13' Scamp Jalousie Windows - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
13' Scamp Jalousie Windows

Does anyone know where to get a pair of new jalousie windows for a 70's 13' Scamp? If not is there a known practical replacement from a sceondary manufacturer?
__________________

__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
sugermc's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
Does anyone know where to get a pair of new jalousie windows for a 70's 13' Scamp? If not is there a known practical replacement from a sceondary manufacturer?
I just recently went thru this, I did call and speak with HERR and you could buy an entire new window, but the price was okay but not what I wanted to do. I went to a local junk yard and found a scrapped RV and took the window out and scavanged the parts off it ( clips to hold windows, arms, cranks etc) the clips worked fine, just had to cut the arms a little and drill a new hole, worked, maybe you could find a local junk yard regards, suger

P.S when rooting around a junk yard, always carry spray for bees, hornets, and bang on the car, Rv before poking your head in.

You might find that pick up bed caps with windows might work too
__________________

__________________
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
I just recently went thru this, I did call and speak with HERR and you could buy an entire new window, but the price was okay but not what I wanted to do. I went to a local junk yard and found a scrapped RV and took the window out and scavanged the parts off it ( clips to hold windows, arms, cranks etc) the clips worked fine, just had to cut the arms a little and drill a new hole, worked, maybe you could find a local junk yard regards, suger

P.S when rooting around a junk yard, always carry spray for bees, hornets, and bang on the car, Rv before poking your head in.

You might find that pick up bed caps with windows might work too
Thanks. I had found the reference to HERR in a couple of other posts and kinda figured they were cost prohibitive. Then again, i HATE bees! Guess I will have to balance that out. Thanks for your suggestions, I will let you know how it turns out.
__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Hi Jay,

There isn't any place I know of to buy the 70's style dinette jalousie windows new anymore. They're typically the square-cornered ones (I have them in my 70's Boler), and they went out of fashion sometime in the mid-80's or so.

You can buy new jalousies right from Scamp (and they have excellent prices), but they are radius-cornered so you would have to fiberglass in the "extra" corner openings you would end up with. Also, the new style windows only have about 50% of the opening area, as only the center of the panels opens.

Now, all that said, do you have anything to work with? I mean, do the old windows exist at all? If so, there are many parts and pieces available (new, from suppliers) that might help you to rebuild them.

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Jay,

There isn't any place I know of to buy the 70's style dinette jalousie windows new anymore. They're typically the square-cornered ones (I have them in my 70's Boler), and they went out of fashion sometime in the mid-80's or so.

You can buy new jalousies right from Scamp (and they have excellent prices), but they are radius-cornered so you would have to fiberglass in the "extra" corner openings you would end up with. Also, the new style windows only have about 50% of the opening area, as only the center of the panels opens.

Now, all that said, do you have anything to work with? I mean, do the old windows exist at all? If so, there are many parts and pieces available (new, from suppliers) that might help you to rebuild them.

Raya
Radius corners won't work as I am trying to keep from replacing the Elephant skin on the interior. One of the windows is original aluminum color and the other is black. Really want them to be the same. Do not want to rebuild them as I am presently rebuilding every other piece on the trailer. Saw something similar on a pick up truck cap. I will continue the search..
__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Companion
Posts: 5
windows

hey look on ebay
i got 2 for my companion rehab
dont know what size your looking for
this guy has lots of vintage parts new
ray
__________________
georgetta s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetta s View Post
hey look on ebay
i got 2 for my companion rehab
dont know what size your looking for
this guy has lots of vintage parts new
ray
Hi there do you happen to have his ebay members name??

Thanks,
__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Companion
Posts: 5
windows

paul
his user id vintek1958
the windows are 18" x 15"
hope this helps
Ray
__________________
georgetta s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Paul Richter's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 100
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetta s View Post
paul
his user id vintek1958
the windows are 18" x 15"
hope this helps
Ray
Thanks
__________________
Paul "The Nascar Rig"

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
Solution

Okay, so I went ahead and glassed in the corners and ordered the radius corner windows from Scamp. Now that they are installed I am glad I went this route. They look good and function well. Not as much open window space as the original jalousie windows, but that should be offset by the Fantastic Fan. Thanks for all you help on this.

Jay
__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Sweet. Now we will all officially beg you for photos.

I would love to see how they look, both inside and out. Plus any photos during the process, if you happen to have any (I know it's a challenge to have the camera out when you are knee-deep in epoxy!)

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
jalousie window replacement

Here is the link to the photos of the jalousie window replacement. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Picasa Web Albums - Josiah Blasingame... - Scamp Window ...#
__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Thanks, Jay!

Edited to add: Aha, I see what made it "easy" --- have everything taken apart and the Scamp in a garage. But no, I'm not jealous

Would you by any chance be able to post a photo from further back, kind of like the first one but with the new windows?

Did you get an operable window for the rear? Or are you going back with the plexi/rubber-gasket one?

And what do you think of the quality of the new ones? Do they seem as rugged as the square ones?

Thanks for the photos. Your project is looking sweet!

Raya
__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Member
 
Jay B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Posts: 30
Registry
I will get some more photos of the windows inside and out. I do like the construction of the new window, and the guys at scamp are easy to deal with. Good prices and reasonable shipping. I had new lexan windows cut for the front and rear. I am going to attempt the install this week.
__________________

__________________
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jalousie windows, scamp, windows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lubing crank-handles on jalousie windows Raya Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 16 05-20-2015 06:27 PM
Boler, Jalousie Windows Michel, Bouchard Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 04-03-2013 06:19 PM
Boler Jalousie Windows Jayson Wall Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-28-2010 10:55 PM
Berdick jalousie windows Fred B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-26-2009 08:15 PM
jalousie windows Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-15-2003 02:35 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.