13' Scamp Weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
You know some folks have looked at me crazy when I've told them my 2001 Scamp weighed 1700lbs. fresh off the truck. I must say the difference between mine and yours is that mine came with an A/C, furnace, refrigerator, all the optional cabinets, etc, etc. etc. Basically fully loaded with exception of the bathroom and hot water.

So your trailer sounds as if it's in line with mine.

Now at the time I ordered mine the brochure still said the 13 footer weighed some 900lbs. I knew better with a fully loaded trailer, however I was surprised mine was 800lbs heavier than the brochure.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It would seem that towing weights set by MFG's are set for the "Worst Case Scenario" not just for the good times. Just because Joe tows overweight without problems for 100,000 miles may just mean that Joe is a more experienced driver and/or never encountered that worst case problem.

Those that tow in the Midwest or Florida may seldom encounter an up or down grade steeper or longer than a freeway exit ramp, while those on the west coast can face much greater challenges, especially down grades where weight vs. brakes is everything, and on a daily basis.

Just driving main highways for the last month in Washington and BC, I encountered a number of 5+ mile long 8% grades, something some other owners seldom, if ever, encounter.

That said, what Joe did may have little or no value as to what someone else may be doing. Stick with the mfg's numbers and towing at or over even 80% of max ratings is somewhat of a crap shoot, especially for the novice driver in challenging conditions.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
CA Gypsy....can I guess the Salesman? If not, mine was Jim Coffland (connected kin to ownership). He TOO told me my 2010 13' Scamp "Loaded" (including bathroom) would weigh about 1300lbs!! I took mine to a local CO-OP here in Columbia when I returned and left it setting on the scales ALONE. As pulled from the factory, it weighed 1740!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Gypsy View Post

I have big plans for traveling 50% of the year and have already put 10,000 miles on my car from a road trip with the SCAMP this past spring. It's scary that I had loaded 400#'s into the scamp thinking it weighted 1,100#'s. Now I know I was towing almost 1,900#'s. I didn't have any problems - except I did have trouble backing up hill - now I know why.

Thankful for all of your help!
Sounds like the information that would be most useful is what can I do to improve safety, handling, durability etc.

You know you can tow the weight, now it is mostly about what can you do to make that a better experience.

And a little commiseration on the whole reality not matching what you were led to expect. I have read that trailer official weights are generally sans appliances or any options (who knew propane tank and battery was an optional item), just the base trailer. Since the options ordered can vary a great deal it sort of makes sense (in a basackward sort of way) one can compare the different makes and models on an apples to apples basis since they all do it that way. This is what makes the Trailer weights in the real world thread so very useful. It provides a reality check.

I would think that Scamp would have a pretty good approximate idea of the true weight that will result from the options a customer selects and should provide that information at the time of order, your experience indicates one may need to push for that information. Thanks for sharing as a heads up to others.

Letting them know that you really needed to know the real world weight that the trailer as ordered would weigh is important feedback you as a customer can provide. Once you feel like you can do it without just getting angry. <_<
Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Those that tow in the Midwest or Florida may seldom encounter an up or down grade steeper or longer than a freeway exit ramp, while those on the west coast can face much greater challenges, especially down grades where weight vs. brakes is everything, and on a daily basis.

Just driving main highways for the last month in Washington and BC, I encountered a number of 5+ mile long 8% grades, something some other owners seldom, if ever, encounter.
Bob raises a very good point. One should give some consideration to it. Its been my experience that a great deal of how well a vehicle that has been used to tow close to its towing capacity works out may depend greatly on where & how you tow.

I am one of those who tows a great deal in BC and Washington where some here might suggest that what I call a little hill is a mountain. I do due to time restraints tend to use main highways as well. It is tough on a vehicle pulling in those conditions at its max towing capacity or just under. Had to retire a vehicle from towing due to wear and tear issues that had pulled a trailer that was only about 400lbs under its towing capacity after it had 60,000 miles on it, of which about 50% was towing. Its for the past year been only used as a commuter vehicle by another family member but the issues of wear and tear from its towing days had continued to mount $$$ .... currently in the market for a new commuter vehicle.

I like the OP had a brand new vehicle when I went looking for a trailer that did not weigh more than its towing specs. Discovered the hard way like they did that one should not always believe what they read here and or are told in regards to trailer weights. Unfortunately the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World was not around when I was shopping for my trailer. I made the mistake of believing what was posted here on various threads as to what people thought their trailers of the same make and size weighed loaded. Sadly its seems that many of those who posted the info had never actually weighed their trailers. The good news for me was I did end up with a trailer that weighed in under the total towing spec (by about 400lbs) set by the manufacture but sadly was a bit over on the tongue weight spec. Was able to do a number of things to mitigate that problem - i.e. not putting much of anything in the rear of the vehicle when towing and no rear passengers. It worked but it was not the best of situations & frankly a bit of a pain to have to keep such a close eye on it.

In hindsight due to how poorly the vehicle has worked out in regards to wear and tear issues $$$$ I probable would have been better off to have sold the vehicle and taken the loss of getting rid of such a new low milage vehicle and purchased a vehicle with a bit higher towing spec.... pretty sure in the long run it would have been cheaper.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In hindsight due to how poorly the vehicle has worked out in regards to wear and tear issues $$$$ I probable would have been better off to have sold the vehicle and taken the loss of getting rid of such a new low milage vehicle and purchased a vehicle with a bit higher towing spec.... pretty sure in the long run it would have been cheaper.
I just did as you; traded a new low mileage vehicle for a low mileage used vehicle capable of easily towing the TT I want.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #21

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
My 2014 - 13, deluxe wood, front bath, 1 propane tank and battery, w/o AC or awning weighed 1650 dry from Backus.
230 tongue weight - 1420 axle weight = 1650 total trailer weight

John Linck is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight