16ft scamp deluxe or 5th wheel?? Please help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp on order!
California
16ft scamp deluxe or 5th wheel?? Please help!

Hello everyone!

We recently received a new 16 foot Scamp deluxe, that is BEAUTIFUL. But there is a serious problem with the fit of the door so the company has decided to replace our trailer with a new one. I am just wondering if we should order the 5th wheel now . We are a family of 4 ( one is only 2) but I am thinking the extra room would be great.

If anyone with a fifth wheel or a fifth wheel deluxe would let me know how they like theirs I would be very grateful! I really prefer the look of the 16 foot, but wondering if the convenience of the extra room would outweigh my preference on how it looks.

Could anyone with the 5th wheel post pics of the inside of theirs I would be super appreciative too!!

Thank you so much,

Amy
amy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Amy, you can go to the Scamp web site and view the layout of the 5er. Also do a search on this site for 5er's. Good luck in your quest.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I love mine, but it's an '84, I'm sure the inside changed (as has mine, anyway).

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Amy, with 2 kids if this is something your gonna want to have for years to come I would say get the 5th wheel. More beds and you and your husband could have the illusion of more privacy. Then down the road when the kids dont want to come with you have your own bedroom and a large dinette! I think way down the road when I retire I want an Escape 5th wheel to fulltime in.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Call Scamp about folks in California that are willing to show you their Scamp 5er, or post your area location here(?). If there is someone near you, it may be worth the drive to see it in person.
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Remember that you need a pickup truck to tow the 5th wheel so if you don't have one now that could be a factor.

We have had both a Scamp 16 standard and a 5th wheel deluxe and really liked the 5th wheel better. Liked the way it towed and the extra space....but we already had a pickup truck so that was not an issue. We have an Escape 5th wheel now and got it for the interior height and the front to back bed. Also remember that the Deluxe 5th wheel Scamp has the main bed side to side which could be an issue if you are tall. The standard can have the bed front to back which is like the photo posted earlier.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
we have a standard 5er

I'm glad we got the standard Scamp 5er rather than the deluxe. I'm 5' 11 and was not comfortable sleeping crossways as my feet were against the window, so we installed a full size mattress running front to back. We are much more comfortable with this modification and there are some added benefits such as added storage beside the mattress and no one has to climb over the other to get out of bed. We could not have done this with the deluxe. This modification eliminates the use of the bunks beds as the mattress rests on the top bunk and we have an access ladder on the bottom.
The size difference between the 5er and a the 16' is a bit deceptive as the loft area has no floor space. I believe the 5er is built on the 13' base with the loft extended forward.
I have never pulled a conventional camping trailer, but am led to believe that 5th wheels are more stable than conventional trailers. I find our 5er very smooth to tow with a Nissan Frontier, 6-cylinder. We've been in some moderate wind conditions without problems and being passed by semis hasn't caused any trouble.
The 5th wheel configuration eliminates a lot of the carrying capacity of our 6' pickup bed. We have a large tool box in the front of the bed and can carry quite bit in the back seat of the crew cab.
We are generally happy with our 5er, but realize whatever RV one chooses there will always be some compromises. Good luck with your decision.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I think the 19 base is the 16 footer. Remember the 16 is about 3 ft of tongue. The 19 uses that 3 feet plus another 3 ft. I have the 16 and will move to the 19 standard in the spring.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: scamp 13 scamp 5th, casita 13
Michigan
Id go with the 5th wheel - I just got one 1 week ago and I LOVE IT!!!.

I have the 13ft Scamp as well as a 13ft Casita w/ full shower in front. I really have never camped in the 16 but I do know having that huge bed up front is wonderful.

Mine did not come with the hitch itself, so I had to find one and have it mounted $100.00 with slides and braces was the best deal I could fine and my friend mounted for free.

I vote 5th!

Good Luck

Happy Scamping!
lshelly1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Our previous fiberglass trailer was a standard Scamp 5er and we really enjoyed it. We had 2 adults and 4 kids in it. Basically, the kids had the front of the trailer and we used the back end, which gave us the table area when we sat up late or got up early in the morning and wanted to have our coffee inside. When the weather was bad, there was more room for them to be up in the loft reading or playing games together than if we just had a 16 footer. And to this day it was the easiest towing trailer we've owned. If I already had the truck and knew it would have enough seating in case my family grew in the future (that became our problem), I would choose the 5th wheel. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #11

Massachusetts
You are right, the base is a 16'. I didn't realize the tongue was included in the measurement. When looking at the window configurations of the three sizes, it's obvious that the 19' is the same as the 16'. Thanks for straightening out my thinking.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #12

California
Thank you for all the replies, so so helpful! Looks like we are going with the 19foot. Now just have to decide on standard or deluxe! lol I really like the little stairs and parition from the kids, and the birch wood is just so pretty but then we lose 2 beds, if my girls ever want to bring a friend! Ugh. Such quality problems

Also wondering if anyone uses a toyota tacoma to pull it? Seems like it is a difficult install for the hitch in the bed.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Best,

Amy
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #13

Massachusetts
Ask Scamp about the Tacoma. There used to be a problem mounting their hitch in a Tacoma bed, but their new hitch may have solved the problem. We pull a 5er easily with a Nissan Frontier, which is pretty comparable to a Tacoma.

Be sure you are comfortable sleeping crossways in the loft bed, it was too short for me at 5' 11". I also think I would find the small entrance claustrophobic and think air circulation would be poor. You can always replace the particle board cabinet doors with wood.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #14

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
We had the deluxe Scamp 19. Yes, height is an issue for sleeping sideways in the loft but if you aren't tall then the loft should be fine. We didn't find it claustrophobic at all. There is good height in the loft area so you don't feel like the ceiling is closing in on you. We didn't have upper cabinets in the loft which made it feel roomy. There is a spacious cabinet accessed from the loft above the bathroom which seemed bottomless! Also, with the big windows on each side and the roof emergency hatch there is lots of air and light in the loft.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #15

California
Thanks again for all the info. I need to say too that Kent Evelund and Wayne have been so accommodating of our situation. We were really disappointed about he fracture in the door , we spent so long waiting and saving for this trailer. So relieved that they are willing to make it all right and even give us the option to upgrade!

So I think after reading what everybody said and our own research I think we will go with the standard 5th wheel. We are in Torrance CA is anybody nearby that we could look at theirs? I will call Scamp too on Monday to see if there are any close .

I also decided not to get the oven after seeing how tiny it is, basically a small casserole dish will fit. Does anybody use theirs and LOVE it. Also wondering if the awning is the same manufacturer as the 16 footer Fiamma, it works so great we are hoping it is!

Thank you all again!!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I, too, have a (heavily modified) "standard" Scamp 5er. So many other 5er owners have chimed in that I'm surprised I have any thing to add, but . . .

First, the loft can become a great kid's playhouse on rainy days and before bed-time. Send them to the loft with some toys, and you two can drink coffee and read in the dinette.

If you have been comfortable sleeping in the 16' Scamp's dinette bed, you'll do just fine in the loft, but one of he benefits of having a permanent bed set up in the loft is you can get a nicer mattress. A 6" thick "queen" memory foam mattress off of eBay (Sleepy Mountain Mattress) in the loft makes our camper bed as comfortable as our bed at home. (Better, actually: We liked our camper's memory foam mattress so much we got one for home, too.) Just make a cardboard template for the shape of your loft, then use an an electric carving knife to cut the foam mattress to match.

Someone else here mentioned that later on, when your kids aren't so interested in camping, you can convert the loft to a front-to-back setup. We made this conversion, and love it! And, since the dinette can still be converted to a bed, it still works as a family camper. (Or you can send the kids outside and tell them to use a tent.)

We take our Scamp 5er on weeks-long camping/road trips. If you plan to do the same, I'd suggest getting a larger refrigerator.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
I'm glad we got the standard Scamp 5er rather than the deluxe. I'm 5' 11 and was not comfortable sleeping crossways as my feet were against the window, so we installed a full size mattress running front to back. We are much more comfortable with this modification and there are some added benefits such as added storage beside the mattress and no one has to climb over the other to get out of bed. We could not have done this with the deluxe. This modification eliminates the use of the bunks beds as the mattress rests on the top bunk and we have an access ladder on the bottom. The size difference between the 5er and a the 16' is a bit deceptive as the loft area has no floor space. I believe the 5er is built on the 13' base with the loft extended forward. I have never pulled a conventional camping trailer, but am led to believe that 5th wheels are more stable than conventional trailers. I find our 5er very smooth to tow with a Nissan Frontier, 6-cylinder. We've been in some moderate wind conditions without problems and being passed by semis hasn't caused any trouble. The 5th wheel configuration eliminates a lot of the carrying capacity of our 6' pickup bed. We have a large tool box in the front of the bed and can carry quite bit in the back seat of the crew cab. We are generally happy with our 5er, but realize whatever RV one chooses there will always be some compromises. Good luck with your decision.

Stretcher could you please upload pics of your setup? I would Love to see what you have done!

Thanks!

Amy
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Amy, photos attached, I hope

Hi Amy,

Here are three not great photos of our modified loft of 2011 Scamp 5er.

I joined two 26-1/4" X 72" 1/2" plywood sheets and attached a rabbeted 52-1/2" 2"x2" to one end to form a base for the full-size mattress. I had to disassemble them to get them into the loft and then rejoined them in place. The base extends slightly beyond the top of the couch back, which serves as a rear support. I inserted a couple eyebolts in the 2"x2" through which I looped short bungies that secure the top of the Gorilla Easy-Step 2-step ladder from Home Depot. It stands on the couch base after removing the cushion. We made a shorter cushion, which fits between the ladder and curbside end. We have cat carrier on the other side of the ladder.

Getting the mattress into the loft was a bit of a fight. Once there, it fits tight between the support pillars. We put a memory foam topper on it and now it's quite luxurious, especially compared to the foam cushions. I am able to sit up comfortably and just have to be careful of the vent crank and the curtain rod when getting in or out. I wrapped a Velcro strap around the curtain rod's removable end bracket to keep from knocking down the rod. There are 9-10" wide spaces on both sides of the mattress, in which we store bedding and extra clothing.

This modification adds 50 to 75# to the tongue weight, but makes sleeping in the loft far more comfortable. Getting in and out much improved as no one has to climb over the other.

Hope the photos are helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp loft, closer view.jpg   Scamp loft, long view.jpg  

Scamp steps.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #19

California
Thanks Stretcher! That looks great and SO comfy! The mattress you got was the memory foam one? It looks like with the set up though you can't use the bunks?

Thanks for taking the time and taking the pics!

Best,

Amy
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #20

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy s View Post
Thanks Stretcher! That looks great and SO comfy! The mattress you got was the memory foam one? It looks like with the set up though you can't use the bunks?

Thanks for taking the time and taking the pics!

Best,

Amy
Mattress is a moderately priced full size to which we added a memory foam pad. No, we can't use the bunks. The reality of the bunks is that a person sleeping in the far front has to crawl over two other people, if someone is in the top bunk. Not a very practical setup.

Tags
scamp