16' Casita v. 16' Scamp Weights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
16' Casita v. 16' Scamp Weights

I am trying to decide between the Casita and Scamp 16' models. I sold my 13' Scamp, which I liked but wanted a bathroom and a bit more room. Anyway, I would like to get a Casita this time around but it appears that the same size trailers with similar options are about 600 lbs. heavier in the Casita. Is it just that it has heavier fiberglass or am I comparing apples with oranges?
Thanks for any input!
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My 1994 16' Casita SD with air conditioning up front under the closet weighs in about 2300lbs gross and 260lbs tongue weight.(newer ones may weigh more) Interior height inside the casita is 5' 10"......
16 foot Scamps which i don't have a weight for have an interior height of about 6' 2" so i thought they would be heavier.
Anyway this is a starting point for you and i am sure others will chime in with there specs.
Hope this helps.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You should take a look a real world loaded weights that Frederick has kindly posted. He weighed the trailers at meets.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...g-42610-2.html
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You should take a look a real world loaded weights that Frederick has kindly posted. He weighed the trailers at meets.
I recommend reading Trailer Weights in the Real World.

Here are some comparisons:
LENGTH__MAKE_____MODEL______AXLE___TONGUE__TOTAL
16’_______Scamp _________________2100_____320______2420
16'_______Scamp _____Standard_____2280_____240______2520
16'_______Scamp _____Deluxe_______2440_____360______2800
16’_______Casita______Freedom _____2580_____240______2820
Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
Thank you - I think those numbers say it all. I will have to stick with the Scamp since my car pulls 3500 and I don't want to get too close to that. number. I wish the manufacturers would give an accurate weight of an empty trailer. It would make for a more educated purchase and a safer one.

Carol Marie
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMarie View Post
I wish the manufacturers would give an accurate weight of an empty trailer. It would make for a more educated purchase and a safer one.
Just a friendly reminder, the weights I quoted in post #4 were for fully loaded trailers, as-towed by their owners. With a towing capacity of 3500 pounds, any of the 16' examples, even the Casita, should work for you IMHO.

I have been to several RV shows and sales lots. Brand new units have much more information about dry (empty) weights plus load limits on the new labels that are required by the government, than what was available back in the 1970's when my trailer was built...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Carol the manufacture can not give one weight for its trailers due to the different options that each trailer has which will make a big difference to the dry weight of the trialer. Besides few people tow an empty trailers without any options, so it is good to see the real world weights of the loaded trailers in general, which is what has been shown here.

Another point to consider is that a car with a 3500lb tow limit should be ok with many of the 16' but an equally as important question is what is your cars tongue weight limit? A number of cars with 3500lb tow limits also have a tongue weight limit of 200lbs or less, which can be a problem towing many of the 16's. The tongue weight on Scamps for example is different based on year and model - also how many propane tanks, size of battery, location of bath (up front or on the side) and ac (in the closet or on the roof),front window gravel cover etc, will also have an impact - not to mention where you stow things in general. For example I can change the tongue weight by just moving a bag of cloths from the front bunk to the back of the trailer :-) A better example would be that I use to carry bikes inside the trailer but when I changed to carrying the bikes on top of the car the tongue weight jumped up by 40lbs (and they are very light bikes). I could have put the bikes on the very back of the trailer but that would have made the tongue weight go down - but it would have been to the point that it was no longer a safe tow. Some people suggest adding an equilizer hitch to help with the tongue weight issues but just make sure the car manufacture allows the use of equilizer hitches before you have one installed - a number of manufactures do not support the use of them. Subaru for example is one that does not.

I know it all seems a bit confusing but half the fun of getting a trailer is looking at all the different trailers and options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #8

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Scamp 16" Deluxe
California
Question Scamp 16" Deluxe

Hello, all

Thanks for posting threads with the info of the fully loaded weight for scamp 16. I am getting a new 16 deluxe in June 2022. I have just installed hitch and wires on my Mercedes GLC300 this week. The towing weight for GLC300 is 3500 lbs. By knowing a fully loaded 16 deluxe under 3000 lbs. makes me feel little bit less worried. When you say fully loaded, did you mean fully loaded with clothes, food and water etc.?

I am looking at my order check list, was thinking to reduce two 20 lbs. propane to one 20 lbs. in order to reduce more weight. please share with me about whether 1 is sufficient or not. I am not planning to do boondock camping. I also prefer to get the water once arrive at camp site. For my scamp, I did not even install AC and awning, just furnace as I am more afraid of being cold than hot. My goal is to reduce the weight as much as possible just in case in the future I may haul bikes inside of the scamp, or place kayaks on top of my car etc. I was even thinking to switch to 16 standard, however when I saw the rear bed is only 44" in width, I had to go with deluxe 54". I weigh about 130 lbs. and my honey weighs about 155lbs. we are both fit, so still thinking about cramming into 44' width bed, not sure switching to standard for weight reduction would be a good idea. so much to think about it.
akisong16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp