13' Scamp basic electrical question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 1995 13 ft Scamp
Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a 1995 13' Scamp, which I am in the middle of giving a cosmetic makeover. I am having some issue with the lighting. Maybe its because I don't know enough about the system. When Im plugged into 120v the only light that works is the flourcent above the sink. I have (2) dome and (3) reading lights that I can't get to work. Do these lights "ONLY" run off of the 12v battery? Im hoping someone can help me out with this. THank you

Nick
Nick Glenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a 1995 13' Scamp, which I am in the middle of giving a cosmetic makeover. I am having some issue with the lighting. Maybe its because I don't know enough about the system. When Im plugged into 120v the only light that works is the flourcent above the sink. I have (2) dome and (3) reading lights that I can't get to work. Do these lights "ONLY" run off of the 12v battery? Im hoping someone can help me out with this. THank you

Nick
From what you're saying it sounds like those lights are 12v which means you either have to power them from a battery or install a voltage converter in your camper. The converter changes the power from 120v ac to 12v dc which will power your 12v system. I have installed both a converter and an inverter (which changes 12v dc to 120v ac) in our '83 Burro to power the freezer and refrigerator while we are mobile.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Do these lights [b]"ONLY" run off of the 12v battery?
This will depend on how the converter is installed and wired up. There are 2 different ways it is wired.

I have observed that some trailers consider the converter to function more as a battery charger than a power transformer. Thus, the 12 volt battery must be in the circuit for the 12 volt appliances (lights, water pump, heater blower motor) to function. No 12 volt battery, no functionality of these appliances.

Other trailers (like my 16' Fiber Stream) more commonly connect the converter to perform both functions; battery charger AND power transformer. I can disconnect my battery and my converter will run the 12 volt appliances from the 110 volt source, transforming it to 12 volts DC for those appliances.

Both ways of connecting the converter are equally common, yet many owners assume the latter.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Frederick, I believe the battery must be in the circuit with some converters because they are using it for a filter for some of the fuse positions, not because battery charging is its prime function.

Nick, your 12VDC stuf should run off the battery and/or the converter, so something is wrong.

If you have a battery, be sure to check that the fuse near the positive terminal AND the fuse located inside the front storage area nearest the door are both good (Up under the carpet on upper left-hand side of the area). Also check that the 120VAC breakers are not tripped.

Check that your converter is plugged in, if not hardwired, and that the fuse inside is OK. Converter is usually inside the rear storage compartment on the driver's side.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp