13' Scamp Jalousie Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Jay, much appreciated. I'm in the process of re-conditioning my windows, and they seem to be fine, but.... it's always nice to see options. Scamp does sell the windows at a very fair price. What brand are they? Hehr?

When you post back, could you tell what attachment method they use? I have found Scamp to be pleasant, but they weren't into getting technical with me (which is fine). What I mean is, do they fasten to the shell from just the outside, like the old ones? Or are they "clamp ring" type windows? (I realize that there is something on the inside with any type of window.) Or are they fit in with a rubber seal around the outside.

I'll also be interested to hear how it goes with your end windows. Do you have a lacing tool? I have one, but have not used it, so I can't give any tips (except that there is a lacing tool )

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #16

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Jay, Nice job! just a few questons. First, How did you glass the corners, Was is just fiberglass matt? and saecond, What did you paint the outside of your Scamp with, looks good. I am thinking of new windows for the Compact Jr and think that the rounded windows wilol be the way to go. I too will be gutting it and starting over. Thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #17

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
I cut pieces from fiberglass panels made from mat and resin. Created those first and then used mat and resin on both inside and out to glass them in. Had to peel back the elephant skin on the interior to accomplish this. Also had to add small pieces of elephant skin to the areas where the radius window did not cover. Then went over with bondo to fill any holes before priming. Afraid I will have to wait to comment on the paint job, It was a bit of an experiment.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #18

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
The radius window attach by using a clamp ring. I used butyl putty tape around the frame prior to inserting them. The clamp ring is attached to the window proper with sheet metal screws. The holes are not pre-drilled, and some were not long enough, given the gap created by the various wall thickness. When tightened the screws can dimple the clamp ring if you are not careful. Once again, not a painfull process and well worth the effort. If I was more of a purist I might had new jalousie windows made, but I really want to get this thing finished and on the road.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #19

Thanks for the additional info. Your work is looking good
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Thanks for the additional info. Your work is looking good
Raya,

Do you know what size these windows from Scamp are? They are different from the ones I got from Hehr.

Scott
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #21

Scott,

I can't remember, but something like 18 x 24" comes to mind. That said, I'm curious, so I'm going to call Scamp and will post back here.

For comparison, would you mind posting the size of your ones from Hehr, and how much they cost?

Raya

Edited to add:
Okay, I called Scamp, and spoke to a very helpful fellow in the parts department. He went and measured the outer trim ring for me.

So, the basic window is 18" tall x 24" wide. This is not the rough opening, nor is it the outer ring, but is the measurement of the actual window where it fits into the rough opening.

The outside dimensions of the outer trim ring (I asked about the outer one since that is the one that looks like it matters on the Burro) are 19-1/2" tall x 25-1/2" wide. So I would think that is 3/4" of "ring" top and bottom. How does that compare to your windows, Scott? (And, would you mind posting a photo of yours - I'd be interested to see how the % of opening pane compares.)

The price of the windows (as of today) is $132 each. Two can be shipped together for cost purposes. When I looked around a year or so ago, this was super reasonable (thank you, Scamp!)

There is also another similar window that is 18" x 36"

I forgot to ask if they are Hehr, but I think they are.

Raya
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Scott,

I can't remember, but something like 18 x 24" comes to mind. That said, I'm curious, so I'm going to call Scamp and will post back here.

For comparison, would you mind posting the size of your ones from Hehr, and how much they cost?

Raya

Raya,

Mine from Hehr are 24 width x 20 height for the opening, 25-1/4" width x 21-1/4" height outer diamension of outer flange. I believe it cost me $500 for the 2 delivered.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Scott,

Raya

Edited to add:
Okay, I called Scamp, and spoke to a very helpful fellow in the parts department. He went and measured the outer trim ring for me.

So, the basic window is 18" tall x 24" wide. This is not the rough opening, nor is it the outer ring, but is the measurement of the actual window where it fits into the rough opening.

The outside dimensions of the outer trim ring (I asked about the outer one since that is the one that looks like it matters on the Burro) are 19-1/2" tall x 25-1/2" wide. So I would think that is 3/4" of "ring" top and bottom. How does that compare to your windows, Scott? (And, would you mind posting a photo of yours - I'd be interested to see how the % of opening pane compares.)

The price of the windows (as of today) is $132 each. Two can be shipped together for cost purposes. When I looked around a year or so ago, this was super reasonable (thank you, Scamp!)

There is also another similar window that is 18" x 36"

I forgot to ask if they are Hehr, but I think they are.

Raya

Sorry Raya,

I guess I was posting in two places, do you see the pic of my window in this thread? Bottom half cranks out.

Thanks for the leg work looks like I could make it work with the scamp windows and still get the crank out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #24

I agree - looks like it would work. I can't imagine you not loving the jalousie windows.

The only thing I have noticed about them is that when they are open you have to be a bit careful not to bonk your head on them if you are walking close to the outside of the trailer.

OTOH, Peeping Toms will be known by their screams

I was interested to see yours because I wish there were some radiused-corner ones that had 100% opening panes, like my older (square-cornered) ones do. But I see that yours is also only 50%. I suppose they could be made custom, but I like Scamp's price. And they still have as much opening area as sliders, plus... open in the rain! (And best of all, no debating when you are about to go for a hike: "Well it doesn't look like rain, shall we leave them open?" "Ummm.... okay." Then when you are two miles out it starts pouring With the jalousies, you don't care!)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro
So much great window information!!

So, are the windows from Scamp (the $132 windows) the jalousie style?

It sounds as though the 18x24 Scamp windows will fit a Burro.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #26

Yes, I was asking about the jalousie style. Mind you, Scamp sells both sliders and jalousies (same dimensions, I believe; although as I remember it the sliders are $15 or so less expensive) so if you order, make sure you are getting the ones you want.

Raya
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I bought bright orange swim noodles and slit them the long way then cut them to the width of the window and slide them on when the window is open

Bill K
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #28

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Wow, I'm genuinely relieved to see other people worry about running into an open jalousie. I managed to walk full-on into one of mine last weekend and carried on with a bruised face/cut nose for a few days. Definitely one of the more glamorous moments of camper fixer-upping.

Seriously though, this discussion has been really helpful and I appreciate the added info from Scamp. I've been curious about their sizes and the "great prices" people keep referring to, but was only curious enough to check the website.

-- Jess

Tags
jalousie windows, scamp, windows