16ft scamp deluxe or 5th wheel?? Please help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #15

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp on order!
California
Thanks again for all the info. I need to say too that Kent Evelund and Wayne have been so accommodating of our situation. We were really disappointed about he fracture in the door , we spent so long waiting and saving for this trailer. So relieved that they are willing to make it all right and even give us the option to upgrade!

So I think after reading what everybody said and our own research I think we will go with the standard 5th wheel. We are in Torrance CA is anybody nearby that we could look at theirs? I will call Scamp too on Monday to see if there are any close .

I also decided not to get the oven after seeing how tiny it is, basically a small casserole dish will fit. Does anybody use theirs and LOVE it. Also wondering if the awning is the same manufacturer as the 16 footer Fiamma, it works so great we are hoping it is!

Thank you all again!!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I, too, have a (heavily modified) "standard" Scamp 5er. So many other 5er owners have chimed in that I'm surprised I have any thing to add, but . . .

First, the loft can become a great kid's playhouse on rainy days and before bed-time. Send them to the loft with some toys, and you two can drink coffee and read in the dinette.

If you have been comfortable sleeping in the 16' Scamp's dinette bed, you'll do just fine in the loft, but one of he benefits of having a permanent bed set up in the loft is you can get a nicer mattress. A 6" thick "queen" memory foam mattress off of eBay (Sleepy Mountain Mattress) in the loft makes our camper bed as comfortable as our bed at home. (Better, actually: We liked our camper's memory foam mattress so much we got one for home, too.) Just make a cardboard template for the shape of your loft, then use an an electric carving knife to cut the foam mattress to match.

Someone else here mentioned that later on, when your kids aren't so interested in camping, you can convert the loft to a front-to-back setup. We made this conversion, and love it! And, since the dinette can still be converted to a bed, it still works as a family camper. (Or you can send the kids outside and tell them to use a tent.)

We take our Scamp 5er on weeks-long camping/road trips. If you plan to do the same, I'd suggest getting a larger refrigerator.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
I'm glad we got the standard Scamp 5er rather than the deluxe. I'm 5' 11 and was not comfortable sleeping crossways as my feet were against the window, so we installed a full size mattress running front to back. We are much more comfortable with this modification and there are some added benefits such as added storage beside the mattress and no one has to climb over the other to get out of bed. We could not have done this with the deluxe. This modification eliminates the use of the bunks beds as the mattress rests on the top bunk and we have an access ladder on the bottom. The size difference between the 5er and a the 16' is a bit deceptive as the loft area has no floor space. I believe the 5er is built on the 13' base with the loft extended forward. I have never pulled a conventional camping trailer, but am led to believe that 5th wheels are more stable than conventional trailers. I find our 5er very smooth to tow with a Nissan Frontier, 6-cylinder. We've been in some moderate wind conditions without problems and being passed by semis hasn't caused any trouble. The 5th wheel configuration eliminates a lot of the carrying capacity of our 6' pickup bed. We have a large tool box in the front of the bed and can carry quite bit in the back seat of the crew cab. We are generally happy with our 5er, but realize whatever RV one chooses there will always be some compromises. Good luck with your decision.

Stretcher could you please upload pics of your setup? I would Love to see what you have done!

Thanks!

Amy
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Amy, photos attached, I hope

Hi Amy,

Here are three not great photos of our modified loft of 2011 Scamp 5er.

I joined two 26-1/4" X 72" 1/2" plywood sheets and attached a rabbeted 52-1/2" 2"x2" to one end to form a base for the full-size mattress. I had to disassemble them to get them into the loft and then rejoined them in place. The base extends slightly beyond the top of the couch back, which serves as a rear support. I inserted a couple eyebolts in the 2"x2" through which I looped short bungies that secure the top of the Gorilla Easy-Step 2-step ladder from Home Depot. It stands on the couch base after removing the cushion. We made a shorter cushion, which fits between the ladder and curbside end. We have cat carrier on the other side of the ladder.

Getting the mattress into the loft was a bit of a fight. Once there, it fits tight between the support pillars. We put a memory foam topper on it and now it's quite luxurious, especially compared to the foam cushions. I am able to sit up comfortably and just have to be careful of the vent crank and the curtain rod when getting in or out. I wrapped a Velcro strap around the curtain rod's removable end bracket to keep from knocking down the rod. There are 9-10" wide spaces on both sides of the mattress, in which we store bedding and extra clothing.

This modification adds 50 to 75# to the tongue weight, but makes sleeping in the loft far more comfortable. Getting in and out much improved as no one has to climb over the other.

Hope the photos are helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp loft, closer view.jpg   Scamp loft, long view.jpg  

Scamp steps.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #19

California
Thanks Stretcher! That looks great and SO comfy! The mattress you got was the memory foam one? It looks like with the set up though you can't use the bunks?

Thanks for taking the time and taking the pics!

Best,

Amy
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy s View Post
Thanks Stretcher! That looks great and SO comfy! The mattress you got was the memory foam one? It looks like with the set up though you can't use the bunks?

Thanks for taking the time and taking the pics!

Best,

Amy
Mattress is a moderately priced full size to which we added a memory foam pad. No, we can't use the bunks. The reality of the bunks is that a person sleeping in the far front has to crawl over two other people, if someone is in the top bunk. Not a very practical setup.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy s View Post
Also wondering if anyone uses a toyota tacoma to pull it? Seems like it is a difficult install for the hitch in the bed.
I tow my Scamp 19' Deluxe with 2013 Tacoma (6 cyl. 4.0 engine, four door, short bed). It tows easily, I get 17MPG with tail wind, 14MPG with head wind. The truck alone, with a bed cover, gets 20 to 21MPG. I bought the "new" hitch kit from Eveland's and installed it myself. (The horse trailer dealer nearby was not chafing at the bit to get hired for the job.) I got great help over the phone from the person who installs the hitches in Backus, MN, they gave me his number. I was able to use the bed mounting bolts to attach it, so it is connected to the frame as well as the composite bed and satisfies the dimensional limit from ball to corner of bumper. I had to get four pieces of flat steel cut and drilled to my design, but it was not very hard to do, overall.
Good luck.
Paul
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Oregon
We have a 19' standard layout with a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 6' bed. We towed for 9 years with a 1996 Tacoma extra cab, but this year the boys (11 and almost 10 years old) finally outgrew it and we had to get a larger truck. I went with the long bed so we can still nest 4 bikes between the cab and the trailer and still have clearance for turning. We chose the Standard layout so that it is more open inside. We also removed the front couch a couple of years ago and installed temporary storage drawers for extra storage on long trips (we did a 5 week road trip and this worked great).

For the hitch, I bought a used Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch and rails. We removed the rocker arm and installed a thick plate with a 2" ball to the top of the hitch frame and added loops for the safety chains. I then had a local fabrication shop make custom brackets, install them on the frame and install the rails in the bed. We keep the hitch out of the bed unless we are towing (my old Tacoma had the original Scamp hitch mounted in the bed all the time).

Either way, you'll have a ton of fun and great memories. Buying our Scamp was the best investment we've made in our family for memories. We do a ton of camping as a family and one-on-one special camping weekends with our kids. One tip that we wish we had done is to keep a log in the trailer where we recorded each camping trip that we did and the highlights of the trip.

-Isaac
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #23

Name: james
Trailer: scamp
Washington
We just bought a 2010 5th wheel deluxe and fell in love with it. We pull it with a Ford F150 half ton. Make sure you have somebody who knows what there doing install your hitch. I went to a shop to get mine done. Scamp has one but it's close to $500 without installation. Good Luck

Tags
scamp