15" TV -- what will I need? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
15" TV -- what will I need?

Hi folks...

I'm about to buy a Jensen DC/AC 15" TV, weight of TV alone just under 5 pounds. The trailer I'm buying (will pick up from seller on March 10th) has no hookups whatsoever for a TV -- no cable connection, no TV antenna, probably no outlet near the rear left or right back dining table corner where I'd like to mount it. There are overhead cabinets on both sides, but no idea if they've been reinforced for mounting a TV.

The Scamp is a 2011, 16' with layout 4.

Can you all suggest what exactly I need to have installed and approximately what it will cost? I'm an "old lady" (sort of--not medicare old yet tho) who will be traveling solo and have no skills installing stuff myself.

Thanks.

Sharon

Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You may B able to get by with an extension cord and an inside antenna.
Check this site and ask them the same question.
TV Antennas & Supplies* -*TV Antennas - Indoor Only - Shop at SolidSignal.com - Page 1

Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

Texas

ooooh lala -- just found this 12 v LCD TV that looks superior to the Jensen one AND costs less.

Skyworth 12-Volt TV 15.6" Widescreen LED TV DVD Player SLC1519A

I still need some info from you folks on what all I need to watch this TV. I mean, what's a good inside antenna for trailers? I can hold off on the cable install for a while.

Sharon
Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Our Casta did not come cable ready. I bought a 25' cable from Radio Shack and ran it through the power box door and through a whole under the bsck cushions that leads to the utility area. No mods, no cutting. I could watch TV from the table or snake it under the cushions to the shelf in the back corner.

I had very poor results with the small antennas.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Texas
Sigh. Well. I'm not sure I'll be using a lot of cable-ready camping sites anyway. I'll mostly use the DVD I guess, but wish I could find some interior antenna that would provide a few channels now and then.

Sharon
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Sigh. Well. I'm not sure I'll be using a lot of cable-ready camping sites anyway. I'll mostly use the DVD I guess, but wish I could find some interior antenna that would provide a few channels now and then.

Sharon
Go to Amazon and look for an inside antenna. You don't want the USB tuner type.

Amazon.com: television antenna indoor digital: Electronics
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I take the opposite approach. Two other friends and I started researching antennas a couple of years ago. First with the "shoebox" antenna and then with increasingly sophisticated designs. Bottom line: we are of the theory that it's better to have a larger antenna that captures a weak signal well rather have a small indoor one that depends on amplifying a very weak signal. If you're close to strong signals then they're fine otherwise go for an external antenna.

I carry a 4 bay unit. Yes it's a little bulky but does a fantastic job of pulling in signals. I use "tvfool" to tell me the direction of transmitters for my location.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Texas
How does this one look? You can stick it on a window.

Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA: Electronics

I want to try an indoor little one. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll go with something bulkier.

Sharon
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Winegard foldout antenna mounted on the rear bumper that works fairly well. Recently we were at a Camping World store and bought one of the Winegard stick on flat square antennas, it's about 18" square. I just tried it yesterday, good signal reception, but it has only two suction cups and it didn't stick good to the fiberglass, maybe because the trailer had been waxed. I think the antenna is intended to be stuck on the interior of a window, but even after it became unstuck and fell on the ground the signal was still good. I think I paid about $40. I'd give you the model number, but right now it's packed in the car, we are on our way home from three months snowbirding, sitting in a KOA, and it's dark and cold out.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
We also tested some production models of OTA antennas to give us a basis for comparison. One indoor model that performed very well was made by Terk, HDTVI, about $40. It is directional though and for best results has to be aimed. The omni-directional ones are easier to use and in areas with good signal strength work OK.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Sharon, take a look at my trailer register for photos of how mine is set up. As well as the Thread Television Mount for some pics of my set up. My 16' came with a TV cable connection combined with a 12v plug mounted on the end of kitchen upper cabinet I just put a hole in the end of the overhead to run the cable out a few inches across from the connection box into the overhead bin - put my DVD player up in the bin and ran the cable wire & electrical plugs through a hole just behind the TV mount at the rear corner with a cover on it so you dont really notice it either. I only added a small piece of wood inside the bin where I put the mount as the TV actually doesnt weigh a lot and I dont travel with it up. Just put it under the bed covers when traveling. I also added an outside cable connection for the rare times I camp someplace with cable - have actually only used it twice I think in the 3 years. It was pretty easy to wire feed the cable down behind the rat fur to the outside connection box. My trailer did have the Winegard at one point in its life but the previous owner removed it and I made the hole its crank once sat in bigger to add a fantastic fan. I havent yet found a portable type antenna that works all that well so I am also interested in hearing what people are using.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We also tested some production models of OTA antennas to give us a basis for comparison. One indoor model that performed very well was made by Terk, HDTVI, about $40. It is directional though and for best results has to be aimed. The omni-directional ones are easier to use and in areas with good signal strength work OK.
Ron did the Terk do ok inside the Scamp with the foil walls? did you need to have it near a window to work?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #13

Texas
Carol, thank you mucho for the pics of your setup. Food for thought as I anticipate picking up my Scamp from seller next Sunday. I will likely use your blueprinnt (so to speak) for my own setup. I'm getting sooooooo excited!

Sharon
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The one I just bought from Camping World is the Winegard Rayzar " ultra thin HDTV antenna". The only test I did was disconnect the Winegard fold out antenna that i was using and connect the Rayzar. Did a channel scan and the Rayzar picked up 10 channels where the foldout had picked up 13, but the three extra channels that the foldout received were not watchable, all distorted. At this point I think I'll leave the foldout antenna where it's mounted on the rear of the uhaul and use the Rayzar with our teardrop if we go to a campground with electric.

Tags
scamp