Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
16 vs 17 casita spirit

I was wondering if you guys could tell me what i would be missing out on if i got the 16 foot rather than the 17 foot casita. Other than the obvious minus one foot of space. I think the fridge is smaller?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Also the bed is smaller and I think the headroom is a little less. Others more knowlegeable than me will chime in I'm sure. I remember from talking with Casita a couple of years ago there were a few things.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
16' weighs less than the 17' and has lower tongue weight, bed is smaller, frig is smaller, door is curved (not flat), floor is raised several inches at rear
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
16 versus 17

We used a Casita 16 for a year. To me the main issue with the Casita 16 was the interior height, only 5' 10", a problem for my plus 6 foot height.

We had the opportunity to get a Casita 17 at a good price but decided against it because it was very heavy, particularly nose heavy. From looking at the statistics on this site, typically in the 400 pound range.

The heavy tongue weight and much heavier trailer weight would have required a substantial tow vehicle.

Our analysis was that a Scamp 16, except for the wider bed was a better choice for us. It made no sense to us to purchase a Casita 17 and than have to spend $25-30,000 for a wider bed and get significantly lower mpg.

2004 Honda CRV
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #5

Iowa
Ok thank you so much, i never thought of the head room. DH is 6' 2" so that would not work for us. This site is a world of help at my fingertips. Thank you all very much!!!!!
So Norm, what else do you like about the Scamp as opposed to the casita?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
The Egg Camper has 6'7" headroom if that's important. Also a bit wider inside for a taller person to stretch out on the bed.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Iowa
As cute as the egg camper is, i prefer the carpet on the walls for a cozier feel....Thank you though!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

New Hampshire
Scamp and Casita

There are a number of things I like about the Scamp 16. We have layout 4.

Scamp Travel Trailers: 16 Foot Floor Plans

Front window plus side bath provides more light and makes the Scamp look larger than a Casita.

Wider aisle over the Casita 16, at least the ones I've been in. The sink side is only 1.5 feet deep providing an additional 1/2 foot in width.

Kitchen counters on both sides, provides an open look and potential for more storage.

The Scamp is lighter than the Casita 16 meaning a lighter tow vehicle.

I think that the Scamp is better insulated but have no proof. It seems to me that there's an aluminum foil composite behind the rug like surface coating in the Scamp that does not exist in the Casita.

Scamp has a nice online parts store.

Casita positives.

Bathroom is larger, the bottom of the Casita is fiberglass.

For us the larger bathroom is not relevant because we usually take showers in the campground but the Casita's is handy particularly if yo do a lot of boondocking.

Though the bottom of the Casita is wooden it is coated with resin and I've never seen any problem with floors from the bottom. We painted our's white for appearance (though it's mostly me that sees it.) Our rig is 21 years old and no leaks I can find.

We bought our's used and the only thing I would change is I would go with the larger refigerator and rear overhead storage (which I added).

We are on the road a lot and have traveled in a Casita, a Scamp and a stickbuilt Sunline. In every case I've modified the rigs to meet our travel needs. Our mods are at the following site.

Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM or to ask them here.

2004 Honda CRV
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
I've owned both. There is a HUGE difference between a 48" wide bed and a 54" wide bed. 54" is a std. double bed size. I use a store-bought mattress on mine.
And the 16' doesn't have a freezer compartment, if I remember correctly.
LKG907
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
With your husband being 6'2", you might want to look at the Casita Liberty, which makes a "king" sized bed (you sleep fore and aft, instead of side to side). This means converting the bed to "day use" - not a big hassle, if you just roll back the covers to make a "sofa" backing along the back of the trailer. I think the Casitas are only about 6' wide, so sleeping side to side would be tricky, no matter how wide the bed is.

The Casita Liberty has a more open feel than the Freedom or Spirit; plus in the 17 ft., there's a few inches more galley space.

I hope this helps.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #11

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
YIKES, I have been searching for a 17 ft Casita and did not realize there is a weight and tongue weight difference in the 16 and 17 foot models. Is there much more storage in the 17 foot model? I have a mid size suv and should be able to haul both but wondering if I should be thinking 16 feet because of tongue weight. I can do with the smaller bed in the 16 foot model. Height is not an issue. I do think Casita's are made better. My 16 ft Scamp did not have as much to offer as my 16 ft Casita. I wanted the 17 foot because of the door and screen door on the 17 ft Casita. Should I be rethinking?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #12

New Hampshire
Casita 16 Condensation

Both the Scamp and Casita can get condensation on their windows. The Casita unlike the Scamp can also get condensation on their bathroom walls. Condensation on the Casita's bathroom walls was a pain because it led to mold, requiring the walls to be occasionally washed down.

Part of this was due to the fact that the Casitas bathroom walls are mostly outside walls with no insulation(?). The Scamp's one outside wall seems to have insulation and as a result no condensation.

After having both rigs, spending over 200 nights in them, and doing plenty of renovations and modifications, I can not find virtually any difference in the construction quality of the Scamp and Casita.

2004 Honda CRV
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #13

Name: Arlen
Trailer: Jayco 5th wheel
Michigan
On another subject; Is there any problem with whiplash due to the trailer having only 1 axle? In the past when we passed trucks on the highway, our Scotty would sway a bit.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Name: Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen Matson View Post
On another subject; Is there any problem with whiplash due to the trailer having only 1 axle? In the past when we passed trucks on the highway, our Scotty would sway a bit.
I suspect you mean sway. Whiplash is what happens to your head when your car gets rear ended.

Sway is generally a result of having the trailer improperly loaded.

Tags
casita