13 ' Trillium in 83" garage door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Can a 90" tall Trillium fit through a standard 83" high garage door? YES

The Max air fan is hardwired so I had to cut the tiewrap and unplug the feed wires from their spade fittings. I will add jumper wires when I remount.

I used 16" Steel wheels and it was close. 14" would be ever so much better.

I jacked trailer up on frame in front of the axle with my scissors jack.

I used a vise grip to hold garage door above door opening clamping it onto the track.

A little problem transitioning from asphalt to cement. Steel wheels are not forgiving of little bumps.

I used 3 - 4"x4"x8' beams which I already had and a comealong. This meant I had to hand push it the remainder of the way. Will buy 12' 2x4s for future.
I used the 4 x 4's to form a frame to anchor the comealong. I have no anchor point in my garage.

First unhook the ground wire of the battery. ON THE MAX AIR FAN: DON'T CUT THE WIRES! The wires from the Trill are attached to spade connectors. However, they are fastened to the fan frame with a tie wrap. CUT THE TIE WRAP ONLY. Then unplug the wires. Note: On the Max Air Fan website you find instructions on installing it. When I pulled it off it was held taut in the front left corner by the wires so you have to work with the fan positioned so that you can work with it. It's not too easy. You'll need another person to help you on the outside of the trailer while you work with the wires from inside.

The tongue dolly wheel has to be folded up or the trailer will be too high to fit into the garage. You have to pull or push it by hand; cannot back it in with a car. It would be too high.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I used 16" Steel wheels and it was close. 14" would be ever so much better.
I also solved my garage problem... picked up old brake discs with the right bolt pattern at the junk yard, they are just a bit larger than the trailer hubs, put them on backwards in place of the trailer wheels, and voilà, small steel wheels that allow me to back up the trailer into the garage using the vehicle without fuss.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Roger,
I use 2 1/2" aluminum wheel adapters and bought a set of 8" tires. That gives me about an 1" or so to spare.

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
WOW, thats SOUPER news!!

While I don't need to store the Trillium inside our garage this year (its in a neighbours, with a MUCH taller door) when we move we'll prolly have to self store it at that time (although my neighbour says we can store it there ANY time as long as they live there ....good rodder buddys, huh?).

I still DO plan to buy a set of 10inch steel wheels and see it I can run the trailer under whatever height garage happens to be at the place we end up buying. ...and in todays market THAT ain't about to happen ANY time soon, LOL!!!!

Attached Images

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Looks like we have sold our house so we are looking at buying a little place on .6 acres - going from 5 acres to .6 is going to suck for trailer storage!

However, the place we are looking at already has the permit in place for a 25x25 shop which I would put up pronto. I haven't looked into this but I wonder if an 8' garage door would be enough space for a Trillium?

Thanks for any answers on this!

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Quote:
Looks like we have sold our house so we are looking at buying a little place on .6 acres - going from 5 acres to .6 is going to suck for trailer storage!

However, the place we are looking at already has the permit in place for a 25x25 shop which I would put up pronto. I haven't looked into this but I wonder if an 8' garage door would be enough space for a Trillium?

Thanks for any answers on this!
I have a 9'x8' door, and it won,t fit under,
but my other door(where the hoist is) is 9'x10'
I installed an extra panel when I did the opening,because i knew I was going to be able to bring our trailer in when I wanted.(it's actually on the hoist right now undergoing a few more upgrades). LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
I haven't looked into this but I wonder if an 8' garage door would be enough space for a Trillium?
My garage door is 7' and the trailer barely fits under it using my 12 inch "wheels". Also, the trailer has no protruding parts on top other than the original vent. Here are the "wheels" in question... I may end up wrapping some rubber around them but otherwise they worked just great for me for that short distance, and backing it up with the TV was a treat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake_Disc_Wheels.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	17239
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I used 12" wheels w/o tires and the front hitch receiver on my truck.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #9

Registry
Daniel, I REALLY like your idea and may just try it!!

Booker, get off the island move here, 1.13A lots of room to build whatever ya want, 2 an 1/2 car garage, full basement could be used as a shop,....LOL!!

(geeze, I make a lousey sales agent, LOL!!!)

our agent just called with a repet showing (in all this snow an wind??) for 2:30 today.... (all crossable digits ARE crossed as I peck this message out!)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

The problem, the solution & the clearance
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2847.JPG   DCP_2848.JPG  

DCP_2849.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #11

Registry
[quote]My garage door is 7' and the trailer barely fits under it using my 12 inch "wheels". Also, the trailer has no protruding parts on top other than the original vent. Here are the "wheels" in question... I may end up wrapping some rubber around them but otherwise they worked just great for me for that short distance, and backing it up with the TV was a treat.

Attachment 17239

Daniel, what about some old style 'balloon tires' maybe stretched around the brake hubs? D'ya think it'd fit? Been meaning to discuss this issue wth my favorite tire vendor, maybe they could stretch some weenies to fit the brake hub? At least it wouldn't mar the cement of the garage floor.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Daniel, what about some old style 'balloon tires' maybe stretched around the brake hubs? D'ya think it'd fit? Been meaning to discuss this issue wth my favorite tire vendor, maybe they could stretch some weenies to fit the brake hub? At least it wouldn't mar the cement of the garage floor.
I think pretty much anything would work, including any combination of carpet and/or duct tape, as long as you don't harm any small animals.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
The problem, the solution & the clearance
Sorry Roger, didn't mean to occupy your thread like this. What you did looks a lot like what I did last year, except I used fridge casters (but not tongue first like you). Sure was a lot of work, and I swore to myself I would find a way so that I wouldn't have to do it like that ever again. I also had a minor problem transferring from asphalt to concrete, but used some plywood to even it out. If only I had thought about the vise grip for the garage door ...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Our Boler stays in the garage all the time ,
just pull the vent cover , in it goes , no problems !
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I changed out my plastic vent for a flat style metal one, so removing the vent was no longer necessary. I used the small garden tractor tires (my scamp has the four bolt pattern) which allows me to roll off gravel and onto cement without a problem. I do use a trailer tongue dolly to push the unit through the 7 foot door, with just about an inch to spare.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium