13' Burro front bunk question - newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Hello,

We just purchased a 1982 13' Burro. This is our first camper and this is my first post, so please be kind if this is a question that was asked before!

The previous owners removed the top bunk. Fortunately they saved the hardware, cushions and bunk. I'm having a bit of trouble re-installing the bunk. The hinges (they may not be original but they match the only holes in the bunk and support) when screwed in doesn't make the top bunk very sturdy (it wobbles a lot) and when you have the bunk down as a backrest, it scrapes the stove wall quite a bit when you flip it up or down. We have a 4 1/2 year old that will be on top and a 2 year old on the bottom so I need to feel safe when this is installed, which I don't feel right now.

Since I have not seen another Burro before I'm trying to figure out the best way to get this fitted properly. It seems like the hinges just screw into a 2x4 that is covered in carpet and glued (liquid nails?) to the fiberglass wall of the camper just below the window. Is this original?

The hinges (2) we have are "L" shaped with 4 screws into the bunk and 2 into the 2x4. when you lift up the bunk, the bunk is raised up off the 2x4 by the "L" in the hinge so the bunk is not resting at all on the 2x4. Is that correct? Should I buy new hinges that will allow the weight to be distributed along the 2x4? If the bunk is flat on the <span style="font-family:fmisspellt spellChecked">2x4 without the hinge</span>, it is not level when the poles are placed in the front. When the "L" hinge is used it raises the back of the bunk by 1" off the 2x4 and the bunk is level when the poles are put in place. ?????

I would love for someone to take some detailed photos of their front bunk and the hinges they have to help me with mine. I can try to post some photos of what I have later.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Rob
Rob Carmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Tent
Talking

Rob, Welcome. I also own a 82 burro. I would first suggest that you look in the document center in the left menu, then choose Trailer Brand Manufacturer, Burro, Look in part 2, page 2. This 1981 manual appears perfect form my 1982 trailer. There are pretty detailed sketches of the correct assembly. I have removed my front bunk, while I am redoing the floor. If needed let me know and I will take pictures. If I recall correctly my hinges were installed upside down, so the bunk wouldn't fold down to the back of the couch. Have you checked for cracks in the frame yet, I saw postings here that got me to go check and where the A frame bends for the trailer frame mine is cracked on both sides. Appears to be a fairly common problem.

Mike
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Thanks Mike!

I found the manual and this will be very helpful. It looks like what I have is the original hardware. I added a 1/2 peiece of wood to the back support where the hinges attach and that seems to level off the bunk. It still scrapes the stove cabinet when it's lowered but I guess I'll have try to deal with it. I may need to shave off an inch to the front of this support wood and then it should swing down properly. I looked over my frame and didn't see any cracks. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob Carmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.......Might it be that the old owners changed the size of the bunk bed. I don't own that make of a trailer, but have (make that HAD) a similar set up in our Trillium. The top bunk, however NEVER came close to the stove cabinet. Our (and others similar) top bunk was secured to the wall with a length of sturdy size piano hinge.

MAYBE that might be an option for you (and an easy re-do as well)????

Belated to the site, m ake yourself ta home and post often (especially if you have pictures, LOL)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Tent
Quote:
Thanks Mike!

I found the manual and this will be very helpful. It looks like what I have is the original hardware. I added a 1/2 peiece of wood to the back support where the hinges attach and that seems to level off the bunk. It still scrapes the stove cabinet when it's lowered but I guess I'll have try to deal with it. I may need to shave off an inch to the front of this support wood and then it should swing down properly. I looked over my frame and didn't see any cracks. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob, I found this manual to line up with my 1982 almost perfectly. In my case the floor and the cracked frame are the biggest issues, and both are repairable. It seams my problem is that the camper sat unused for at least six years. I would also suggest that you check under the floor by the door. This seams to be the weak link. I reinforced the area with angle iron both out and across. Why they designed a camper without support in the doorway I will never understand. Keep in touch it will be nice to share progress as we move forward.

Mike

Tags
burro