13 foot Boler Furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I have given up trying to find a used one and am looking at a new one.

None are on Ebay with our size requirements.

I have seen photos of some very small units (about half the size Scamp still uses today) but need to know if anyone knows any brands or models I could use?

thanks!
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just a thought---Try e-mailing Trillium Trailers in Calgary and see what type they use.Its worth a shot.I beleive its a 12000BTU Modle
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Trillium Outback / 2007 Toyota Tacoma
We recently purchased a '07 Trillium from Team Trillium in Calgary. Came with a 12,000 BTU furnace by Suburban. Electronic ignition, electric fan and remote thermostat. Quite small so would probably fit in the Boler. Flashed it up and appeared to work fine although the ambient temperature was any thing but cold.

Brian T
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I have checked these units out and was quite surprised at their demeure size, wonderin how they'd stack up (heat out put wise) with a larger sized (older) unit.

I'll be in the 'Loops' July 24/25 at the 'W'est 'B'estern participating in a cross Canada 'hot-rod tour' if you're interested in a meet n greet. My name (although mis-spelled) is/was on a wall mounted plaque as you enter the dining room there-in, LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kurt,

It doesn't take much for these.

I am sitting in a 17 footer with a 3k btu Coleman black cat going right now and am perfectly comfortable.

The same heater cooked me out of my 13.

Have you considered an Olympian Wave 3? Cat heater, with all the advantages (Uses no electricity, takes up no space, uses oxygen, hangs on a wall) and am considering dumping my furnace to install another one in here. Mine went with my 13

But... it worked great in there!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #6

I do not want anything that consumes oxygen....I need one that vents to the outside and something I can run for some time while at night - so I want a proper furnace.

If it was just me (and perhaps my wife) and may be okay with a free standing propane heater but I have my 20 month old daughter with us and do not want to risk the asphyxia risks that are involved. I know most have the low oxygen sensors but I am not willing to put our lives in the hands of an electric sensor. I suppose if I wanted to just heat the trailer before bed time I could fire up the stove but I want something I can run for part of the night.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I do not want anything that consumes oxygen....I need one that vents to the outside and something I can run for some time while at night - so I want a proper furnace.

If it was just me (and perhaps my wife) and may be okay with a free standing propane heater but I have my 20 month old daughter with us and do not want to risk the asphyxia risks that are involved. I know most have the low oxygen sensors but I am not willing to put our lives in the hands of an electric sensor. I suppose if I wanted to just heat the trailer before bed time I could fire up the stove but I want something I can run for part of the night.
We have a Scamp 16' and generally use a small thermostatically controlled electric heater as long as we have access to 120 V power. We will use the propane furnace if necessary but the fan is quite loud. The electric heater is one of the "cube" units and takes up almost no space in the camper.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #8

we have a small electric one as well and am very happy with it but we are usually camping in places without power
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I hear the ole clay pot on the stovetop works well Kurt
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
Kurt-Don't give up hope on finding one of the older convection units. I like them because they use no electricity and use outside air and vent to the outside. These units are getting harder to find because they have not been built recently. Watch for older pop-up campers that are being junked out, you may be able to pull a furnace out of it. I was just given a pop-up to tear apart but I will not be getting to it until late fall at the earliest.

You may want to watch some of the web sites for pop-ups, you may find your furnace int heir "FOR SALE" forum.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Might check this guy out - http://ventedcatheater.com/first.html
I think he bought out the parts stock from "The Cat" company that made the original heater in my 82 Burro and now sells new old units, or something. Anyway, the vented cat heater is a pretty cool concept for our size of trailers.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #12

thanks I'll check it out.

the new Trillium ones were $ 795
Old 04-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #13

I found a Suburban NT-12SE furnace on the net that seems tiny but mentions the use of a 12 volt battery with a 2.8 amp draw....does this mean you need power for it? ?? I always though these Direct Discharge furnaces didn't need power?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
I found a Suburban NT-12SE furnace on the net that seems tiny but mentions the use of a 12 volt battery with a 2.8 amp draw....does this mean you need power for it? ?? I always though these Direct Discharge furnaces didn't need power?
In my Boler i have a direct/gravity flow.No power required.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #15

would you happen to have a pic of it.....as to what it looks like in the cabinet (not the front part)?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #16

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
Kurt-The Suburban furnace that you found has a fan for circulating the hot air. I don't think that they will run without a battery hooked up. The true convection furnaces have not got any wiring to hook up. Keep looking, you will find one. The furnace in my Love Bug is only 6000 output BTU's and keeps it warm enough to camp when it is below zero F.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
would you happen to have a pic of it.....as to what it looks like in the cabinet (not the front part)?
I will get a photo on my days off and post.The Furnace is a ---Hydro Flame Furnace
Series BRC-10----
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #18

thanks! In the meantime the search continues....
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #19

Furnace with cover.
Attached Thumbnails
500.jpg  
Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #20

Furnace no cover.
Attached Thumbnails
501.jpg  

Tags