13' Burro trailer repair - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Have finally purchased a 1983 13' Burro, actually found one nearby, what a stroke of luck. I haved used the information on this forum daily for a number of months. Our little Burro is in great condition, and only needs minor work, except for the trailer frame. The area where the frame bends to form the A-frame and hitch is bent/cracked, and needs repair. Right now I have it patched so that I can move the trailer (still plowing snow here!). I would like to know the best repair technique for this damage. What do I need to know in order to remove the body from the frame, as I don't think it possible to repair unless the body is removed. Judging by the area of damage It would seem as though this is a common area of stress damage. I would rather not re-invent the wheel and am very happy to receive guidance from another member. The trailer does have electric brakes.
Trying to plan our first 'egg' trip for May!
Thank you.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Rozanne, congrats on your Burro! As a former Burro owner, I'm always pleased to see Burros out there.

That is a common area for Burro frames to stress and break. The later Burros had straps (2"x24"x 1/4" or so bars) welded inside and outside the bend to add strength. Unless your frame is cracked completely through, a competent welder should be able to repair the crack, and then add straps to both sides (and bottom perhaps) to reinforce it so it won't crack again without causing any body damage.

Here's a photo of the side of the tongue on the '87 17' I had showing the reinforcing strap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame_reinforcement.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	12233

Roger

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I purchased my 13 with the crack there. This is not uncommon for this style frame and size coach on older units.

I had a good welder sister in a "Box" practically a frame outside the frame on it. (I had one strap repair to it but that turned out pretty bad, cruddy welder)

After the "good" welder fixed it, I had zero concerns about it.

My 17 is re enforced from the factory there.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
My 81" Burro has that type of fix , Has to be at least 8 yrs old. ( I have had the trailer for 5 years) No problem so far.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #5

Unfortunately the side is cracked completely. I like the idea of sistering strapping to re-inforce. I assume the Burro has to be removed from the frame to do this type of repair. any words of guidance would be appreciated as it looks like there are a series of screws across each cross member to attach the Burro to the frame. Ay hidden attachments that i am not aware of? I already plan to remove, replace and re-route the copper line for the furnace, the connection is in a difficult to reach place underneath.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #6

West Coast USA
Registry
Mine was done without removing the frame. I had to remove the propane tanks, for obvious reasons, but a good welder can avoid excess heat on the coach.

My sistered parts + welds went all the way to the top of the frame member within 1/8th of an inch of the actually upper portion of the member.

Does it have the aluminum frame?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #7

West Coast USA
Registry
1 pic of my welds. (Sorry. it's the only one I got here)

Attached Thumbnails
inside_weld3.jpg  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
My body wasn't removed. A good welder can do it without damage
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Remember when adding gussets, reinforcement, etc, don't lay the patches on using verticle welds. (in other words don't use square or rectangle pieces of metal) Always strive to end up with the welds as close to a 45 degree angle to the frame as possible. The straight up and down welds are a weak point and potentionally can crack there again. Also, instead of slabbing a piece of angle or square tubing on, explore the method of "bridging" the weak spot. (Think of a metal truss- stronger and lighter than a solid beam) I trussed my Scamp frame. (can post pictures if wanted) Larry (also did it without removing body)
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #10

West Coast USA
Registry
I have better pics at home, but what you see in the limited one above is done at a 45 on the front side, fore and aft

This is the inside of the "Box". The lower piece is actually an angle aluminum (If there is such a thing) with notches cut on the bottom half so that it formed a bend. The notchedges were then welded together when off the frame to form a bent piece.

The vertical weld you see is on the cross brace and not the frame member. That is the back "strap"

He really did a beautiful job and I have not seen another like it. Way above and beyond. Even other welders complimented it. This, as I understand, is not common in that industry.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #11

Thank you for the help. I was not looking forward to removing the Burro from the frame. So I will pursue an on frame boxed/strapped welding repair. Now if the weather would cooperate ie. warm up we can get on with the project.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #12

West Coast USA
Registry
Here you can see the outside and what it looks like from the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside_weld.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	12246

Attached Thumbnails
outside_weld2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

[quote]Here you can see the outside and what it looks like from the top.

Attachment 12246

Gina- yup that's the type of angled weld I was referring to. And since that is aluminum, he was an artist. That stuff is hard to weld. (TIG) Larry
Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #14

West Coast USA
Registry
This guy is FAA certified. Even tho his shop is dedicated to trailers, mostly horse rigs, he is often called to work at the several area small airports.

He is about to retire and move out of the area, but he has a protege' that has worked closely with him for a few years and I will still take my work to him. He has designed a locking battery box for me and will do a generator box for me as soon as I bring it to him. I also want him to replace the chains holding my fresh and waste tanks. He will construct brackets and strap for them.

Very busy shop, It's hard to get in. He did one other members trailer here. She was just as happy with his work.

Tags
burro