13' Scamp screen door gap at the top? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
13' Scamp screen door gap at the top?

I just looked at a very new June 2011 13' scamp that someone in Madison has and noticed that the screen door doesn't seal very good at the top. See the picture.

Given Wisconsin summers, this gap would let a ton of mosquitos and other bugs through easily, esp. at night with interior lights on.

Is this adjustable? Did the owner of this just not have the door adjusted well?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04618.jpg  
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The photo you have put up is taken from inside the trailer.

If you had a photo taken from the outside of the trailer of the top rail that the doors slide along on you would be able to see a piece of weather stripping attached to it - so there is no gap for bugs to get into the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
That wasn't true on this trailer.

I didn't take a picture, but when I got close to this and looked through the gap from the inside, there was nothing on either side of it but air. I could stick my finger clear through to the outside with ease.

Maybe on this trailer something fell off??
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's just a chunk of plastic stuck on with double-sided tape on my Scamp. It was actually causing the screen door to bind, so I took it off. No problems with bugs. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The weather stripping on both the top and bottom of my screen door wore down so I took it off. It has to have been at least 8 years since there was any sign of weather stripping on my screen door. I've never had any problems with bugs inside.

When I went on my Alaska and Great Lakes trips I had some painters tape with me. I thought if there would be a problem I'd just use the tape. On both trips I didn't have any problem with skeeters or bugs, but I still have the painters tape with me.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gezzz girls your hard on weather stripping!
Looks like mine is just stuck on with double sided tape, dont know why but mine has somehow managed to live on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Our 1st 13' no problem. The new 5th wheel the door was always popped until we added a small bunge.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
My 2001 has a small gap on the top right (looking from the inside) where the weather seal has been pushed up some from constantly being pushed on when the screens are folded. But I think it would be one determined or lucky bug who would find his way through that small gap.

Very pleased to have the screen door option on mine, it wasn't something I was looking for. But I bet it could come in handy.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Our 16ft 2010 Scamp has the same issue with the screen door. I put a 1 inch piece of velcro right in in the middle of the screen doorjam and it works great. You can always replace the velcrow if it gets worn out. We have no problems with bugs except the rare few that get in from time to time. Thats camping!!
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, I'll admit to be hard on it. But no longer as I don't it anymore.

The bottom weather stripping wore out quickly. I had a throw rug on top of the carpeting which put a lot of pressure on the weather stripping.

Then the top weather stripping started coming off over on the right where it had a constant bend/bunch in it when the screen is folded, like Dylan mentioned.

Lily and I use our trailer quite a bit, year round, so that little screen gets a lot of use. In fact, I've been keeping an eye on the hinges as I think I may be replacing them soon. It's also time to think about new screening, which I've already replaced once.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp