit right in with no difficulty.

Which now raises the question, what did Scamp do with the additional 3 inches it gained from raising the roof. Did they just raise the upper kitchen cabinets 3 inches, or make them 3 inches larger, or what? I presume they made the closet 3 inches higher to reach the ceiling. Just curious.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Cabinet supports

Got them from Murray Huddle in Alberta. Let me know if you don't see him on this list. I have his contact info on another computer. Sorry for the delays. Been on the road the last week.
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler