16 vs 17 casita spirit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
A midsize SUV with a 6 cyl. will work just fine with any of these trailers. The extra tongue weight of the 17' Casita dropped the rear end of my SUV just over 2". Had to purchase a Weight Distribution Hitch to bring it back up to level but I like the extra security it gives me while towing so I'm glad to have it. Have towed many thousands of miles since our purchase and have never once felt the trailer sway so as Tom said it has more to do with the trailer being improperly loaded.

We were looking for a 16' Scamp when we found and purchased our Casita but I'm sure we would have been just as happy with a Scamp. Now that we are used to the wider bed,the flat front door and the little extra room it has for the three of us it would be hard to go back to a 16' now. We average about 13.5 to 14 MPG so we do get jealous of Norm and Ginny being able to tow with a 4 cyl. and the great gas mileage they get. That alone makes a 16' Scamp quite desirable with the price of gas climbing again!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Randy, After we get home from Newfoundland this spring we"ll do a few more mods and be heading out for our 6th loop of the USA.

Hopefully fuel prices won"t climb too much more but I rather doubt it. Gas represented a significant part of our expenses last year. I fear inflation is not far behind.

We like the Casita 17 but it's too heavy for our Honda. We'd like to have a lengthened Scamp 16, same weight, same frontal area, possibly better aerodynamics by extending and reshaping the Scamp's rear, hoping for the same mpgs with more Scamp volume.

Dreaming is fun...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
Yes Norm and Ginny dreaming is fun and so is being able to afford to travel and explore this great country. The price of gas kept us closer to home this last summer and we are still hoping prices come back down by this summer but talk about dreaming......So much to see and so little time!!

When we purchased our Casita it was advertised by the owner as weighing 2000 pounds. We were all excited to be able to purchase a 17' Casita that weighs less than a 16' Scamp that we had been looking for. After towing it a couple times something just didn't seem right so we took it and had it weighed and we were surprised to find out it was closer to 3000 than it was to 2000. We do like it and have gotten used to the extra weight but our gas mileage isn't quite as good as we were hoping....
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Comparing SD models: the Casita 16' has a little less overhead storage but it has a wider aisle because the smaller refrig isn't as deep. The 16' refrig doesn't have a freezer which the 17' does. As mentioned, the 16' has lower headroom, smaller bed and less tongue weight. The axle is a little farther back, proportionally so it is more prone to sway than the 17". My 16' in travel trim weighs within a gnat's eyebrow of 3000 pounds.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #19

Florida
Steve
We towed a Casita 16 for a year with our Honda CRV and found it never swayed. We kept the tongue weight low at 230 lbs.

Initially we fid not use an anti-sway bar. It was our son's trailer and we eventually added one as a gift.

The Casita towed well. The Scamps aisle is about a half foot wider than the Casita's.

Also I think the front window gives a larger feel to the Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

Florida
Randy,
I'm hoping that fuel prices will decrease as well but I'm not counting on it. My guess is that prices will continue to increase so my rule is to travel now.

Actually we're among the lucky rv owners,
Imagine if you were getting 8 or 9 mpg like many of the big rigs do.

This year it's Nfld and a big loop of the USA.

Many think we're foolish to tow with a Honda CRV but mileage (and reliability) are a goal. Yesterday someone asked me about the Honda, "Are you afraid to take your Honda to Newfoundland?" (9 years old and 190,000 miles).

Of course not, I'd be happy to break down in Newfoundland- just kidding but I can't think of a better place to be stuck.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Comparing SD models: the Casita 16' ...
The axle is a little farther back, proportionally so it is more prone to sway than the 17".
Steve, did you mean the axle of the 16 foot is a little further forward, proportionately, making it more prone to sway than the 17 foot model?

The Casita 17' looks like it was designed in part by adding a foot to the 16', entirely ahead of the axle. This makes the tongue weight really high, but the resulting axle-rearward proportions (of the 17') are good for stability.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Yes I reported it backwards. The 16' axle is more in the middle making it more sensitive.

Also I noticed that the wheel well on the 17 crowds the battery box and water heater suggesting the axle is more than a foot backwards compared to the 16.

Tags
casita