15amp fuses blow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
15amp fuses blow

I have a 2019 Big Foot 25RQ. The 15 amp fuse that is with the LED cabinet lamps is blowing fuses. I took thing apart and check resistance but the only issue I can find is that the LED bulb may not work. I tried it in a different fixture and it does not light up. I tried a different bulb in the fixture and it does light up. So I am thinking the bulb is messed up.
1. Can a faulty LED bulb cause a 15amp fuse to blow?
2. This is the bulb: 1.2W LED MR16 Light Bulb, 12v, 50hz, 1.2w, GU5.3, bi pin. I cannot find this exact bulb. What would be an acceptable replacement.

I contacted the mfg but they are off for the holidays.

I am having guests stay in it while visiting me, and am hoping to get this fixed.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I have a 2019 Big Foot 25RQ. The 15 amp fuse that is with the LED cabinet lamps is blowing fuses. I took thing apart and check resistance but the only issue I can find is that the LED bulb may not work. I tried it in a different fixture and it does not light up. I tried a different bulb in the fixture and it does light up. So I am thinking the bulb is messed up.
1. Can a faulty LED bulb cause a 15amp fuse to blow?
2. This is the bulb: 1.2W LED MR16 Light Bulb, 12v, 50hz, 1.2w, GU5.3, bi pin. I cannot find this exact bulb. What would be an acceptable replacement.

I contacted the mfg but they are off for the holidays.

I am having guests stay in it while visiting me, and am hoping to get this fixed.
Most RV dealerships and Camping World (ugh!) carry a wide assortment of LED bulbs. Take it with you to match it. If you tried a different bulb and it lit up but did not blow a fuse but the faulty bulb does blow a fuse, then the bulb in question is definitely the problem. Any time a short circuit or higher amperage demand than a fuse rating is present, the fuse WILL do its intended job and sacrifice itself.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thank you CPW. I just want to be certain I understand. A bad LED bulb can cause a fuse to blow, correct? I need not look for any other reason.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Thank you CPW. I just want to be certain I understand. A bad LED bulb can cause a fuse to blow, correct? I need not look for any other reason.
Yes. While most LEDs fail open, they can fail shorted, which would blow the fuse.

As to a replacement, you need something in about the same wattage, color temperature (if you are happy with the color of the previous lamp) and base. The term BiPin includes 2 different bases, one with narrow pins & one with a "T" shaped pin. My captain's lights use the narrow pin. Home Depot sells both types - I'd take the old lamp with me to be sure it is the same...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thank you very much Jon. I ordered from RVUpgradestoredotcom. Fairly certain I bought the exact replacement.

It is curious, I goggled the info on the light itself but could not identify anything even remotely similar. I went to Amazon and nothing. Eventually I went to RVupgradestoredotcom and there it was. I wonder why it did not come up when I googled it. Oh well.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
I worked in auto dealers most of my life. Anything can cause a short. Long time ago a new car was popping taillight fuses. This car had 4 bulbs of the same type, 1156s I believe, in each taillight housing. One each for brake, tail, turn, and backup.

I pulled all of the bulbs. checked the sockets and wiring. I visually checked the bulbs and used an ohm meter to make sure they had continuity. I found nothing wrong. I put it back together and now I was blowing a different fuse so I had a bad bulb that was blowing fuses but looked fine.

We had a lot of fun pulling gags on other mechanics with that bulb. An led bulb is much more complex than an old filament bulb so I am sure there are multiple ways for them to fail.

Sorry for the long winded post....ThomasC
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

Tennessee
tom, not long winded at all, exactly the kind of information I need. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #8

Tennessee
I rep'd the following. the light is the correct replacement and no further issues with the fuse burning out.

RVupgradestore.com.

Arcon 50559 Multi-Purpose LED Light Bulb - 12V - Bright White @ $2.46 each
Old 01-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
As an Electronic Engineer, I was very interested when LED lights started coming out. I followed blogs on their development. Many people did tear downs of them. The lighting industry seemed to be having problems going from a cheap bulb that needed to be replaced frequently to an expensive bulb that could last almost forever. Many tear downs showed cheap components that would fail. Others had parts that will wear out with time. I think that was the industry's plan to keep the bulb cheaper and keep their replacement business alive. My point here is that you should buy a bulb from a reputable company. Also, the drivers for the LEDs can fail open or shorted.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote