13' Scamp bunk blueprints - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Wink 13' Scamp bunk blueprints

Hi,

I'd like to put the original sofa/bunk bed into our project Scamp. Does anyone have a pattern?

Thanks,
Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Meaning for the 3 pieces of plywood that form the base of the upper bunk?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I would get a piece of cardboard and make the top bunk. It is quick, free and if you make a mistake just start again. With that I would transfer it to plywood.

On my site, at the bottom of the page is a picture of the piece you need. I did sell this trailer, otherwise I would measure it up for you.

Red Boler Day 1 to 10 | Family Outdoor Adventures
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Florida
The entire assembly is missing. So, I need to start from scratch building the bottom as well as the top bunk.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp bunk blueprints

So the front is basically empty, right? Does it still have the fiberglass tabs used to attach the bench to the shell? Does it still have the glassed-in mounting ledge just under the window? And, more important, is it solid enough to support the upper bunk?

One thought... if you don't absolutely need the fourth sleeping spot, you might consider turning the space into a 2-person dinette that makes into a single bed. That's a common mod, and would be much simpler than trying to return it to the factory configuration.

Another thought… if you do need the bunks, you might consider designed-from-scratch permanent bunks. I recall seeing on this forum a super-cool, very sturdy, and kid-friendly front bunk mod. Wish I could remember what type of trailer, but pretty sure it was a 13'er. Anyone else out there remember it? I couldn't seem to pull it up using the Google search…

Last thought… if you decide to go factory, you'll need to build the bench first. You could do it in one piece, like the factory does, or you could build separate left and right seats over the raised portions and add a removable bridge over the center. The latter would probably be easier, and would facilitate a dinette conversion later (like when the kids are gone). As Chris says, use cardboard to make your own templates for the pieces, then build a frame, then cut the panels to fit. After the bench, then make your template for the upper bunk. I noticed that Chris's was one piece. Scamp uses a 3-piece design: one large piece in the center and two small wings on the ends. That allows the backrest to conform to the curve of the front wall when in sofa mode.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

Alberta
If I was missing the front bunk there are a few ideas I would consider, but they would take you away from the original look.

1. I like having the porta potti under the front couch.

2. On our trailer I made the countertop go all the way to the front of the trailer, this made for a very strong mount for the bunk bed (I am over 200lbs and I can safely go up there).

3.A table at the front is nice, I would consider making a flip down table, of have the middle of the couch pop up to accomplish this, as I don't want to have to store a table.

4. I made the front bunk and the counter the same height, this creating a large counter when the bunk is not in use.

5. I have seen vintage trailers use a fabric bunk. If I wanted the option of a bunk this would be a different, lite way to add a bunk, and should be comfortable without the need for cushions. It was also be different as I have never seen it done in the front of one of these trailers.

6. I added a magnetic screen door to our Boler, this is also a support for the top bunk. This is different, but has worked very well.

7. If it was going to be used as a bunk all the time, dropping down the lower bed and giving up the couch option would give the lower bunk a lot more room, and make it work longer, as the kids grow it would fit longer. You could even stack the bunks on the floor at the front, making a seat when down (sitting on the top bunk), and when it is lifted you would have much more room in the bottom bunk.

Missing parts in our trailer became a chance to be creative and make the trailer work better for us.

Also I found these measurements I took of our trailer, they change depending on the height taken at, but worked great for planning.

Here is our custom front bunk under construction.

http://www.ourboler.com/wp-content/u...oler-Couch.jpg

I haven't put the details down, or even got the pictures in order, but our bunk build can be found at

Green Boler Rebuild 3 | Family Outdoor Adventures
Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp bunk blueprints

Really nice, Chris!

How did you attach the outer edge of the platform to the shell? Did you use the original bunk attachment, or did you add your own tabbing?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #8

Alberta
Thanks Jon.

It was built as part of the kitchen, and I couldn't remember, so I went to the garage to check. The kitchen is attached to the dinette seat, the floor, and the bottom bunk. The support that extends from the front of the kitchen to the front of the trailer, that is used to support the countertop and hold the bunk up is screwed into the original bunk support (wood glassed onto the shell).

The back of the top bunk rests on a wood spacer I made that corrected the angle of the support (again the original wood glassed to the shell). And also screws to the wood I made to hold the shape of the door and hold the screen door (this replaced a curved metal bar). The wood that supports the door is attached with lath screws to the shell. This also helps slightly adjust the shell shape and create a better fit for the door.

This is very solid, and still allows the shell to move enough not to crack.

Adding tabing would be easy and work well.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks!

Dear Jon and Chris,

Thank you both for your input.

I had been planning to do the little dinette instead of bunks. However, then I started thinking how versatile it would be to have the sofa/bunk instead.

We have three cats, three dogs, and two birds. If we need to evacuate for a hurricane (I live in Florida), it seems the bunks would give me more space for cages, crates, etc. So it's not really the sleeping space I'm after. It's more the shelf space. Maybe I need to be thinking of it more from a shelving perspective instead of bunks.

Currently that area has two bunks the po had built from plywood. They are very sturdy and, I imagine, heavy. They aren't very attractive but functional.

Maybe I need to look at having shelf supports which I can use with removable shelving. Then I could add it only if necessary.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tonnie
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Name: Heather
New Hampshire
Registry
bunk support

The back of the top bunk rests on a wood spacer I made that corrected the angle of the support (again the original wood glassed to the shell). And also screws to the wood I made to hold the shape of the door and hold the screen door (this replaced a curved metal bar). The wood that supports the door is attached with lath screws to the shell. This also helps slightly adjust the shell shape and create a better fit for the door.

This is very solid, and still allows the shell to move enough not to crack.

Adding tabing would be easy and work well.[/QUOTE]

please explain that piece of wood that supports the upper bunk. Mine is rotted out and needs to be replaced... How do I replace it? How is it held in there to the fiberglass...

I can see it coming... headache to come...

Heather
77 Scamp 13ft
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Seat Pictures

Use your seat base as the basic pattern for the wood and back foam. The bottom (no wood) foam is two pieces, again use the seat bottom for the pattern. Then drop the back down too see how much to cut off for the banana cushion. Use piano hinges on the back wood wings and glue the back foam to the wood.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
824.jpg   825 (2).jpg  

829 (2).jpg   831 (2) - Copy.jpg  

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Missing bunk support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes1630 View Post
please explain that piece of wood that supports the upper bunk. Mine is rotted out and needs to be replaced... How do I replace it? How is it held in there to the fiberglass...

I can see it coming... headache to come...

Heather
77 Scamp 13ft
Heather, it is possible to replace it, but you're right - it will be a pain, and require some fiberglass skills. You'll have to remove the window, pull back the Ensolite, cut out the rotted wood, sand down the surrounding fiberglass, cut a new piece of wood (I'd consider using hardwood as a replacement), epoxy it to the shell, lay up fiberglass over it, smooth it all up, and replace the window and Ensolite.

My personal assessment of the original Scamp design is that it is very convenient (i.e., easy to fold up and down), but not very sturdy and prone to deteriorate over time because of the front window. Depending on how you want to use the space, it might be easier to do something from scratch and get creative.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I did the bunk mount and can measure the top bunk bed piece. I did not have to remove the window on mine but my front window opens which is not the case on all campers. I undid the bottom of the screen and used padded clamps to hold it in position.

Thread I had going when I did the bunk attachment, post #19 has a picture of setting up the support rail to fiberglass it in. First page has some stuff on measurements and making the template.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-53917.html

I still have my template for that front bunk attachment rail PM me if you would like a copy along with the measurements for location on wall. It may not be an exact match to your shell but should get you close.

I left the top bunk out since I knew I was going to be pulling the couch to do some patching and replace the vinyl flooring. Ended up replacing that whole front raised section of floor. Now I'm considering what to put back into that big empty space hmmm.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Thoughts on what to do with that space...

I was thinking of front dinette but my wife made a good point we already have a dining room table if we really need one inside. Just roll up the bedding. We don't generally eat inside.

I want to preserve that center deep spot for storage of a porta potti.

Need storage space so have been giving some thought to an arrangement similar to the one in the boler custom mod from this thread or a Scamp 13 deluxe. Replace one end of the couch with storage and/or extend counter. Might have shorter bunks if I added cabinet(s) in the front corner. By the time kids outgrow shorter bunk they want to be outside in own tent anyway.

On the other hand in the past we have just used the couch bunk as a place to store containers so sticking with that avoids a big furniture building project. But it is nice to have a place to sit besides the rear bed and having the top bunk up as a shelf prevents that.

Camper looks bigger without the top bunk. Couch is much deeper. Does open things up a bit.

Sigh no rest for the weary brain.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have the parts to a front bunk that I have removed from a 16' Scamp that I would sell for a reasonable price withthe supports and cushions.
I see you are in Florida and I am headed to Orlando via Jacksonvill this weekend if you are interested (Assuming I can fit them in the back of my VW stationwagon for the trip.
I am located in Moblie, AL. if that is close. Yout tag says Florida, but not exactly where.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #16

Florida
O.K. Here's the next question. How much storage space is under the front bunk assembly as it comes from the factory? Is there room to store a cooler for ice and a portajohn?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Porta-potty fits in the center section where the floor is lower. No place for a cooler in the factory arrangement. Space on the ends is shallow and hard to access, so it's a good place for heavy, infrequently used items, like tools, extra canned goods,...
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #18

Florida
Thanks Jon... That helps a lot!

Tags
scamp