16' Scamp floor removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Hello all, I'm the other half of Fab W. and need to know how the floor (wood) is attached to the body of a scamp? We want to do a frame off restoration and everything is out except the floor. Looks like glue is all that's holding it on as I can't see any bolts or screws holding it on to the frame or body.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Woolfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Oufffffffff!!!! big job

The wood was attached to the shell with figerglass and resin and it was not easy removable, you need to cut fiberglass with a grinder or other tool
I have replace a complete side of the wood floor on my previous Scamp 16 1989 and it was a big job
The wood was attached to the frame by a lot of self tapping screw all along the frame anf it was difficult to locate , you need to remove all inside furniture
Many folks remove floor when rotten but i dont see anyone the he remove entire shell from frame on scamp 16

Goog luck
Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bob
I have repaired several scamp floors and a multimaster tool is the best tool to cut the floor from the side walls. I have a S16 now that I am working on that needs a complete floor change. If you cut out all the upper floor sections at one you will have no support for the lower part of the shell and you will have a mess to deal with.
You have four major upper floor sections that make up the upper floor. I would start at the rear and work foreward at replacing the upper sections. The lower floor can be replaced when you have one or both upper side sections out. The upper floor side sections overhang the inside of the frame making the lower floor hard to deal with when replacing and attaching the lower floor.
Lowes sells self tapping countersunk screws for attaching wood to metal to attach your new floor down to the frame. You also need to use a sealing adhesive between the floor and frame to prevent leaks. Getting out the old screws in some cases may be next to impossible. It's best just to cut them off flush once you get up the old floor.
Also if you pull out the center lower floor section and both upper side floor sections at once, this will be an ideal time to replace the axel if needed. I also clean up and paint the frame as I replace the floor sections.
Send me a P.M. with your phone number if you want more info.
Good Luck
Eddie
One more note: The shell is also glassed to the frame arms around each side of the lower door.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Thanks Yvon and Eddie,

After taking off the linoleum I found that the floor is good with no rot so the frame off resto is a no go. Will take all the rat hair out and rewire though. Thanks for all the help.

Bob

P.S. I've gotten a little obsessed about renovating this thing.
Bob Woolfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
A little? Ya think?
Fab W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp