1300Trillium frame-One glimpse into Randy's work. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rock View Post
Any more info on that spare holder? I am mid way through doing my boler and want to do the same.
I looked into your photos and see that we are in the same boat, only different names of the trailers. But if I were you, at the curve portion of front end, instead of welding only L-shape rails at bottom, I would add extra horizontal, thick metal pieces right those spots( both sides). The extra weights of those pieces would be negligible compared to axle capacity but it will add extra strength into your frame in the long term of.....camping and...abuse to the frame. Just my personal opinion, though.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
it turns out my axle is rated @ 3500lbs capacity, unlike 2000lbs as I thought. So, no problemmo for me, I guess...
Do keep in mind the old maxim that "the chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

The fact that you've put a 3500 pound axle on a frame originally designed for 2200 pounds doesn't mean you've automatically increased your load carrying capacity. Always, always, the weakest part dictates the limits of the whole- I hope you'll take heed of the excellent advice folks are offering as to strengthening the frame.

Take care!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Do keep in mind the old maxim that "the chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

The fact that you've put a 3500 pound axle on a frame originally designed for 2200 pounds doesn't mean you've automatically increased your load carrying capacity. Always, always, the weakest part dictates the limits of the whole- I hope you'll take heed of the excellent advice folks are offering as to strengthening the frame.

Take care!

Francesca
.. The 3500lb axle was there when I bought the trailer. But as you said, I'll keep in mind-just as a peace of mind if anything I add above limit a bit- I also keep in mind with a bigger rim/tire as option. About rear hitch receiver, it would be definitely changed and to be on top of rear bumper instead of under-neath it( no gain at all-the reason I did in the previous trailer because it must be under-neath for rear gate dropped down, which is not the case in this Trillium). Thanks for all your advices...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
I looked into your photos and see that we are in the same boat, only different names of the trailers. But if I were you, at the curve portion of front end, instead of welding only L-shape rails at bottom, I would add extra horizontal, thick metal pieces right those spots( both sides). The extra weights of those pieces would be negligible compared to axle capacity but it will add extra strength into your frame in the long term of.....camping and...abuse to the frame. Just my personal opinion, though.
I like getting extra input. You think I need to add more flat stock to where I already added some? I have 3 inch flat on both the inside and outside of the curb side (where all bolers crack) and I added a long outside piece to the road side.

Where could I put more?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #19

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rock View Post
I like getting extra input. You think I need to add more flat stock to where I already added some? I have 3 inch flat on both the inside and outside of the curb side (where all bolers crack) and I added a long outside piece to the road side.

Where could I put more?
Must be my...bad eyes. If you already put them, that's good and that is what I meant. Thanks.