15 Amp power cord question.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Question 15 Amp power cord question....

With age and frequent use/misabuse, we've found that the male end of our Trilliums power cord has broken away the black insulation right at the base of the plug, probably caused by almost always having to invert the plug (ground plug facing toward the top) to get it into some of the parks power plugs.

We are now wondering about repair or replacement of the cord or the plug. Is it safe enough just to cut off the old male plug and replace the plug (which, in my opinion would NOT provide adequate moisture protection) OR cut the female end from the newest 30 Amp cord we have acquired and swap off the whole cord complete with the new 30 Amp male plug. We do NOT need 30 Amp protection as nothing we use needs that heavy a wire. Searching around, we have NOT been able to find a new 15Amp cord to replace the old one with (...not being made any more??).

Along that thought too, IF we change the wire, while I'm inside at the connection box in the trailer, should I also swap off the breaker to a higher Amp rated one, keeping in mind we REALLY don't need that extra power? (the current one is only about 6/7 years old now.)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They sell/make replacement heads for the cord and I would not be concerned with moisture protection beyond electrician's tape due to the 3 prong set up being grounded. I have repaired mine with no issues, just follow the instructions.
here is one 15Amp Male to 30 Amp Female Ezee Grip Aadapter
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They sell water tight plugs.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've converted my Scamp to a 15 amp power inlet. See Dan and Dawn's Scamp Travel Trailer , click on modifications and repairs and scroll down 3/4 of the way.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
If you buy a good quality plug end, you can get one that is pretty water resistant. Woodhead: 14W47, but it may not fit back in the hatch
If you buy a good quality 12 gauge extension cord, with 15 amp plugs on it, you can cut the female end off, and use that cord. I bought mine at Costco for $50.
The 30 amp outlet limits where you can plug in , unless you also buy an adapter, which is just something else to haul around.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
For 20 years, I've added electrical cords to outbuildings so I can run overhead or temporary power for lights and heaters and mostly use what I have on hand. (A heater for doghouse in winter, heater and lights to chicken coop. The building is wired and a male-end cord is hanging out the exterior.) Done right, replacing a plug is safe.

I do caution not to have a 30-amp plug on a 15-amp line. Connecting a heavy cord to lower power is safe, but the opposite may not be true. I always make sure all components match in amperage and gauge. Same with breaker box; switching the breaker to a higher amp if your interior wiring is lower can generate heat and cause a fire. You definitely want the breaker to trip if your current draw is too high! If you've never done wiring, hire someone who does. IMO, the cost is worth knowing it's safe.

To keep our cord from bending too much when using a 15-amp adapter on our 30-amp power cord, I simply use a bungee to hold the cord higher and create a gentler curve,
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote