13' Scamp Jalousie Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
13' Scamp Jalousie Windows

Does anyone know where to get a pair of new jalousie windows for a 70's 13' Scamp? If not is there a known practical replacement from a sceondary manufacturer?
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
Does anyone know where to get a pair of new jalousie windows for a 70's 13' Scamp? If not is there a known practical replacement from a sceondary manufacturer?
I just recently went thru this, I did call and speak with HERR and you could buy an entire new window, but the price was okay but not what I wanted to do. I went to a local junk yard and found a scrapped RV and took the window out and scavanged the parts off it ( clips to hold windows, arms, cranks etc) the clips worked fine, just had to cut the arms a little and drill a new hole, worked, maybe you could find a local junk yard regards, suger

P.S when rooting around a junk yard, always carry spray for bees, hornets, and bang on the car, Rv before poking your head in.

You might find that pick up bed caps with windows might work too
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #3

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
I just recently went thru this, I did call and speak with HERR and you could buy an entire new window, but the price was okay but not what I wanted to do. I went to a local junk yard and found a scrapped RV and took the window out and scavanged the parts off it ( clips to hold windows, arms, cranks etc) the clips worked fine, just had to cut the arms a little and drill a new hole, worked, maybe you could find a local junk yard regards, suger

P.S when rooting around a junk yard, always carry spray for bees, hornets, and bang on the car, Rv before poking your head in.

You might find that pick up bed caps with windows might work too
Thanks. I had found the reference to HERR in a couple of other posts and kinda figured they were cost prohibitive. Then again, i HATE bees! Guess I will have to balance that out. Thanks for your suggestions, I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Jay,

There isn't any place I know of to buy the 70's style dinette jalousie windows new anymore. They're typically the square-cornered ones (I have them in my 70's Boler), and they went out of fashion sometime in the mid-80's or so.

You can buy new jalousies right from Scamp (and they have excellent prices), but they are radius-cornered so you would have to fiberglass in the "extra" corner openings you would end up with. Also, the new style windows only have about 50% of the opening area, as only the center of the panels opens.

Now, all that said, do you have anything to work with? I mean, do the old windows exist at all? If so, there are many parts and pieces available (new, from suppliers) that might help you to rebuild them.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Jay,

There isn't any place I know of to buy the 70's style dinette jalousie windows new anymore. They're typically the square-cornered ones (I have them in my 70's Boler), and they went out of fashion sometime in the mid-80's or so.

You can buy new jalousies right from Scamp (and they have excellent prices), but they are radius-cornered so you would have to fiberglass in the "extra" corner openings you would end up with. Also, the new style windows only have about 50% of the opening area, as only the center of the panels opens.

Now, all that said, do you have anything to work with? I mean, do the old windows exist at all? If so, there are many parts and pieces available (new, from suppliers) that might help you to rebuild them.

Raya
Radius corners won't work as I am trying to keep from replacing the Elephant skin on the interior. One of the windows is original aluminum color and the other is black. Really want them to be the same. Do not want to rebuild them as I am presently rebuilding every other piece on the trailer. Saw something similar on a pick up truck cap. I will continue the search..
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Companion
windows

hey look on ebay
i got 2 for my companion rehab
dont know what size your looking for
this guy has lots of vintage parts new
ray
georgetta s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetta s View Post
hey look on ebay
i got 2 for my companion rehab
dont know what size your looking for
this guy has lots of vintage parts new
ray
Hi there do you happen to have his ebay members name??

Thanks,

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Companion
windows

paul
his user id vintek1958
the windows are 18" x 15"
hope this helps
Ray
georgetta s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetta s View Post
paul
his user id vintek1958
the windows are 18" x 15"
hope this helps
Ray
Thanks

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #10

Georgia
Registry
Solution

Okay, so I went ahead and glassed in the corners and ordered the radius corner windows from Scamp. Now that they are installed I am glad I went this route. They look good and function well. Not as much open window space as the original jalousie windows, but that should be offset by the Fantastic Fan. Thanks for all you help on this.

Jay
Old 09-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #11

Sweet. Now we will all officially beg you for photos.

I would love to see how they look, both inside and out. Plus any photos during the process, if you happen to have any (I know it's a challenge to have the camera out when you are knee-deep in epoxy!)

Raya
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #12

Georgia
Registry
jalousie window replacement

Here is the link to the photos of the jalousie window replacement. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Picasa Web Albums - Josiah Blasingame... - Scamp Window ...#
Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #13

Thanks, Jay!

Edited to add: Aha, I see what made it "easy" --- have everything taken apart and the Scamp in a garage. But no, I'm not jealous

Would you by any chance be able to post a photo from further back, kind of like the first one but with the new windows?

Did you get an operable window for the rear? Or are you going back with the plexi/rubber-gasket one?

And what do you think of the quality of the new ones? Do they seem as rugged as the square ones?

Thanks for the photos. Your project is looking sweet!

Raya
Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Georgia
Registry
I will get some more photos of the windows inside and out. I do like the construction of the new window, and the guys at scamp are easy to deal with. Good prices and reasonable shipping. I had new lexan windows cut for the front and rear. I am going to attempt the install this week.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #15

Thanks, Jay, much appreciated. I'm in the process of re-conditioning my windows, and they seem to be fine, but.... it's always nice to see options. Scamp does sell the windows at a very fair price. What brand are they? Hehr?

When you post back, could you tell what attachment method they use? I have found Scamp to be pleasant, but they weren't into getting technical with me (which is fine). What I mean is, do they fasten to the shell from just the outside, like the old ones? Or are they "clamp ring" type windows? (I realize that there is something on the inside with any type of window.) Or are they fit in with a rubber seal around the outside.

I'll also be interested to hear how it goes with your end windows. Do you have a lacing tool? I have one, but have not used it, so I can't give any tips (except that there is a lacing tool )
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Compact Jr
Jay, Nice job! just a few questons. First, How did you glass the corners, Was is just fiberglass matt? and saecond, What did you paint the outside of your Scamp with, looks good. I am thinking of new windows for the Compact Jr and think that the rounded windows wilol be the way to go. I too will be gutting it and starting over. Thanks
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #17

Georgia
Registry
I cut pieces from fiberglass panels made from mat and resin. Created those first and then used mat and resin on both inside and out to glass them in. Had to peel back the elephant skin on the interior to accomplish this. Also had to add small pieces of elephant skin to the areas where the radius window did not cover. Then went over with bondo to fill any holes before priming. Afraid I will have to wait to comment on the paint job, It was a bit of an experiment.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #18

Georgia
Registry
The radius window attach by using a clamp ring. I used butyl putty tape around the frame prior to inserting them. The clamp ring is attached to the window proper with sheet metal screws. The holes are not pre-drilled, and some were not long enough, given the gap created by the various wall thickness. When tightened the screws can dimple the clamp ring if you are not careful. Once again, not a painfull process and well worth the effort. If I was more of a purist I might had new jalousie windows made, but I really want to get this thing finished and on the road.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #19

Thanks for the additional info. Your work is looking good
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Thanks for the additional info. Your work is looking good
Raya,

Do you know what size these windows from Scamp are? They are different from the ones I got from Hehr.

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jalousie windows, scamp, windows