13' Scamp Jalousie Windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Scott,

I can't remember, but something like 18 x 24" comes to mind. That said, I'm curious, so I'm going to call Scamp and will post back here.

For comparison, would you mind posting the size of your ones from Hehr, and how much they cost?

Raya

Edited to add:
Okay, I called Scamp, and spoke to a very helpful fellow in the parts department. He went and measured the outer trim ring for me.

So, the basic window is 18" tall x 24" wide. This is not the rough opening, nor is it the outer ring, but is the measurement of the actual window where it fits into the rough opening.

The outside dimensions of the outer trim ring (I asked about the outer one since that is the one that looks like it matters on the Burro) are 19-1/2" tall x 25-1/2" wide. So I would think that is 3/4" of "ring" top and bottom. How does that compare to your windows, Scott? (And, would you mind posting a photo of yours - I'd be interested to see how the % of opening pane compares.)

The price of the windows (as of today) is $132 each. Two can be shipped together for cost purposes. When I looked around a year or so ago, this was super reasonable (thank you, Scamp!)

There is also another similar window that is 18" x 36"

I forgot to ask if they are Hehr, but I think they are.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Scott,

I can't remember, but something like 18 x 24" comes to mind. That said, I'm curious, so I'm going to call Scamp and will post back here.

For comparison, would you mind posting the size of your ones from Hehr, and how much they cost?

Raya

Raya,

Mine from Hehr are 24 width x 20 height for the opening, 25-1/4" width x 21-1/4" height outer diamension of outer flange. I believe it cost me $500 for the 2 delivered.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Scott,

Raya

Edited to add:
Okay, I called Scamp, and spoke to a very helpful fellow in the parts department. He went and measured the outer trim ring for me.

So, the basic window is 18" tall x 24" wide. This is not the rough opening, nor is it the outer ring, but is the measurement of the actual window where it fits into the rough opening.

The outside dimensions of the outer trim ring (I asked about the outer one since that is the one that looks like it matters on the Burro) are 19-1/2" tall x 25-1/2" wide. So I would think that is 3/4" of "ring" top and bottom. How does that compare to your windows, Scott? (And, would you mind posting a photo of yours - I'd be interested to see how the % of opening pane compares.)

The price of the windows (as of today) is $132 each. Two can be shipped together for cost purposes. When I looked around a year or so ago, this was super reasonable (thank you, Scamp!)

There is also another similar window that is 18" x 36"

I forgot to ask if they are Hehr, but I think they are.

Raya

Sorry Raya,

I guess I was posting in two places, do you see the pic of my window in this thread? Bottom half cranks out.

Thanks for the leg work looks like I could make it work with the scamp windows and still get the crank out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1015.jpg  
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #24

I agree - looks like it would work. I can't imagine you not loving the jalousie windows.

The only thing I have noticed about them is that when they are open you have to be a bit careful not to bonk your head on them if you are walking close to the outside of the trailer.

OTOH, Peeping Toms will be known by their screams

I was interested to see yours because I wish there were some radiused-corner ones that had 100% opening panes, like my older (square-cornered) ones do. But I see that yours is also only 50%. I suppose they could be made custom, but I like Scamp's price. And they still have as much opening area as sliders, plus... open in the rain! (And best of all, no debating when you are about to go for a hike: "Well it doesn't look like rain, shall we leave them open?" "Ummm.... okay." Then when you are two miles out it starts pouring With the jalousies, you don't care!)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro
So much great window information!!

So, are the windows from Scamp (the $132 windows) the jalousie style?

It sounds as though the 18x24 Scamp windows will fit a Burro.
Shane O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #26

Yes, I was asking about the jalousie style. Mind you, Scamp sells both sliders and jalousies (same dimensions, I believe; although as I remember it the sliders are $15 or so less expensive) so if you order, make sure you are getting the ones you want.

Raya
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I bought bright orange swim noodles and slit them the long way then cut them to the width of the window and slide them on when the window is open

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #28

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Wow, I'm genuinely relieved to see other people worry about running into an open jalousie. I managed to walk full-on into one of mine last weekend and carried on with a bruised face/cut nose for a few days. Definitely one of the more glamorous moments of camper fixer-upping.

Seriously though, this discussion has been really helpful and I appreciate the added info from Scamp. I've been curious about their sizes and the "great prices" people keep referring to, but was only curious enough to check the website.

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #29

Name: Sylvie
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Québec
Where to buy seals for jalousie window

Does someone could help me with information about where to find the seals to repair a jalousie window? I attached pictures of the seals that I am looking for (Note that I found where to buy one of them as you will see, if it can help someone else). Thanks in advance for help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windows Trillium.pdf (142.6 KB, 36 views)
Sylvie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
I just recently went thru this, I did call and speak with HERR and you could buy an entire new window, but the price was okay but not what I wanted to do. I went to a local junk yard and found a scrapped RV and took the window out and scavanged the parts off it ( clips to hold windows, arms, cranks etc) the clips worked fine, just had to cut the arms a little and drill a new hole, worked, maybe you could find a local junk yard regards, suger

P.S when rooting around a junk yard, always carry spray for bees, hornets, and bang on the car, Rv before poking your head in.

You might find that pick up bed caps with windows might work too
Actually it's HEHR windows, I only mention that because it might make the search easier,"mister".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #31

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Okay.So I had some lexan windows cut to the exact size of the originals and got new rubber from Scamp. Tried it by myself. Tried it with a buddy. Ended taking it to a friend at with an auto body shop. Took three of us a good day and a half to get the two windows in. One guy inside to keep it from falling in and two of us outside using screwdrivers on the rubber. If one of them ever comes out I will probably just sell the trailer before I try to install one again. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jay, maybe it would have helped to use the right tools. Screwdrivers are for screws, not gaskets and certainly not the lockstrip.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #33

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
We got the bottom of the window in and each of us got on either side and using a pair of flat head screwdrivers slid them along between the rubber and the window until it popped into the groove. The difficult part was that everything had to be soaped up so it would slide in. Slippery stuff. Once in place we used a lock strip tool to insert the lockstrip. Thanks!
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Window wtb or sell scamp window
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
We got the bottom of the window in and each of us got on either side and using a pair of flat head screwdrivers slid them along between the rubber and the window until it popped into the groove. The difficult part was that everything had to be soaped up so it would slide in. Slippery stuff. Once in place we used a lock strip tool to insert the lockstrip. Thanks!
Glad you got the windows it. I'm going to caution anyone putting in a window, to be extremely careful using any metal tools. Metal can scratch and/or score the gelcoat. There's a cheap tool made for installing windshields that works great. I've got a bunch of these and having found many uses for them. For instance, it's a fantastic burnishing tool for stained glass!
CRL Tapered End Windshield Stick Setting Tool - Pack of 5
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #36

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie T View Post
Does someone could help me with information about where to find the seals to repair a jalousie window? I attached pictures of the seals that I am looking for (Note that I found where to buy one of them as you will see, if it can help someone else). Thanks in advance for help.

if all else fails they sell kits here C24-231-069-413 - WESTFALIA LOUVERED WINDOW SEAL SET BUS 68-79 ( they are for the same type of window on a westfailia camper ..... kinda of a fiberglass rv cause the roof is fg)

Call them in canada and california www.cip1.com
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #37

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
Here is the link to the photos of the jalousie window replacement. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Picasa Web Albums - Josiah Blasingame... - Scamp Window ...#
So- do you plan to sell the old jalousie windows? I need one. tkeel2@att.net
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
I can only thank you very much, Josiah, for the great pictures of a really nice upgrade. It gives me a lot to think about, plus photos I can show my fiberglass guy to illustrate what I want to do with it...
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jalousie windows, scamp, windows