13' bounce much? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
13' bounce much?

I am considering a 13 foot Scamp. Do they tow as good as a 16' or do they bounce a little, being so short. A friend said they bounce a lot. I don't think so but just thought I'd ask. I'm pretty sure that if I bought it and it isn't the one for me I could unload it without losing. Although I would prefer a 16' with a side bath, I might have to do a trial run with the 13'. Your thoughts appreciated.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hey Bill, all trailers bounce around some. I've got two TT's of different sizes, a SD17 and a 19' sticky. It does seem like the SD bounces around a bit more than the bigger one but it is lighter and single axle and the other is 1200 lbs heavier with tandems. Just the nature of the beast. Load all the heavy things low or on the floor. Canned goods stored high will probably end up on the floor anyway if you don't. In 30 years I've only had two times I've had a problem. Should have taken a pic of the 'tater salad that did a 180 out of the refer The shorter the trailer is it also tracks closer to the TV tire track in turns.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
I am considering a 13 foot Scamp. Do they tow as good as a 16' or do they bounce a little, being so short. A friend said they bounce a lot. I don't think so but just thought I'd ask. I'm pretty sure that if I bought it and it isn't the one for me I could unload it without losing. Although I would prefer a 16' with a side bath, I might have to do a trial run with the 13'. Your thoughts appreciated.
I would get the 16' if that is what you would prefer. The difference in towability is slim. What is your tow vehicle?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Nevada
Towing with a 2013 VW Tiguan.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Just wanted to "pop in" like Dona did and say that my 13 foot scamp does not bounce. Don't know what folks are talking about. And, by the way, we all owe Dona a great big "thank you" for all she does on this web site. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
Towing with a 2013 VW Tiguan.
That is good news. Like their big brother the T-Regs, the Tigs are great TV's.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #7

Nevada
I was kinda skeptical because my buddy just doesn't like the little campers weather its a 13 foot or 17 footer. But I am a hundred percent sold on them. It's all I want. Nothing more and nothing less. For sure we do owe Donna a great big thank you! Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My 1986 Scamp 13 doesn't bounce around much at all unless your forced into a pothole that makes your eyes cringe worrying about your tires. I tow with a tug more than twice the weight of the trailer. My trailer has a very heavy tongue weight with the group 27 battery and 2 full propane bottles up front. I tow with water tank full and fridge full and stuff on the floor but not overly packed heavy. Awnings, chairs, Ice chests, luggage and food boxes go in the tug and bikes are hung on the tug. I use no sway control or towing aids on the trailer. Of the 8 or so trailers I have towed from my 17ft boat trailer to my old pop up tent trailer to my 1943 military trailer the 13 Scamp has been the easiest and most stable to tow.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
On the way from MN to LA, there were some times when our Scamp 13 bounced so bad that our son in the back seat of our CRV was almost leaving his seat. We sped up, slowed down, moved right in the lane, moved left in the lane and couldn't get it to stop. So we plowed along at 50 mph until the road surface changed and things smoothed out.

Our axle is probably worn out.

We also reduced tire pressure from like 50 psi down to more like 35 and that also helped.

We got from the start of the Mississippi to the end and back, so something must have been ok.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I installed a hitch tightener and now she is a joy to tow. Doesn't sound like it is going to jump off the ball. My camper is a lot smaller and lighter.
Problem solved for $30
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A torsion axle in decent condition of proper specs for the trailer weight should dampen the bumps pretty well. My utility trailer empty bounces way more than the scamp but then it's suspension is designed with emphasis on handling a fully loaded trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote