Hi, Bret. When I replaced my Burro
floor, I prepped the new ply floor like I previously described to you. Before I put the new ply pieces in place, I rolled the frame back into place without the axle
and blocked it up near its final position to aid in supporting the new floor. Once the new wood was in position, I blocked the frame up into its final position and squared the coach up with the frame. The coach itself was still supported in five places....all four corners, and the fifth between the wheel opening and the door. I then made certain that the door opening was plumb and equal width at the top and bottom. That coach body can flex a LOT without the frame. Once everything was square I applied fiberglass tapes to all the joints in the floor underneath the trailer. Where the joints crossed frame cross members, I just wedged the new floor up enough to get tape and resin between. When that dried, I dropped the coach down onto the frame and drilled new bolts up through, using the original bolt holes for a pattern. I mixed some epoxy resin and from inside the coach poured all the exposed floor joints as full as possible. The tape underneath kept things from running on through. Pour some into those new bolt holes too...it soaks into the wood. When things dried, I put new 1/4" stainless carriage bolts down through with flat and lock washers underneath, securing the coach to the frame. I used my old, one-piece linoleum for a pattern and cut another piece of 1/2" ply for my interior floor. Mixed up a large batch of more epoxy resin and poured it all over the bottom (bolted) floor, then dropped the new interior plywood into place and weighted it down with some concrete blocks and let it dry.
I fiberglass-and-resin-taped the perimeter of the fiberglass to the new
floor underneath and especially around those wheel wells where you undoubtedly saw raw wood exposed originally.
I had some sort of hard ceramic-like goop in those wheel well areas too. Too hard for Bondo....more like ceramic of some sort. It had NOT adhered to the smooth fiberglass. If a place looked like it a water opportunity, I covered it with glass tape and epoxy resin. ps...I have more invested in epoxy resin than I have in the new Dexter axle
. pps...my original Henschen torsion axle
was toast. Rubber was completely collapsed.
Something I should mention: I plated the frame in the bend areas where the frame exits the coach. It wasn't broken, but seemed to flex in that area from road shock when towed.
Now, tell me how to post pics on FGRV and I'll post before, during, and afters of my Burro
Hope this tirade helps....you have my number.
Mike in WV